Environmental Portraits

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
My sister asked me to get some shots of her practising her dressage a couple of weeks ago, and I grabbed these 'portraits' of her and her boyfriend - be interested in your feedback.

4378091735_823cafd565_o.jpg

4379525059_8a1e768b3b_o.jpg

I think the shadows are your biggest enemy in these pics mate. The shadow is right over your sister's face which spoils it for me. Although as a portrait of the horse it's good - although ideally there would have been more space to the left.

And the shadow coming across her fella's left eye is a killer too. You have to be so careful when shooting under trees.

Hope this doesn't come across to negatively - just hopng to help :)

#1 I think your framing is too tight it needs more space in front of the horses nose and maybe a little more of the rider.

#2 When they say keep an eye on your shadows, that's not quite what they mean. If you have got harsh shadows like that, try and keep them off the face and could do with a bit more saturation for me.

Having said that I like both the pics, colours on #1 are lovely and the composition in #2 is great.

Thanks guys, I do know what you mean on the shadows - on the first I had to lighten the face as it was worse than that originally. Going to go back to the original as I had cropped the first also.

I guess some fill-flash was the order of the day there?

I grabbed these 'portraits' of her and her boyfriend

I was abit confused by this until I scrolled down to the second picture.

The colours for the horse are great, though (as said) abit more space to the left would be good.

I like the composition of #2 but would also like abit more saturation.

Back