EOS 60D Lens Upgrade

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm new to the forums so this is my first post :) Apologies if it is a little bit of a silly question or there are answers already on the forums (if so then please direct me in the right place :))

I have a Canon EOS 60D and currently have a Sigma 100-300mm f4 APO EX DG HSM lens along with a Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro and a Canon 50mm f1.8.

I haven't been taking photos for a very long time but I realised that I like taking wildlife photos over any other sort of photography. Since I have been getting more into wildlife photography, I have noticed that my 100-300mm f4 doesn't have quite enough reach most of the time and I would like some advice on an upgrade.

Seeing as I can't afford the 500mm+ range of lenses from Canon, I have been looking at the below and would like your opinions.

Canon EF 300mm f4 USM L IS with a 1.4x teleconverter (I know it is still 300mm but with 300 + the TC, I have more versatility?)
Canon EF 400mm f5.6 USM L
Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 USM L IS

I have read that the 400mm has better IQ than the 300 with a TC but would I actually notice the difference that much? And also I read that the auto focus on the 400mm was supposed to be better but again, is it actually that much better?

If someone could let me know what your thoughts are, I would be very grateful :) or if you have any other lens suggestions which are around the same price as these.

Thanks

I haven't tried that but I heard that the image quality wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a Canon lens. Have you tried it before?

I haven't tried that but I heard that the image quality wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a Canon lens. Have you tried it before?
I don't have that lens but I think it is well thought of, I have a old Canon 300 F4 (non IS) and use a Kenko 1.4 TC with that and get good results, if you are going to get a 1.4 TC anyway ( or borrow one)I'd try it with the Sigma before spending more money on a new lens.

I don't have that lens but I think it is well thought of, I have a old Canon 300 F4 (non IS) and use a Kenko 1.4 TC with that and get good results, if you are going to get a 1.4 TC anyway ( or borrow one)I'd try it with the Sigma before spending more money on a new lens.

Hmm, I might take a look into that then :) Thanks

After buying a 400mm f5.6 a couple of months ago i would advise you to get this lens if its in your budget, the IQ is stunning.

I have looked at them but wasn't sure what the IQ is like :s I am borrowing one off of a friend this weekend so I will see what it's like then :)

Back