English National Sheepdog Trials

Edit My Images
Yes
Spent Saturday afternoon at the Sheepdog trials at Kirkby Lonsdale. Pics taken with Canon 30D and 24-105L lens.

Holding area for the sheep before selecting 5 to ‘take part’
IMG_1535.JPG

Sending the dog up the course to collect the five sheep
IMG_1524.JPG

Driving the sheep down the course
IMG_1495.JPG

Through a gate
IMG_1526.JPG

Drive the sheep into the splitting area
IMG_1548.JPG

Try and split the two with red collars from the others (failed but with style)
IMG_1504.JPG

Finish off by driving the sheep into the pen
IMG_1531.JPG

Great shots of some of the most beautiful countryside in all of the UK..:)

Anyone remember Phil Drabble on the TV's One Man And His Dog.

Enjoyed looking through those. :)

Not that it matters but your processing seems to vary quite a bit from shot to shot.

A very nice series. Yes, the post processing is very varied. Most of the first few shots are very pale, then there are some with good saturation, then more pale ones etc.
The first thing that struck me though, was how distant the action is, I can hardly see what is going on. Maybe you could crop them a bit from the original and get into the action!
A nice day out though, I bet, and how did you stop yourself from buying one of those puppies? ;)

Thanks for the comments.

The pictures aren't processed in any way. They are straight out of the camera, shooting in full auto or landscape mode. I'm puzzled myself why the picture colours vary so much? The light was very variable throughout the day. Any hints/tips gratefully received.

I did start shooting in raw when i first got the camera, but decided to shoot in the auto modes, so i could see what the camera was capable of! I was under the impression that in auto mode I shouldn't need to process? I never needed to do anything to the pictures with my old G2.

I initially did crop the images so the action was closer, but I wasnt happy with the results. ie they all looked 'doctored' and not natural. Plus they all ended up like looking through a letterbox.

As you can see, i have a lot to learn!

No probs Howard. You are in the right place to learn lots of stuff! ;)
We are all here to help each other.
WHat you should keep in your mind as you look at your photos, is how they SHOULD look. Dont think "this was taken in jpg so shouldnt need changing so I wont". If it looks washed out, then sort it in photoshop,.....levels....saturation at least.

If you crop the original as soon as its in photoshop, then there shouldnt be too much of a quality problem, there will be if you just crop this small jpg though.
It shouldnt look like through a letterbox, if you crop it more squarish.

I look on the auto modes as ways of getting the shot while you are learning the camera. If you have to take the shot quick and are not confident with the settings use an auto mode. Otherwise don't touch them.

Start off with A mode - aperture priority and take the same shot at different apertures so you can see the effect. Look at the depth of field (how much in focus) and shutter speeds the camera uses for your aperture setting. Once you know what does what you can be much more creative.

I agree with Robert, thats what I used to do.
Experiment in the garden with a flower...... different apertures and see how the background gets out of focus with the lower numbers (larger aperture).....and when you get up F22 (small aperture) see how all the background is in focus.

Here endeth your first lesson! :)

Back