Eos 6d Owners Thread!

What tubes? :)

You will like it, I have bought it for wedding. I have tried today in a hotel kitchen where is no natural light, and its low noise performance amazing, nearly nothing until 4000, and just a bit up 12800. Well worth it.

And this is something what depends on camera, the other macro shoots here are more for skills and glasses, in low light all you need to get it right is your exposure.

I'm still continuing to be amazed by the performance of the 6D for the price. I still can't understand these people out there who are saying the AF system is useless for action. I grabbed this shot when a bass player was at the front of stage, he bent down for just a second to give the finger and the 6D tracked and locked on instantly, and this is in concert lighting. I don't see how it could have performed any better:

03.jpg

As for it's low light performance, I've recently started shooting at ISO 6400 without a second thought. I'd never even have considered that on the 7D. This is shot at 6400:

01.jpg

Has anybody found a good place to get a second battery for the 6d? I've seen varying comments about certain aftermarket ones won't work properly etc etc, does this mean I need a genuine Canon battery???

PS: Superb shots getting posted to this thread.....

I'm still continuing to be amazed by the performance of the 6D for the price. I still can't understand these people out there who are saying the AF system is useless for action. I grabbed this shot when a bass player was at the front of stage, he bent down for just a second to give the finger and the 6D tracked and locked on instantly, and this is in concert lighting. I don't see how it could have performed any better:

03.jpg

As for it's low light performance, I've recently started shooting at ISO 6400 without a second thought. I'd never even have considered that on the 7D. This is shot at 6400:

01.jpg

Centre spot or outer focal point?

Because the gripes people have with the AF system depend very much on the way you use it

Has anybody found a good place to get a second battery for the 6d? I've seen varying comments about certain aftermarket ones won't work properly etc etc, does this mean I need a genuine Canon battery???

PS: Superb shots getting posted to this thread.....

I've just ordered one from here, £30 and it is supposed to be a genuine battery. We will see, if it isn't I will be asking for a refund.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-3347B...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1370600715&sr=1-1

Yes there is problem, you can not mount them even without removing plastic ring from lens mount (it's reversible) and then do not zoom out wider then approx 13mm because mirror would hit :bang:into protruding lens element causing error99 and possible damage to the lens/mirror.
Still worth to try if you have the lens and can't step back any more to take the picture IMO.
Just be careful with a zoom ring if you want to try, but if you have still 7D I see no point in risking.

Thanks for the response Nigi. (y)

I've still got mine which I still use with 7D however I thought there was meant to be a problem using EF-S lenses on FF bodies, i.e., something to do with back of lens hitting mirror when zooming? :shrug:

All ef-s lenses will fit on a ff camera by removing the rubber ring but the dangers are signicant. The only safe way to do it is to use an extension tube between the body and the lens. That way you do not take the chance of the mirror striking the lens causing significant damage.

However with the exception of the Canon 60mm lens all lenses I have tried suffer from vignetting to a greater or lesser degree using this method. If anyone has found other lenses that work without vignetting this way please let us all know.

You can google this and watch a video which demonstrates this very well.

Last edited:
I've just ordered one from here, £30 and it is supposed to be a genuine battery. We will see, if it isn't I will be asking for a refund.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-3347B001AA-LP-E6-Battery-Pack/dp/B001ISK0F8/ref=sr_1_1?m=A26692ICH4KH25&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1370600715&sr=1-1

Well battery arrived today, there is 2 grams of difference in weight, the packaging was convincing, it has a slightly different feel to the plastic, it registers with a 7 digit serial number on the camera. Seems legit I guess.

Well battery arrived today, there is 2 grams of difference in weight, the packaging was convincing, it has a slightly different feel to the plastic, it registers with a 7 digit serial number on the camera. Seems legit I guess.

Thanks for the update. Could be worth a look then?

Can anybody point me in the right direction for a flash? Was looking originally at a 430 ex ii but have heard good things about the yongnuo's. Ideally I'd like a trigger too for off camera work. Really need the cost at a minimum too as I'm strapped after the 6d purchase! ;)

Can anybody point me in the right direction for a flash? Was looking originally at a 430 ex ii but have heard good things about the yongnuo's. Ideally I'd like a trigger too for off camera work. Really need the cost at a minimum too as I'm strapped after the 6d purchase! ;)

I picked up a 430EXII from the classifieds for £140, lovely flash, does everything I want. Used it for all sorts of things and it's been flawless. I've not used a Yongnuo flash tho so I won't comment on that.

I also picked up some Yongnuo RF-602/C triggers and remotes (2 of each) and some miscellaneous wires off the classifieds for about £30 all in. They don't allow HSS, but for a first set of cheap remotes they do the job.

I have a 3m wire too for when I cba to search for batteries. Can find these cheap on ebay, that's another option.

