Experimenting with concepts

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

First one is a go at trying a 'surreal' or conceptual feel - edited in to black and white, hoping to get silver efex pro or some similar program in future to make these a little better. Anyway C&C as always :)

czechmate by _dele, on Flickr

Second one is just trying out the outfit really to make an otherwise ordinary headshot more interesting? Not sure if it worked or not.

nice tie by _dele, on Flickr

Thanks guys!

I love that first one! Agreed, great idea!

Love the concept in No1- the Mono conversion works very well too :clap:

No 2 does nothing for me Im afraid

Les (y)

I like number one a very Alice in Wonderland thing going on.

Love number 1. I also like the second one but not as much!! There's one hell of a depth of field there which is something I've always been a fan of. My only criticism is that her right eye (left as you see the pic) looks slightly soft. It might just be my iPad that I'm viewing it on.

Excellent, thanks very much for the feedback :) I first shot one where there was a stuffed toy on the swing in the BG as well, but it was too distracting i found.
I'll be thinking of other ideas along the 'fairytale' theme see what comes up.

Looks like i'll be scrapping number two then :)

Cheers again for all the thoughts!

Just a couple of thoughts -

Number 1 - excellent concept - the picture tells it's own story. B+W and DoF are just right.
The title is subtle.

Number 2 - average. Why ? Your title indicates we should look at the tie.
The tie is grossly out of focus and from that point we look negatively at the shot. This presumably is a self portrait and you've left the camera to focus for itself on self timer or remote.
The selection of a shallow DoF (large aperture) means that we want the tie out of focus and we can title accordingly for that so that we look at you, then the tie, not the tie then you.

However, in taking, the camera's focused on the end of your nose, oh bother, leaving your eyes slightly soft. It's the eyes that should be the focusing point which is difficult doing it yourself. It's the eyes that matter in a portrait 'cos that's where we look first for our communication. Just a few thoughts, that's all.

Last edited:
Back