Ergonomic Office Chair and height adjustable desk

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Hopefully this is the correct section to post this in. Do any of you guys use ergonomic chairs or height adjustable desks. I am pretty tall and often get bad backs. I have had an Ikea Markus chair for 3 or so years now and the lumber support seems to have given up and come off from within the back of the chair.

I am looking for a new chair that will offer proper support for posture and so on and wondering what you guys use if you have proper ergonomic chairs?

Please let me know if you do what you use and your thoughts on it.

Whilst also looking for a chair I have started to have a little look at height adjustable desks also. Again if you use one let me have your thoughts.

It can be a real pain, literally. I spent ages trying to find a chair with a seat that could be raised to 60cm. But now it's falling apart, so I'm going to have to go through the same process :-(

It can be a real pain, literally. I spent ages trying to find a chair with a seat that could be raised to 60cm. But now it's falling apart, so I'm going to have to go through the same process :-(

Yeah it is literally a pain indeed. My Ikea Markus says its certified for office use for long periods blah blah but it hasn't stood the test of time, which is a shame, not the most expensive chair and hasn't been too bad.

My main issue is I need to have the chair up fairly high, but then my desk is too low. Hence looking at adjustable desks.

Well you've found out that ikea office chairs don't last, but no wonder at the price. Look for instance at http://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-chairs/industrial-chairs.html (with whom I have no connection).

Or see http://www.verd.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/35

Keyboards by the way should be at about elbow height when you're seated.

I guess you are right regarding the ikea chair, although not cheap not expensive either.

I have direct experience of posturite as I had a chair and desk from them at a previous company. I really should have sorted something out for myself a long time ago. Do you have one of their chairs or desks?

Keyboards by the way should be at about elbow height when you're seated.

That's why I need a height adjustable desk.

When thinking about workstation ergonomics you need to start at the bottom. Your buttocks and thighs need to be fully supported by the seat of the chair with your feet flat on the floor (or, if you use one, on a footrest) and your lower legs at 90° (or a little more) to your thighs. Preferably the seat should have a slight downward angle.

For me that requires the seat height to be a little more than 60cm.

Once I've found a seat that goes high enough I have the problem of getting my keyboard to elbow height. That requires a desk height of 80cm.

The one good thing about this is that normal under-desk furniture (like my draw unit) is so small that there's plenty of room for my printer to life on top and it still fits under the desk.

That's why I need a height adjustable desk.

When thinking about workstation ergonomics you need to start at the bottom. Your buttocks and thighs need to be fully supported by the seat of the chair with your feet flat on the floor (or, if you use one, on a footrest) and your lower legs at 90° (or a little more) to your thighs. Preferably the seat should have a slight downward angle.

For me that requires the seat height to be a little more than 60cm.

Once I've found a seat that goes high enough I have the problem of getting my keyboard to elbow height. That requires a desk height of 80cm.

The one good thing about this is that normal under-desk furniture (like my draw unit) is so small that there's plenty of room for my printer to life on top and it still fits under the desk.

Yes totally agree with what you say there. And the good thing you mention is indeed a good thing I agree.

What desk/chair do you have then, do you have any companies you would recommend.

What desk/chair do you have then, do you have any companies you would recommend.

Annoyingly, it's been many years since I bought my desk and chair and I can't remember where I got them. I'd like to order the same chair if I could dig out the details.

Can't sit at a desk for long before I get terrible back and neck pain. I now stand at a cabinet which I found the right height for monitor and lkeyboard/mouse which I find has solved the bad back problem.. My legs hurt like **** though! ;)

Can't sit at a desk for long before I get terrible back and neck pain. I now stand at a cabinet which I found the right height for monitor and lkeyboard/mouse which I find has solved the bad back problem.. My legs hurt like **** though! ;)

Now that, right there, is why I want a height adjustable desk that goes from sitting to standing, I get pressure pain in the joint of my kneck a lot, I also hear standing has a lot of health benefits.

