Ellesmere Triathlon

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, so got my 40D earlier in the week and decided this would be the perfect opportunity to get out and use it!

First time i've shot any sports, and I felt really out of practice. I'm still quite happy that I got a few that i'm really happy with.

I'd love some feedback on theres, where I could have done better etc.

None of these have been processed at all. Straight out of camera.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

None of these have been processed at all. Straight out of camera.

I'm puzzled as to why you would do or say that? The photos need quite a lot of work and to be honest rescuing; although some are destined to go straight into the bin I'm afraid.

Your first mistake is shooting at f/8. The aperture is far too narrow for sport, especially when that's only giving you 1/125th. You need to bump up the ISO, widen the aperture and be shooting at at least 1/400th for the running shots and upwards of 1/640-800 for the cycling ones. All with the exception of the last, which was obviously deliberately shot as a pan and is easily the best of the set.

Most of the shots are underexposed and if you are going to shoot semi auto then you need to use EC to balance the frames.

Most of the photos have far too busy a background, which isn't helped by the DoF. Something which you should be thinking about constantly.

I'd also be tempted to check your Jpeg settings, as the dynamic range seems far too compressed for a 40D. Have you got the contrast turned up?

There's work to be done on the composition, shot and pose selection (ie the moment of capture), and the cropping, but I think that you need to concentrate on the basics first to be honest.

Sorry to be brutal, but your skills are going to need a lot of practice in this field!

confused by the pic of the guy in pic2, he's heading out of T1 wearing running shoes, with bike shoes already clipped in - what's he going to do when he gets on?

Was it a very long transition?

I'm puzzled as to why you would do or say that? The photos need quite a lot of work and to be honest rescuing; although some are destined to go straight into the bin I'm afraid. I currently don't have any editing program, though i hope to get that sorted soon

Your first mistake is shooting at f/8. The aperture is far too narrow for sport, especially when that's only giving you 1/125th. You need to bump up the ISO, widen the aperture and be shooting at at least 1/400th for the running shots and upwards of 1/640-800 for the cycling ones. All with the exception of the last, which was obviously deliberately shot as a pan and is easily the best of the set. Thanks for that. This was the first time I was shooting any sport, and I had no idea what sort of settings would give the best results. I varied the setting alot all day, shooting in Av and Tv

Most of the shots are underexposed and if you are going to shoot semi auto then you need to use EC to balance the frames. Sorry, your going to have to explain EC for me?

Most of the photos have far too busy a background, which isn't helped by the DoF. Something which you should be thinking about constantly. Yeah, I suppose I went for a larger DoF to try and improve my hit-rate of properly focused shots. Perhaps this wouldn't have been needed if i'd used the ISO and ******* speed correctly?

I'd also be tempted to check your Jpeg settings, as the dynamic range seems far too compressed for a 40D. Have you got the contrast turned up? No, i've got all the settings pretty much standard. I only use the shutter/iso/aperture/wb etc really

There's work to be done on the composition, shot and pose selection (ie the moment of capture), and the cropping, but I think that you need to concentrate on the basics first to be honest.

Sorry to be brutal, but your skills are going to need a lot of practice in this field!

Don't worry, I appriciate the feedback. I'll never learn without people giving honest feedback!

confused by the pic of the guy in pic2, he's heading out of T1 wearing running shoes, with bike shoes already clipped in - what's he going to do when he gets on?

Was it a very long transition?

Well, i'd not even noticed that! I didn't see what he did once he'd past the bike mount line so I can't tell you what he did?

I'm not sure what counts as long really, but from the swim in point to the bike mount line was roughly 150m?

Back