Ezybox Copies

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just sold my Bowens flashes, because they were essentially complete overkill for what I need, I have been looking for a somewhat simpler way of experimenting with OCF. I've seen quite a few Ezybox type copies on eBay for around £25-£30 and reckon one of these would be ideal.

Has anyone here used them? I know you generally get what you pay for but are the genuine Lastolite ones really worth the difference?

I got one of ebay, £45 i think. Does the job, decent enough build but i havent directly compared it to a westcott equivalent. For learning OCF its done me fine. However, its not an 'umbrella' type, which im leaning towards for ease of carry / set up.

Having just sold my Bowens flashes, because they were essentially complete overkill for what I need, I have been looking for a somewhat simpler way of experimenting with OCF. I've seen quite a few Ezybox type copies on eBay for around £25-£30 and reckon one of these would be ideal.

Has anyone here used them? I know you generally get what you pay for but are the genuine Lastolite ones really worth the difference?

Make sure you get one with two diffusers if you're using it with Speedlites, otherwise you'll get hot spots.

I bought mine from Cotsworld on ebay, very good it has two diffusers. Made well and fine for me.

Thanks for the tip Jenny :)

I have one of these:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002W9G8VM/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sometimes add a Stofen diffuser to the Speedlite as well for yet another level of diffusion. The problem with Speedlites being used with Strobe-style modifiers is that the flash light is very small and highly directional, unlike the bare bulb of a strobe.

Recently I found one of these which I'd been looking for for a long time and has massively improved the softbox:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310854167865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I shall be sure to get grids whenever possible in future.

I have one. it works as a nice fairly small softbox, but it is still plenty for headshots and product work. The light fall off is nowhere near as good as the real deal (studio lights), but better clearly more usable than plain umbrella

Build can be cheap. Mine required modifying the light stand mount as the supplied ball head was rubbish at best. Also make sure the speedring is attached with 2 screws, not one. Perhaps get double diffuser version if softer and smoother light is your preference. Biggest = best without a doubt, wouldn't consider less than 60cm.

P.S. The better alternative could be flashbender XL kit - more expensive but lighter, more versatile and quicker to set up.

Last edited:
I bought mine from Cotsworld on ebay, very good it has two diffusers. Made well and fine for me.

I have this one as well and it works well.

Back