Ermita and grounds

Name
Neil McLeland
Edit My Images
Yes
Many of the towns and villages have an ermita, a name which originates from 'hermitage'. Although appearing to be religious they are a place for recreation and contemplation for anyone to visit.

Our neighbouring town of Castello de Rugat has a fairly grand example which we visited yesterday.

I used this opportunity to practice my composition in the camera rather than relying on cropping later, these are all uncropped except for one which had a few rogue leaves cropped from an edge.

#1 Pathway leading to the ermita
castello_path.jpg

#2 A monument depicting a religious scene with the Vall d'Albaida stretching into the distance
castello_shrine_view.jpg

#3 The monuments are sponsored individually by local families
castello_shrine.jpg

#4 The ermita sits on the highest point of the town
castello_arch.jpg

#5 The building
castello_ermita.jpg

#6 Benches provided for contemplation (all, strangely, facing away from the panoramic views)
castello_seat.jpg

#7 A 'field' of prickly pears
castello_ppears.jpg

#8 The view over the medieval part of Castello de Rugat
castello_rooftops.jpg

Thanks for looking and C&C always very welcome

Neil

I think #3 wins for composition. I would have cropped #8 to get rid of the barbed wire wall or when taking the image, start at a point that excluded the barbed wire. Had you cropped it to the same aspect ratio and then resized to 800, we would not have known that you had cropped it all.

I prefer to try and get the composition in the camera rather than use cropping later to arrive at the image. It makes the image creation more of a challenge and causes you to think more about what you are trying to achieve. Excellent set.

Very nice. The first shot is nicely composed (pity the tower is slightly hidden), but the last shot of the roofscape is my favourite.

Regards, Tony

Thanks Tony, glad you liked them and were able to pick a favourite. Personally I like the roofscape type of photo around here, the tiles tend to have very warm colours.

I think #3 wins for composition. I would have cropped #8 to get rid of the barbed wire wall or when taking the image, start at a point that excluded the barbed wire. Had you cropped it to the same aspect ratio and then resized to 800, we would not have known that you had cropped it all.

I prefer to try and get the composition in the camera rather than use cropping later to arrive at the image. It makes the image creation more of a challenge and causes you to think more about what you are trying to achieve. Excellent set.

Thank you Russell, you are right about the fence in #8 (except its only chainlink with stuff growing on it ;)) I hadn't noticed it when framing the shot :bang:.

And yes, it is good to plan the shots more in terms of composition, it was actually your recent thread on 'thirds' that inspired me to try a bit harder (y)

Neil

Looks a very nice place, some good shots there

Thank you. It's a very typical town around here, steeped in history and beautiful - in a well worn, second-hand sort of way ;)

Neil

Nice set. No 1. would have been a belter with that tree chopped down :)

Thank you Russell, you are right about the fence in #8 (except its only chainlink with stuff growing on it ;)) I hadn't noticed it when framing the shot :bang:.

And yes, it is good to plan the shots more in terms of composition, it was actually your recent thread on 'thirds' that inspired me to try a bit harder (y)

Neil

Neil. I know lots of people (including me) post images which they have cropped from some larger image; some of these images are great. I am mean and like to use as much as the original image as I can. Thus I try and take as much care as I can with what the camera captures - doesn't mean I always succeed. This includes the composition. If it is right in the camera then I think my post prod can be simpler and more effective. In most instances, I think I have failed in some way if I have to crop the image to get the effect.

Morning all,

This is a lovely set and I have to agree with yourself and Russell that getting it right in camera is the best bet and I've been trying to do this since reading Russells thread as well. Makes for a definite improvement in compositional skills.
By the way I love No's 2 & 8, always have liked roofscapes.
Shame you didn't have better weather. :razz::LOL:

Andy

Morning all,

This is a lovely set and I have to agree with yourself and Russell that getting it right in camera is the best bet and I've been trying to do this since reading Russells thread as well. Makes for a definite improvement in compositional skills.
By the way I love No's 2 & 8, always have liked roofscapes.
Shame you didn't have better weather. :razz::LOL:

Andy

Thank you Andy!

Well I think we are all in agreement then ;)

Oh, and yes - shame about the weather, I'm hoping for better next time :wave:

Neil

Back