elinchrom pricing

alexkidd

D.O.N.K.E.Y.
Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
granted the lights are supposed to be pretty decent so price premium is somewhat understandable but

£52.00 for a translucent umbrella when the lencarta equivalent is £17.63

can anyone come up with a legitimate reason for the massive price difference or is it just elinchrom being cocks?

it's actually put me off buying the dlites being sold in the classifieds :/

The difference is professional equipment over amateur ! the Elinchrom gear is built to be used day in and day out for years no just now and again.
I have been using Elinchrom gear since 1990 and still have and use some kit from then.

granted the lights are supposed to be pretty decent so price premium is somewhat understandable but

£52.00 for a translucent umbrella when the lencarta equivalent is £17.63

can anyone come up with a legitimate reason for the massive price difference or is it just elinchrom being cocks?

it's actually put me off buying the dlites being sold in the classifieds :/

Y'know I hear you on this one Alex, over the past month I've been pricing up a mobile rig for outdoors and Elinchrom are not going to be on the list, neither are Profoto or Hensel.

Not at this point anyway. I have the choice of either go cheaper or not at all.

I understand it's good gear and all that but come on.

I had a quote yesterday for 4000 euro for a single ring flash and pack! :thumbsdown:

It's actually cheaper for me buy a petrol powered generator, Walimex gear and an Alien Bee's Zeus ring flash, despite all the extra hands to help out, the power conversion, VAT and shipping.

Lencarta are certainly getting a sniff too, the Safari 600 looks like a good contender.

I've got one, it's actually very good (y) and for not too much extra you can add a couple of Safari portable heads.

I did a mini review of it here!

I've seen that Ed, very good Sir.
It indeed looks like a very good buy indeed, the only thing that I need to confirm is that it will take one of these or similar.

I'll mail Garry at some point and ask, I know there is a standard diffuser but I need summat like the above and a reflector version too.

It comes as standard as a reflector version and there is a clip on plastic diffuser available to soften the light if required, but I've not seen anything like that in your link.

It's a pity you are not in the UK as they offer a 30 day money back guarantee if not satisfied.

It comes as standard as a reflector version and there is a clip on plastic diffuser available to soften the light if required, but I've not seen anything like that in your link.

It's a pity you are not in the UK as they offer a 30 day money back guarantee if not satisfied.

I'm sure I would be happy, it's a powerful ringflash and rated highly, I can also assume that building that kind of a diffuser wouldn't be too hard anyway.

Unlike some folk, Garry has also quoted very reasonable postage to Finland too.

At the moment it's between the Zeus and the Safari.

tom king i understand that reasoning when it comes to the flash heads but for an umbrella? :/

i'd agree completely if they didn't have a non standard size umbrella hole :)

i'd agree completely if they didn't have a non standard size umbrella hole :)

Ha ha! I just remembered that! I didn't take my elinchrom brollie with me to a shoot thinking I could use my Wescott jobbies. :bonk:

Thank the heavens for gaffa. :D

I use elinchrom kit and must agree that the price they charge for some of the light modifiers and accessories is criminal. they get away with the price on the umbrella simply becasue you can't use any other brand due to the size of the stalk that need to be used.

That being said, the elinchrom kit is superb and lasts. The sad fact is that you often get what you pay for and cheapest isn't always best. A friend of mine uses one of the cheaper brands of equipment and whilst his initila outlay was far less than mine, he has had to replace so much of it over the past 2 years due to wear and tear and failure issues that in real terms, he's actually now spent more than I have on lighting equipment but hasn't got quality kit.

I use elinchrom kit and must agree that the price they charge for some of the light modifiers and accessories is criminal. they get away with the price on the umbrella simply becasue you can't use any other brand due to the size of the stalk that need to be used.

That being said, the elinchrom kit is superb and lasts. The sad fact is that you often get what you pay for and cheapest isn't always best. A friend of mine uses one of the cheaper brands of equipment and whilst his initila outlay was far less than mine, he has had to replace so much of it over the past 2 years due to wear and tear and failure issues that in real terms, he's actually now spent more than I have on lighting equipment but hasn't got quality kit.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for but I'm not so sure that Elinchrom is the only brand that offers value for money as well as quality build.
Which was the brand that y'mate invested in? would be handy to know ;)

Back