Last edited:
9019014538_c10877fd17_b.jpg

Arrived today! Not had much of a chance to play yet, but the wifi feature is awesome! I'm even quite happy the lens has the new cap too :LOL:

"but the wifi feature is awesome" remember if you leave the wifi on it drains the battery, even when the camera is switched of

I've had my 6D for a week now having changed from a 5D mk1, no regrets yet, the low light performance is a huge jump!

"If you leave the wifi on it drains the battery, even when the camera is switched off"

Is that really true? I know that the GPS continues to consume battery when the camera's off (presumably so it can re-establish your position quickly, but I wish that were an option!).

But I'm pretty sure the wifi is switched off by the main switch.

I agree, though, I love the wifi feature and use it much more than I thought I would.

"If you leave the wifi on it drains the battery, even when the camera is switched off"

Is that really true? I know that the GPS continues to consume battery when the camera's off (presumably so it can re-establish your position quickly, but I wish that were an option!).

But I'm pretty sure the wifi is switched off by the main switch.

I agree, though, I love the wifi feature and use it much more than I thought I would.

You are correct , the GPS remains on when the camera is switched off but the WIFI does not

The GPS can be turned off - go to the second spanner in the menu. Stops battery drain. Turn it back on when you need it

Another wee pic from my 6D and Sigma 105 f2.8 Macro Mk1 manual focus (AF is kaput!)

Relax by andywest1, on Flickr

9019014538_c10877fd17_b.jpg

Arrived today! Not had much of a chance to play yet, but the wifi feature is awesome! I'm even quite happy the lens has the new cap too :LOL:

Love mine with the 40mm pancake!! Even tho the 24-105 is excellent also!! :cool:

Last edited:
I've been looking into getting the BG-E13 battery grip but can't get my head around how it works. Do I put AA batteries in it or x2 of the LP-E6 batteries?

Dan

I've been looking into getting the BG-E13 battery grip but can't get my head around how it works. Do I put AA batteries in it or x2 of the LP-E6 batteries?

Dan

The Canon version includes both trays so you can use whatever batteries you prefer.

I said I'd post a few wedding pics taken on the 6D a few weeks back but never got chance... however as promised here's a few from a wedding and also a pre-wed shoot. It's my 2nd body with the 5D MK III being my main one, so please bare in mind these are mainly candids. All but the pre-wed shoot shot were taken with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

9118950464_9c9d0eddd3_z.jpg

9118983728_80726418a5_z.jpg

9118998700_cdd018c3e2_z.jpg

9116781891_e2cc5865ef_z.jpg

9116815319_90d8ee33a3_z.jpg

9116849887_657c3e3e80_z.jpg

Last edited:
I need convincing one way or another, currently have a 60 d and would really love to have 5d mk111 but can't afford it or justify it. Apart from the obvious change to full frame what would be the real benefits of the 6d over the 60d?

I shoot mainly landscapes, close ups of flowers etc, some candid stuff.
Would really welcome some input please:)

Caroline

I need convincing one way or another, currently have a 60 d and would really love to have 5d mk111 but can't afford it or justify it. Apart from the obvious change to full frame what would be the real benefits of the 6d over the 60d?

Caroline

Improved sensor, better in low light, WiFi - big sellers for me :)

Going from a 60d to a 6d will be a huge change. If you have ef lenses.

You will get better bokeh, especially in close-up of flowers due to full frame sensor. Candid will improve due to much better low light / non-flash ability.

Landscapes will show some improvement in detail but, if you were to say you want it primarily for landscapes, someone else would need to input on benefits or lack of, moving from crop to full size sensors - not my field.

Caroline
Which lenses do you currently use on your 60D, and which do you intend to use on a 6D? I found that moving from a 7D + 17-55 F/2.8 IS to a 6D + 24-105 F/4L IS felt more like a side step (IQ/DoF/Noise-wise) than an upgrade. The 6D only leaped ahead once I attached a 24-70 F/2.8. The lesson is that if you already have a great lens on a crop sensor, you need an equally great or greater lens on FF to really notice the difference. F/2.8 on a crop renders pretty similar to F/4 on FF, and with this combi the 6D will lose one of it's one-and-two-thirds stops better noise handling ability. If however you are moving from a 60D + 18-55mm kit lens to a 6D + 24-105, you will notice a HUGE improvement. However, you may be better off financially just purchasing a 17-55 IS for your 60D.

Photography is a bottomless pit where there are always better bodies and better lenses begging you to throw your money into it. Often the differences are hardly worth the expense.

Last edited:
Any one this experience? I always leave my cameras on auto white balance. My 6d is usually a long way out using the auto setting. For example today it used a colour temperature setting of 4400 but it was daylight and using the white balance tool in ACR it should have been 5500. It is easily corrected in ACR but it is disappointing for such a good camera. I also feel the jpegs are significantly over saturated. As I shoot in raw and jpeg this again is not insurmountable.

Anyone have similar experiences,?

Back