Failed lens repair/ calibration for 3rd time

Edit My Images
Yes
After having my Tamron 17-50 for nearly 2 years, it developed a fault. When shooting subjects at f2.8 more than 3m away, it would completely miss focus and end up sharp on a distant object sometimes 15m away. I checked and rechecked and compared with other lens but the problem was definitely there. I returned it under extended warranty for repair. I sent my camera with it to have the lens matched to the camera. It was returned and within 5 minutes I found the fault to still be there.

The camera and lens were returned for a second time and I asked that if the lens were to be replaced (suggested to me), that a new lens be calibrated to the body (as the previous one had when it was new). When the *New* lens and body where returned, the lens had serious front focus (4inchs) at 17mm f2.8 on subjects about 0.5m away. All other focal lengths were fine.

The lens and camera went back for a third time and when returned the new lens now front focuses to varying degrees at all focal lengths. The worst being f2.8 at 50mm where it misses by about 50mm or more.

I don't know exactly how a calibration is carried out, but I cannot understand how this can happen. I was told that new software updates were carried out and various other adjustments. The lens is a sharp copy, but in completely the wrong place. The lens it replaced was always spot on when focusing prior to the fault and I am frustrated that this hasn't been corrected.

All dealings i have had with the service centre have been pleasant and response has been speedy. I am waiting for them to get back to me at the moment, but it has been suggested that the camera and lens may need to go to Germany. My main concern (apart from putting my camera in the post again) is will they do any better???

Back