Farnborough Red Arrows

Edit My Images
Yes
Was a great day and the weather was very kind :)

just wondered what people think of these pics i took with a budget 70-300

DSC03436.jpg

DSC03385.jpg

DSC03428.jpg

comments welcome

The red arrows are awesome, saw them at Bournemouth last year, pics 1&2 really capture the amazing skill their flying takes... can't wait to try and get some shots myself if they're back at bournemouth in August, well done!

hiya

some great shots - but they are pretty dark, might be worth brightening them up a little if you wanted to.

also, i wonder what the second would look like with the sky cropped out above and below, making it a really narrow landscape shot. could be excellent (but might be *****!)

ta
paulb

<danger uninformed opinion ahead>

The reason why the planes are dark is because the silly camera thinks you are trying to take a picture of the sky (which is the majority of the frame), The sky is a lot brighter than both the aeroplanes and the 18% grey the exposure meter thinks is a perfect picture. (the same effect if you are taking pictures of snow, the image is brighter than the 'normal' view the exposure calculation is expecting)
To combat this you need to dial in a bit of over exposure as YOU know better than your camera the effect you are trying to achieve.

As to how MUCH over you need to go there is probably a handy rule of thumb people that take a lot of plane shots use but I would go with 3/4 or a stop and see if that makes the difference.

nice pics especially the first.

<danger uninformed opinion ahead>

The reason why the planes are dark is because the silly camera thinks you are trying to take a picture of the sky (which is the majority of the frame), The sky is a lot brighter than both the aeroplanes and the 18% grey the exposure meter thinks is a perfect picture. (the same effect if you are taking pictures of snow, the image is brighter than the 'normal' view the exposure calculation is expecting)
To combat this you need to dial in a bit of over exposure as YOU know better than your camera the effect you are trying to achieve.

As to how MUCH over you need to go there is probably a handy rule of thumb people that take a lot of plane shots use but I would go with 3/4 or a stop and see if that makes the difference.

nice pics especially the first.

thanks for that explanation(y)
it seems obvious now but i never thought of it at the time. i was also using a budget 70-300 & i have a lot of dark ish shots too :bonk:

I tried to get a shot of the Red Arrows cross over at Farnborough on Sunday, but didn't get anywhere as close as this one! I have just joined tonight, so as soon as I work out how to send some pics in, I will!!!!

Ok I've got some images in the gallery, how do I bring them in here, it's alright for you clever people!!!

Some good shots there. # is by far the best for me, a tribute to great timing or a high frame per second burst?

You seem to have some dust motes on the sensor, most noticeable in image 3 where one is on the right hand edge of the image about 1/8th of the way from the top. The second dust mote can be seen ahead of the nose of the second aircraft from the left in #3.

Cheesy

Some good shots there. # is by far the best for me, a tribute to great timing or a high frame per second burst?

You seem to have some dust motes on the sensor, most noticeable in image 3 where one is on the right hand edge of the image about 1/8th of the way from the top. The second dust mote can be seen ahead of the nose of the second aircraft from the left in #3.

Cheesy

it was a few attempts with bursts and just hoped to get the shot

i noticed the 'dust' spots when i took the pics from the camera to me pc which was down to me sun lotion ending up on the lens i guess (couldn't see this on the day but spose i should have cleaned it, doh)
guess you learn from yer mistakes :LOL:

i have also been advised to try manual programme, set speed and then point lens at grass, alter so setting is in the middle of the eye piece. Leave settings alone and then shoot. Much better colour to photos.

speed settings should be about 1/300th for propeller planes and 1/1000th for jets.

see how mine turned out in another thread of kemble Airshow

Fab Number 1 photo. I bet alot of people would love to buy tht!

i have also been advised to try manual programme, set speed and then point lens at grass, alter so setting is in the middle of the eye piece. Leave settings alone and then shoot. Much better colour to photos.

speed settings should be about 1/300th for propeller planes and 1/1000th for jets.

see how mine turned out in another thread of kemble Airshow

i used 1/250th shutter speed most of the day.

i wanted to acheive some pics that didn't look like the planes were just hovering in the sky and really hoped i could get the shots to show the speed of the jets etc..

I have seen the first image of this set somewhere before. Or one - very similar to that ;)

Great photo nevertheless!

this pic was taken by myself just to clear that up ;) i still have the original on me camera too

i have posted some up on a car forum i belong to but that is it

#1 for me too. Panning is spot on. (y)

(A budget Sigma 70-300 DG does the job for me.)

Back