Well I can put up with the leg aches more than the back/neck pain I had and it's a lot easier to stretch your legs etc. I also use an 'anti-fatigue mat' to stand on which improved things a lot.

AL

I recently started to suffer with some back and neck problems but more worryingly my legs were going dead. I now spend a huge amount of my working day sat on my backside and have done for the past two years but the problem got quite severe. I was advised to get a decent chair. My previous chairs were decent and cost between £250 - £400 and were quite adjustable. After a lot of researching and trying different chairs I went for this one and it is absolutely great, but is quite expensive. The amount of pain and discomfort I was in made it very worthwhile so I bit the bullet and bought it.

http://www.back2.co.uk/RH-Logic-400-Elegance-p300.html

It adjusts in every way and I have customised it to me and my working style. It comes in 2 x different height adjustable versions with one specifically for tall people. I only needed the standard. The company that I bought it from (Back2) were fantastic, really know their stuff and I would thoroughly recommend them. They also do height adjustable desks and I will be looking at one of these soon too.

Chris

I recently started to suffer with some back and neck problems but more worryingly my legs were going dead. I now spend a huge amount of my working day sat on my backside and have done for the past two years but the problem got quite severe. I was advised to get a decent chair. My previous chairs were decent and cost between £250 - £400 and were quite adjustable. After a lot of researching and trying different chairs I went for this one and it is absolutely great, but is quite expensive. The amount of pain and discomfort I was in made it very worthwhile so I bit the bullet and bought it.

http://www.back2.co.uk/RH-Logic-400-Elegance-p300.html

It adjusts in every way and I have customised it to me and my working style. It comes in 2 x different height adjustable versions with one specifically for tall people. I only needed the standard. The company that I bought it from (Back2) were fantastic, really know their stuff and I would thoroughly recommend them. They also do height adjustable desks and I will be looking at one of these soon too.

Chris

Thanks for the link and company recommendation Chris. Had a good look at their website just now, have to say they seem very expensive, but the the main thing is you got a chair that suits you and solves your issues.

I got a lady calling me from Posturite tomorrow, will be interesting to see how it goes. I have experience of them through a previous place of work.

I have one (well, actually 2 as I have one at work and at home) of these: http://ergochair.co.uk/products/_/adapt_700/adapt_700. (similar price to the logic 400)

I am 6' 8" tall and 25ish stone and actually had the seat made to my measurements - seat base and lumbar support were placed after measuring me.

For height adjustable desks... I use an Ikea desk at home with height adjustable legs set appropriately. In work, the desk is placed on blocks of wood to raise it to the right level.

Thanks for the link and company recommendation Chris. Had a good look at their website just now, have to say they seem very expensive, but the the main thing is you got a chair that suits you and solves your issues.

I got a lady calling me from Posturite tomorrow, will be interesting to see how it goes. I have experience of them through a previous place of work.

Posturite are good Anthony. They are similar to Back 2 and are very helpful.

Chris

Guys, just weighing up some more options at lunchtime for chairs from places other than Posturite or Back2 etc.....

Wondering if its best to get a chair fitted to me or a "off the shelf" ergonomic chair.

What about things such as the following -

Herman Millers (Various) Celle and Sayle I like the look of

http://www.bestbuy-officechairs.co....Office_Chair&gclid=CL7Pq8Gth7wCFe3HtAodDwcABg

Really just mulling over things, so be interesting to hear your thoughts.

The staples cashmir ( think that's the right model ) often gets recommended on ocuk. It's a tad pricey though and people recommend waiting for sales.

Damn! That would be great if only the arms were adjustable.

The staples cashmir ( think that's the right model ) often gets recommended on ocuk. It's a tad pricey though and people recommend waiting for sales.

