Farsley v Pickering with the 400...

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
...well er actually the 300 + 1.4x TC :D haha.

Thought i'd give this combo a bash today to see how I'd fair. Anyway I situated myself behind the goal line as Farsley's pitch is not the biggest, and I was amazed how much difference the 1.4 adds.

I found myself being a bit too close to the action and as a result missed quite a bit. The upside was that I didn't need to crop in to get the halfway line stuff (y)

Anyway Farsley won 2-1 with a last minute penalty to record their 8th consecutive win and remain top of the league :)

Here's the best of what was a disappointing day at the office.

Joe has been walking and hitch hiking to as many football league grounds as possible, raising money for Cancer Research along the way. So far he's visited over 850 grounds and travelled over 46,000 mile. Top man (y)

Farsley AFC v Pickering.jpg by philcarverphotography, on Flickr

Farsley AFC v Pickering-2.jpg by philcarverphotography, on Flickr

Farsley AFC v Pickering-12.jpg by philcarverphotography, on Flickr

Farsley AFC v Pickering-10.jpg by philcarverphotography, on Flickr

Farsley AFC v Pickering-14.jpg by philcarverphotography, on Flickr

Farsley AFC v Pickering-16.jpg by philcarverphotography, on Flickr

Joe was at Accy last week.... I photogrpahed him in 2002 at Hucknall and again somewhere i cant remember then again last week... Joe Quest on a quest... I told him last week.. if I was from Barrow I would keep walking as well :)

Good set, but I don't think that you've done Mr Jones any favours in No 14 as the photo makes the penalty kick look a bit mundane.

Superb shots Phil 6,7,9 my favs. but all excellent. I bet when you go back to the 300 without the tub it'll feel like a wide-angle.:LOL:
Stew.

Good set, but I don't think that you've done Mr Jones any favours in No 14 as the photo makes the penalty kick look a bit mundane.

I'd love to know what other people do for pens. I can't get behind the goal due to the barriers so i'm limited to shots of the kicker or the goalie :shrug:

I'd love to know what other people do for pens. I can't get behind the goal due to the barriers so i'm limited to shots of the kicker or the goalie :shrug:

I tend to go for the wind up to the strike, with the kicking leg drawn back if that's any help! :)

Yeah not bad, at least your horizons are improving :muted: :LOL:

Another good set Phil. Your colours always look good, do you up 'em in camera or PP (think I asked this before, bloody alz....forgotten what its called).

I like #6 with the guy doing the fosbury flop. Also an arm cut off of the guy on the right in #11 :nono:.

Love #12, the goalkeeper makes this one for me.

Yeah not bad, at least your horizons are improving :muted: :LOL:

Another good set Phil. Your colours always look good, do you up 'em in camera or PP (think I asked this before, bloody alz....forgotten what its called).

I like #6 with the guy doing the fosbury flop. Also an arm cut off of the guy on the right in #11 :nono:.

Love #12, the goalkeeper makes this one for me.

Mate you should see my horizontals before I crop and straighten....they are way off :puke:, really need to practice getting them straight in camera as I have a tendency to pull down with my right hand causing all horizons to slope left to right :thinking:

My colours are upped a little in cam, but then I apply a preset on import in LR which ups the clarity and contrast etc (y)

I toyed with the idea of keeping the arm in 11, but decided to crop to give more focus to the goalie.

as for 12, thats a defender flying through the air, or are you being sarcastic :LOL:

Cheers for looking mate :)

....as for 12, thats a defender flying through the air, or are you being sarcastic :LOL:

Cheers for looking mate :)

Oh yeah so it is, because of his position I thought it was the 'keeper. Just been and looked AGAIN and noticed the oppo were wearing yellow. :wacky: :LOL:

I must look at photo's properly.

When it comes to the penalty shot, I actually tend to prefer the one you posted orginally, with the ball being kicked it seems to be more representative of the penalty being taken (motion) in my opinion. Despite the annoying defenders, I still think your goal shot is a good one. After all, we can still see the shooter and the ball with the goalkeeper also in shot giving context to what is going on. Certainly isn't ideal, but not a 'binner' either.

The rest of the set is really good, some really superb battling shots throughout, particularly #9. I'm not a fan of narrow crops, but on #12 it really works, and it's a spectacular capture! #5 and #4 are the only ones I'm not sure about. I can see why you'd show #4, but there's just somerthing about the composition I don't like. The defender in the foreground with his back to you, the fact that the Farsley player looks about half their size and the chap in the background (but maybe that's just to my strange mind) don't look right to me. #5 strikes me as a little of a 'nothing' shot to me personally. If the shot focused on the actual challenge itself it'd be great, but with the ball clearly heading away from goal, I don't think having the goalkeeper in the shot does any good.

