Family Portrait - Improvement?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted a portrait set last week (thread here) where the general critique was focused around me needing to concentrate on my backgrounds during composition, as there was a lot of distracting pipes, twigs, flowers etc

Well I had another two portrait sessions this weekend and thought I would post from one of the sessions.

I would therefore be grateful for comments and critique generally about the set and just to be cheeky, :nuts: ask people if they think it is an improvement on my previsous post in terms of the composition.

Thanks again and the harsher the comments the better.

Marsdens-5877.jpg

Marsdens-5881.jpg

Marsdens-5896.jpg

Marsdens-5902.jpg

Marsdens-5911.jpg

Marsdens-5979.jpg

Marsdens-6019.jpg

Thanks for looking

Great expressions in No.3,nothing to complain about there

I like them. If I was them I would have No.5 or 7 framed in my house :)

The expressions are adorable on the little boys!

A superb set Richard. The simplicity, colours and Bokeh of these backgrounds are great. You've captured some lovely expresions and shots you should be proud of, especially the colour ones :clap:

Great expressions in No.3,nothing to complain about there

Thanks - 3 is one of my faves

I like them. If I was them I would have No.5 or 7 framed in my house :)

The expressions are adorable on the little boys!

Thanks for your comments

A superb set Richard. The simplicity, colours and Bokeh of these backgrounds are great. You've captured some lovely expresions and shots you should be proud of, especially the colour ones :clap:

Thanks V8, I'm hoping I am showing an improvement, I stuck to just one lens on this shoot, my 70-200 2.8 and I am just loving it as a lens for this sort of work - my photography appears to be really coming on and the lens gives such nice bokeh on the backgrounds

wow

no.6 really great. dont know if there was an intentional tilt or not but imo needed to be either or and it kinda looks in between.

no. 7 would look better (again imo) if the image was straightened and the step was horizontal.

another great set!

Hi Richard

I like to get my subjects doing something that makes them unaware of the camera. Try finding a long pathway or road (blocked of to cars of course) and get your subjects to walk away from you all holding hands. Try the same with them all running towards the camera. This is one trick I use to get a family enjoying thier surroundings and to become unconcious of me.

I'll send a post in a minute of what I mean

Great pics mind

Regards

Andy

Last edited:
great set!

Being picky I would say be careful about what you chop off!

Elbows and feet being chopped off just makes them feel a bit uncomfortable

wow

no.6 really great. dont know if there was an intentional tilt or not but imo needed to be either or and it kinda looks in between.

no. 7 would look better (again imo) if the image was straightened and the step was horizontal.

another great set!

Thanks for your comments - not sure if the steps were a bit of an optical illusion, as I think I tried straightening this one to the steps, but then the family seemed leant over the other way. Thanks for your valid comments though - appreciate it (y)

Hi Richard

I like to get my subjects doing something that makes them unaware of the camera. Try finding a long pathway or road (blocked of to cars of course) and get your subjects to walk away from you all holding hands. Try the same with them all running towards the camera. This is one trick I use to get a family enjoying thier surroundings and to become unconcious of me.

I'll send a post in a minute of what I mean

Great pics mind

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy - Like the image you posted. I did get some photos of them walking, but just prefered the ones I posted out of the set I took. The jumping is one I haven't tried and I would imagine it gets the kids in the family giddy and relaxed

great set!

Being picky I would say be careful about what you chop off!

Elbows and feet being chopped off just makes them feel a bit uncomfortable

Thanks for your comments, one if the things I noticed about this shoot is just how fast kids move, and trying to frame them when they move so quick was a nightmare - the other thing I struggled with was getting eye contact with the two lads at the same time!!!

lovely set, off to the printers methinks

Thanks - I hope they are pleased with them

great set.

Thanks

Hi Richard :)

Lovely set of photos here. My favourites are number 2,3 & 4, with #4 being the best one for me. I love the natural feeling/atmosphere that it gives me when I look at it, plus the 'cwtchiness' and relaxed feeling that this family show. Even though they are focussing on the camera, they still look very relaxed and at ease. I think you've done very well. (y)

2 great sets this one being the best you seem to of gotten rid of all the busy backgrounds and foregrounds and produced some fantastic shots. Only thing i am not keen on is #5 the B&W conversion makes the shot look flat the colour is just fine.

I like these a lot too. One small note may be that they could do with a slight contrast boost. Maybe just my own preference but nice job and I'm sure the family will love them all :)

very nice set of shots(y)

#7 is a clear fav for me,i would definitely have that printed if it was of my family(y)

sean

Hi Richard :)

Lovely set of photos here. My favourites are number 2,3 & 4, with #4 being the best one for me. I love the natural feeling/atmosphere that it gives me when I look at it, plus the 'cwtchiness' and relaxed feeling that this family show. Even though they are focussing on the camera, they still look very relaxed and at ease. I think you've done very well. (y)

Thank you for your comments Beth

7 works best to me (no angry faces)

Thanks

7 would be on the wall without a doubt.

Really nice set.

Thanks Scotty

2 great sets this one being the best you seem to of gotten rid of all the busy backgrounds and foregrounds and produced some fantastic shots. Only thing i am not keen on is #5 the B&W conversion makes the shot look flat the colour is just fine.

Thanks for your comments - I must admit I am a fan of B&W photos, maybe a bit more contrast would make it a bit punchier :shrug:

I like these a lot too. One small note may be that they could do with a slight contrast boost. Maybe just my own preference but nice job and I'm sure the family will love them all :)

I am hoping they like them - I may try a contrast boost just to compare. Thanks for the comments

very nice set of shots(y)

#7 is a clear fav for me,i would definitely have that printed if it was of my family(y)

sean

Thanks Sean

Back