I've got one of them. Don't like it one bit. Minimal support for the back. Had to be put together on delivery, and that's a right PIA to do. Then one of the arm supports broke after 6 months, by which time the local store had closed down. I was told to return it to some remote depot - at my expense - and they would then decide if it was faulty or user error. Turns out the arms are not aluminium as they appear but some plastic composite. If it was user error then I'd have to pay to get it returned to me. Never again.

Guys, just weighing up some more options at lunchtime for chairs from places other than Posturite or Back2 etc.....

Wondering if its best to get a chair fitted to me or a "off the shelf" ergonomic chair.

What about things such as the following -

Herman Millers (Various) Celle and Sayle I like the look of

http://www.bestbuy-officechairs.co.uk/shop/count-mesh-chair.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=XMLbase_feed&utm_term=Mesh Office Chairs&utm_campaign=Count_Mesh_Office_Chair&gclid=CL7Pq8Gth7wCFe3HtAodDwcABg

Really just mulling over things, so be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I tried 2 different Herman Miller chairs. One was the embody which looks great. I found them both very uncomfortable and Back 2 took them back which is how I ended up with the Logic 400 that I love. I was advised that these were style over substance but seen as design classics and there are many people out there that love them. For me they were fantastically made but not right for me.

Chris

I tried 2 different Herman Miller chairs. One was the embody which looks great. I found them both very uncomfortable and Back 2 took them back which is how I ended up with the Logic 400 that I love. I was advised that these were style over substance but seen as design classics and there are many people out there that love them. For me they were fantastically made but not right for me.

Chris

I kinda got the design over substance idea yesterday, the more I looked at the chairs, read reviews and so on, they seem to cost a vast amount and don't have some of the features that other chairs from say Posturite or Back2 have.

Reason I looked at them in the first place is that loads of people rave about them online, especially the embody version with its kinda skeletal back section that apparently moulds to you.

I just want a comfy supportive chair, not bothered about gimmicks as such or what it looks like, main thing is comfort for sure.

Well, what a day, managed to call a few places at lunchtime today, to try and get some advice. Back2 I have to say, along with Posturite were the most helpful.

Posturite can send someone out to me to measure up and advise. Back2, can't, they are based in London, same with a few of the others as well, guy at Back2 said best to come down and spend some time in the showroom try things out, they told me to measure my desk height so they can set one up same height in their showroom, try all chairs, different specs and everything.

Fantastic, but they are in London and I am in Nottingham.

What have you guys done in terms of getting to try things out, have you all had to go to London or do you have local people. It seems I don't have anything local at all.

As on off the shelf product I am really starting to like the Herman Miller Mirra/Mirra2, Back2 guy said they were good also. But he said a custom fit chair maybe better.

Posturite said Herman Miller are style over substance.

I have literally given myself a pain in the neck trying to sort this all out and I don't feel like I have got anywhere.

What are your thoughts/advice on this guys?

I live in Merseyside and Back 2 couldn't come out to measure me up. Posturite have some kind od consultants dotted around the UK that will visit. However, Back 2 let me try chairs and when I needed them swopped they have a man with a van who is fantastic and arranges with you to pick up and swop. He works for them and takes chairs all over the place. It was a fantastic service.

Chris

I live in Merseyside and Back 2 couldn't come out to measure me up. Posturite have some kind od consultants dotted around the UK that will visit. However, Back 2 let me try chairs and when I needed them swopped they have a man with a van who is fantastic and arranges with you to pick up and swop. He works for them and takes chairs all over the place. It was a fantastic service.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for getting back to me. So did you make the trip to London to see Back2 in the first place?

Well after a lot of thought, a lot of research and help from you guys I have used the company Back2 to purchase my new chair.

I have gone for the Herman Miller Mirra chair, fully loaded with all the options, which should arrive early next week. Very much looking forward to it. Hopefully I will get on with it :)

I can update this thread next week with my progress if anyone is interested.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread who has offered me thoughts/opinions and recommendations.

Last edited:
Back