Another good set!

Last edited:
When it comes to the penalty shot, I actually tend to prefer the one you posted orginally, with the ball being kicked it seems to be more representative of the penalty being taken (motion) in my opinion. Despite the annoying defenders, I still think your goal shot is a good one. After all, we can still see the shooter and the ball with the goalkeeper also in shot giving context to what is going on. Certainly isn't ideal, but not a 'binner' either.

The rest of the set is really good, some really superb battling shots throughout, particularly #9. I'm not a fan of narrow crops, but on #12 it really works, and it's a spectacular capture! #5 and #4 are the only ones I'm not sure about. I can see why you'd show #4, but there's just somerthing about the composition I don't like. The defender in the foreground with his back to you, the fact that the Farsley player looks about half their size and the chap in the background (but maybe that's just to my strange mind) don't look right to me. #5 strikes me as a little of a 'nothing' shot to me personally. If the shot focused on the actual challenge itself it'd be great, but with the ball clearly heading away from goal, I don't think having the goalkeeper in the shot does any good.

Another good set!

Cheers for looking mate (y)

I pretty much agree with all you've said. 4 & 5 are my weaker shots and in hindsight I probably should have binned them, but I had a pretty poor game that day and I tend to keep shots to make up the numbers, I know this is wrong and I should focus on quality over quantity.

Looking forward to getting out there again this weekend. I have my laptop coming this week so i'll soon be practicing 'live' wiring on top of improving my shots. Pretty daunting really when you think about what a photographer has to do at a game above and beyond taking the pic. :puke:

Looking forward to getting out there again this weekend. I have my laptop coming this week so i'll soon be practicing 'live' wiring on top of improving my shots. Pretty daunting really when you think about what a photographer has to do at a game above and beyond taking the pic. :puke:
Eugh, you don't have to tell me. The pressure you have on yourself to: get the shots: downloaded, edited done properly, captioned right, uploaded correctly onto the FTP all the while trying to also keep an eye on a fast moving game of football and making sure you get the shots as they happen is a nightmare.

If I'm just at a game with my camera(s), it's like a vacation for me these days, because taking shots is the easy part, it's all the stuff that needs to be done after that that will determine whether someone can shoot at the next level or not! I'm quite proud of my ability to do it with at least a little competence now, but I know it still oftens detracts from my performance as a photographer.

Last edited:
Eugh, you don't have to tell me. The pressure you have on yourself to: get the shots: downloaded, edited done properly, captioned right, uploaded correctly onto the FTP all the while trying to also keep an eye on a fast moving game of football and making sure you get the shots as they happen is a nightmare.

If I'm just at a game with my camera(s), it's like a vacation for me these days, because taking shots is the easy part, it's all the stuff that needs to be done after that that will determine whether someone can shoot at the next level or not! I'm quite proud of my ability to do it with at least a little competence now, but I know it still oftens detracts from my performance as a photographer.

I'd love to know your common workflow during a game. My biggest worry when starting off is going to a game where I know none of the players. How on earth do I caption photos where the shirt number is not visible :puke: Nightmare!!!

Surely it's not practical to take a shot of the back of the p;ayer after every 'keeper'!

I'd love to know your common workflow during a game. My biggest worry when starting off is going to a game where I know none of the players. How on earth do I caption photos where the shirt number is not visible :puke: Nightmare!!!

Surely it's not practical to take a shot of the back of the p;ayer after every 'keeper'!
Obviously at bigger games you sometimes actually know the players on sight regardless which makes it simple. Football League (and some Conference) some teams also put numbers on their shorts which can make the job a bit easier too since short numbers are generally visible since almost all shots are taken with the action coming towards you. Lower down than that though, I'm afraid that is exactly what I do, and it is a trouble I agree. If you get a try, goal etc that you know will be sent, be sure you do get a back shot in close sequence and use the number to coincide with the team sheet. The real nightmare starts when they decide to change the line-up just before kick-off...

Last edited:
My biggest worry when starting off is going to a game where I know none of the players. How on earth do I caption photos where the shirt number is not visible :puke: Nightmare!!!

Quick shot of the team sheets at lower leagues, make yourself known to home team secretary and ask, both sides and the ref have copies.
Yep, shots of backs with numbers, include boots (colour) etc as the game goes on are a good way if you have time to search through later.
Couple of quick ways for "live" shooting
#1 Good old pen and paper, write the file number and shirt numbers down
or
#2 Voice tag the images. Straight after record the info on the image and then "tag" them. In photomechanic you can upload tagged images only then you can play back the recorded voice tag and caption to suit.
Headphones are best for this!

