F15E Eagles Low Down And Dirty

stunning - just stunning!
love the vortex coming off the wings.
never realised how big these things are!

These are without question as good if not better than any I have seen of this subject !

Two is FANTASTIC !

Three is so clear and detailed,which at that speed is astonishing !

A ringing endorsement to your high levels of skill,and sharpness of Nikon.

Fabulous shots.

Pons

Just seen these and frelling WOW is all I can say!!!!

Stunning ! Do you have the grid co-ordinates or some location you could post up of this exact spot. I'd hate to travel all the way there, to be on the wrong side of a hill ;-)
Thanks for showing them...really top work.

Stunning ! Do you have the grid co-ordinates or some location you could post up of this exact spot. I'd hate to travel all the way there, to be on the wrong side of a hill ;-)
Thanks for showing them...really top work.

Cheers for the comments. Here's the grid ref...

N 52.42.31 - W 3.50.46

Mark:)

Thanks for the comments guy's :)

These were taken from Cad West which is situated in the Mach Loop, Mid Wales. Its a well known spot for low flying photographers but theres also a ferw other locations around the area. I use a D300 with a 300mm f2.8 prime lens. Most pilots that use the loop for low level know that there's a good chance they'll get their photo taken and know most of the Military Aviation Photo forums. I know quite a few crew members from different squadrons and bases and always give them high res copies if I've managed to snap them. I was contacted by the back seater of this F15 who wanted to get his hands on some shots to hang on his wall.

Thanks again,

Now I bet thats a very strange sight, seeing all those photographers flying around :naughty:.

Very nice shots.

Have to agree with the comments already posted, get set. Looks like a real buzz when you get this type of image.
Ever had any A10's at low level? Watched one once on Salisbury Plain doing tight figure of eight attacks on tanks. Very ugly, but what a piece of kit!

Couple of questions come to mind, first off. How do you know the aircraft are flying on the days you climb the valleys or do you just go hoping to "get lucky"
Second one I've just answered myself looking at the exif! ha ha

Shaun

love the pics

where is this?? N 52.42.31 - W 3.50.46

dont know how to locate these positons.

is there many good spots in wales to se them?

love the pics

where is this?? N 52.42.31 - W 3.50.46

dont know how to locate these positons.

is there many good spots in wales to se them?

You can reference those points to Google Earth that will display latitude and longitude. Start at Aberystwyth and go North East.

Best spots in Wales are the Loop and the A5 pass. The standard Ho-Chi-Minh trail generally takes the jets down the Bala Valley but I'm not sure what the vantage points are like there.

Cheesy

Cheesy,

Thank you for that input, which begs the next question ....

How do you know what's coming down there? Would one just go in the hope of catching something, or is there a site where one can check what's going to fly, at what times, and where?

Again, thank you for the reply.

Cheesy,

Thank you for that input, which begs the next question ....

How do you know what's coming down there? Would one just go in the hope of catching something, or is there a site where one can check what's going to fly, at what times, and where?

Again, thank you for the reply.

Never been up in the hills to shoot myself, I tend to be on the other side of the lens. If you go to the Loop or the A5 pass then aircraft will always come through - as long as the weather is legal and the RAF or USAF are flying.

Cheesy

Cheesy,

Thank you for that bit, it seems that a plan to catch you will be in order.

hi cheesey

i stopped at new quay in september and when driving to devils bridge saw a jet and hercules flying over

but was drving so didnt see much

hi cheesey

i stopped at new quay in september and when driving to devils bridge saw a jet and hercules flying over

but was drving so didnt see much

There maybe a few locations around Devils Bridge but the loop will get the most traffic and has the best viewing locations. There is a location called Hearbreak Hill which is located on the hills towards Bala but aircraft are usually flying straight and level so not very exciting. Its always hit and miss on whether you'll get to see something but after over 30 visits I've only ever had one blank day (the weather was pants to be fair).

@Boggy...

I've never seen A10's myself but they have done the loop low level before now, their on my 'to get' list;)

For anyone considering a visit to any of the locations around the loop you must make sure that you have good weather proof clothing and good walking boots. The winter months can be very cold and slippery, so always take care.

Last edited:
Not sure if posting a direct link to someone else's photo is allowed, but since I'm saying nice things about it I'll take the chance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markjayne/3102139427/sizes/o/

{photo credit Mark Jayne}

That's an amazing shot! I assume the circular vortices are as photographed with no post pro enhancements? I wouldn't want to be a little tweety birdie flying along minding my own when one of those vortices grabs hold..! :eek:

Not sure if posting a direct link to someone else's photo is allowed, but since I'm saying nice things about it I'll take the chance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markjayne/3102139427/sizes/o/

{photo credit Mark Jayne}

That's an amazing shot! I assume the circular vortices are as photographed with no post pro enhancements? I wouldn't want to be a little tweety birdie flying along minding my own when one of those vortices grabs hold..! :eek:

Cheers natterjak :)

It is amazing what shapes the vapour makes.

And it seems to trail from a different position on each wing. I'm sure a physicist will be along shortly to explain all this.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh the joys of airflow over leading edges and the effect there of! ha ha
Would like a go at this but it's a fair distance from me, so as long as the weather is good there is traffic in the loop? Would need to make sure the journey was worth it!
Make lots of bits for aircraft and items that pilots use, would hack the guys off if I had some low level shots about the place! Especially if we had a vist/audit from the RAF

@ Mark, how long is your "to get" list? What would you like to get? I guess the F15 would score quite high.

Shaun

And it seems to trail from a different position on each wing. I'm sure a physicist will be along shortly to explain all this.

High pressure air below the wing meets low pressure air above. One mass of air is trying to move inboard, the other outboard, when they meet they for the vortex. (I think this is correct but I'll have to ask an A2 when I get back to work). What is true is that this vortex is draggy, designers go to a lot of effort to minimize it - for example the winglets on just about every modern airliner, or placing AAMs on the wingtip like the F16 and F18.

That photo is absolutely incredible!

Cheesy

Back