HTH
Shaun

Looking good there. Stick a premier league crowd behind the players instead of blue sheds and they'd be as good as anything else out there. Nice mix of action, key moments etc. and sharp & well exposed. Looks like your timing is getting better as well.

Quick shot of the team sheets at lower leagues, make yourself known to home team secretary and ask, both sides and the ref have copies.
Yep, shots of backs with numbers, include boots (colour) etc as the game goes on are a good way if you have time to search through later.
Couple of quick ways for "live" shooting
#1 Good old pen and paper, write the file number and shirt numbers down

HTH
Shaun

Cheers Shaun, sometimes the simple approach is the best one (y)

Though the voice recording is interesting, not sure how to do this on the 1D3, might have to dig the manual out :D

Looking good there. Stick a premier league crowd behind the players instead of blue sheds and they'd be as good as anything else out there. Nice mix of action, key moments etc. and sharp & well exposed. Looks like your timing is getting better as well.

Cheers mate :)

I feel i'm getting better, though you should see my horizontals before I straighten in pp.....shocking!!:puke: I definitely need to improve on keeping my camera level whilst panning on the monopod. I tend to pull down on my left hand a lot for some reason :thinking:

I think probably 90% of togs (thats upset Tony) have wonky horizons, I know I do, not on all shots but on quite a few.

Thank god for the straighten tool :LOL:.

Cheers Shaun, sometimes the simple approach is the best one (y)

Though the voice recording is interesting, not sure how to do this on the 1D3, might have to dig the manual out :D

As long as you've got the C.Fn set to default, hold down the lock key and keep it pressed; the voice recorder will show on the screen after a second or so. Keep the key pressed to record, and then release. The voice note is stored as a WAV file alongside your image! :)

I think probably 90% of togs (thats upset Tony) have wonky horizons, I know I do, not on all shots but on quite a few.

Thank god for the straighten tool :LOL:.

Yep, I'll hold my hand up to that, although it's lessened if I'm using a monopod.

I'm generally about 1-2° CW out - fat fingers & heavy handed! :LOL:

Yep, I'll hold my hand up to that, although it's lessened if I'm using a monopod.

I just put it down to the ground not being level :D

Great pics, One day hopefully I will be taking pics like these.

For what it's worth and from someone who has been watching professional football for 50 years I think number 4 is a great picture and can't see what the problem is with the defender having his back to you. Denders do have there backs to there own goal for most of the match.

For what it's worth and from someone who has been watching professional football for 50 years I think number 4 is a great picture and can't see what the problem is with the defender having his back to you. Denders do have there backs to there own goal for most of the match.
The back of a player is very uninteresting for a photograph. It has no interest for the eye to look at and does not give any sense to what is going on as you cannot see any facial expression and it carries little sense of action as the player is not 'coming towards' the viewer.

Yes, defenders do tend to have there back to goal most of the game, but football photography is more about those times when the defenders are facing their own goal trying to chase down/battle the attackers, as this is when they will most often face the camera. The most interesting shots in my collection, at pro and amateur level, are always those which are an aerial challenge, tackle etc where you can see both attacker and defender clearly. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but most of the time these are goal (or other key moments) shots. I rarely keep any shot where one player is completely facing the other way because I find it detracts from the image.

I wasn't saying #4 was a 'must delete'. You can see the expression on the attacker and one of the defenders, but I found the chap with his back to the camera was dominating the frame, and with the view being of his back, he adds little to the shot (and is blocking the defender we can see). But, each to their own of course.:)

Last edited:
Excellent work Phillip. I was at the game myself, and these captured them perfectly. I've got a decent camera myself now, so will be back down at the Nest for a few games before the end of the season.

As long as you've got the C.Fn set to default, hold down the lock key and keep it pressed; the voice recorder will show on the screen after a second or so. Keep the key pressed to record, and then release. The voice note is stored as a WAV file alongside your image! :)

Cheers mate, will try this out (y)

If only I was 1-2° out :thinking: Mine are so far out it beggars belief sometimes, and theres been many times when straightening the shot has me cutting off a players head :bang:

Great pics, One day hopefully I will be taking pics like these.

With plenty of practice you can (y) You should have seen my shots a year ago when I first started :puke:

Cheers for that (y), Though I do also agree with Steven. I think the one time it would be ok is if it was a key moment like say a bad tackle leading to a red card or injury perhaps.

Excellent work Phillip. I was at the game myself, and these captured them perfectly. I've got a decent camera myself now, so will be back down at the Nest for a few games before the end of the season.

Hi Kevin, glad you like the shots :) It's good to get an opinion from someone at the game. I really think these would be improved with a decent crowd, but as you know we don't get many at the nest :shrug:

Are you going to the Brid game on Saturday? If so come and say hello. I'm the guy with the day glow bib and big lens :D

Back