Fashion Photography courses

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Does anybody know of any good fashion photography courses that you have already done or known of someone who had done it and recommended?

I have done a couple of days with Paul White http://www.shootworkshops.com/index.html

one on location, and one studio based.

I know Paul well as he is in the circle of wedding photographers I used to be in - but he has a very credible fashion photography portfolio and history, and he is a nice guy.

NOBODY in this forum did fashion photography ????????????

You don't need a specific fashion course. You just need something that teaches you lighting. These fashion courses cover how to pose your models in clichéd ways and stuff that's not even related to fashion any way.

Of course.... if your idea of fashion is what you see in a catalogue, then yeah, there are loads of courses that teach you how to pose women in clichéd ways, but if you mean fashion as in something you'd see in Vogue, ID or Dazed, then no, you'll probably not find any courses specifically for that. You're much better off just getting competent with lighting, making some contacts who can style and do hair/make up for you, and then just developing your own style.

The other thing.. to be a great fashion photographer, you have to understand the fashion industry, and love fashion. Do you?

If all you want is to shoot pretty girls, then just get on with it.. learn how to light.... but proper fashion photography is about fashion, and is massively competitive.

Last edited:
Just to add to David's post, which I agree with...
The people who really are into high end fashion photography don't tend to run courses on it, and the people who do run many of the lighting courses are often pretty bad at lighting, let alone about fashion photography.

You don't need a specific fashion course. You just need something that teaches you lighting. These fashion courses cover how to pose your models in clichéd ways and

The other thing.. to be a great fashion photographer, you have to understand the fashion industry, and love fashion. Do you?

Yes I own online fashion business, and that's why I would like to become a fashion photographer.

Just to add to David's post, which I agree with...
The people who really are into high end fashion photography don't tend to run courses on it, and the people who do run many of the lighting courses are often pretty bad at lighting, let alone about fashion photography.

Bruce Smith does run a Fashion photography course but only for 1 day.

There is a course in Milan, 10 weeks Fashion Photography course.

There is one - cannot remember his name - do 1 day Fashion Photography course but at £1,000 plus VAT !!! NO WAY!!! Milan's 10 weeks course cost only 3,400 euros full time !!

Does it need to be a course? Lindsay Adler has done some great videos, some on YT and some of the Creative Live content is excellent.

http://lindsayadler.photoshelter.com/#!/portfolio/G0000u8GrSVlRx8g/I00008Ls54bJG_4E

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lynsay alder fashion

Thank you very much. CREATIVE LIVE is out of question for me as they do not have subtitles (I am deaf)

However, I am going to check your 2 links just in case they have subtitles/CC

Yes I own online fashion business, and that's why I would like to become a fashion photographer.

Cool. Just pick up a copy of ID, Dazed & Confused, or Vogue... get a feel for what fashion is about, then just use any lighting course to get the skills. I'm always dubious about "fashion" workshops, or this workshop, that workshop... lighting is lighting.. photography is photography. There are many kinds of fashion photography... commercial fashion, editorial fashion? Most courses will probably be the former rather than the latter, but that may be exactly what you need. I can't answer that for you.

Being as a fashion photography isn't about Lightning - not only Studio location. It could have done outdoors with reflectors. I would prefer do outdoors anyway!!

I've found a short fashion photography course (theory) with JD Campus via Groupon for only £29 instead of £299. This course is ideal to learn about fashion photography in theory. Theory is as important as practical when comes to fashion photography.

Being as a fashion photography isn't about Lightning - not only Studio location. It could have done outdoors with reflectors. I would prefer do outdoors anyway!!

I've found a short fashion photography course (theory) with JD Campus via Groupon for only £29 instead of £299. This course is ideal to learn about fashion photography in theory. Theory is as important as practical when comes to fashion photography.

ALL photography is about lighting :) If you think otherwise, you've still got some way to go.

By lighting I don't just mean studio flash... I mean managing, and using light creatively. However... a fashion photographer without studio lighting skills will be severely restricting themselves.

ALL photography is about lighting :) If you think otherwise, you've still got some way to go.

By lighting I don't just mean studio flash... I mean managing, and using light creatively. However... a fashion photographer without studio lighting skills will be severely restricting themselves.

Sorry I thought you meant lighting in the studio as in equipment LOL

Sorry I thought you meant lighting in the studio as in equipment LOL

Not exclusively, but you seem to think that's not important with fashion photography.. and you're wrong. It is.

In my opinion, look at what everyone else is doing and do something totally different!

I have lost count on how many 'workshops' and so called 'masterclasses' with the latest T&A model from the Internet sites lifting a leg up and pulling hair are being flogged as 'fashion workshop shoots' aimed at this market I see advertised every week with one sole purpose to make £ out of the likes of you and I.

Also at the other end, shoot days/ workshops/ creative days etc being set up so you as the attendee fund the whole day(s) shoot (they won't tell you that but is plain to see).

You can't 'fast track' becoming a fashion photographer. As it's been said, knowledge of fashion is also key such as getting along to LFW/London Collections etc seeing what the designers are pushing out.

In my view having the skills to capture a great image of any genre be it on the runway/ backstage or fashion editorial will be the best route opposed to handing over £ to someone on a 15:1 ratio workshop teaching you stuff you already know. Yes, you may get portfolio content but guess what, so will the other 10 shooters firing over your shoulder.

This is an area i'm trying to learn about at the moment. Not a course as such, but what worked well for me (on a budget!) is to look at meetup.com and find studio / fashion shoot sessions near me. There are plenty of groups who offer this kind of thing, for example a studio shoot with a professional model, stylist, makeup artist etc, then maybe 5-10 photographers and someone leading the session in terms of showing you how to use the kit and what to consider. Each session runs from around £20 up to maybe £75, but considering the cost of studio hire this seems like a possible good way to get some knowledge and experience.

Of course it does depend on where you are. I'm in London...may be a different story if you're somewhere rural.

Chris Y

I see someone like Damien Lovegrove charges £1,000 + VAT a day for 1-to-1 training, but of course, I will not do that such price!

However I might consider on taking a 10-week Fashion Photography course in Milan for 3,400 euros (that's about 50 working days plus occasion weekends on shootings).

KateRose
I am from Portsmouth in the city, but would love fashion shoots in the rural with horses :)

Never mind workshops... just subscribe to Vogue, Dazed and Confused, and ID magazine. You'll learn more about fashion photography than some bloody course run by someone who once did some commercial catalogue photography.

Never mind workshops... just subscribe to Vogue, Dazed and Confused, and ID magazine. You'll learn more about fashion photography than some bloody course run by someone who once did some commercial catalogue photography.
:plus1:

Imagine the number of magazine subscriptions you could get on £27,000 (3 years of degree course tuition fees).....

Photographic techniques are a resource used in all branches of photography. A fashion photographer would be well advised to understand most of them.
what makes fashion photography different. Is the need to be subsumed in the total fashion world. Understanding fashion and how it likes to be seen at any given moment is more magic than craft. I doubt it can either be learnt or taught except on a very basic level.
It is also certain that what you are taught will necessarily out of date.
fashion is always about the future, it works at least two seasons infront of most professions.
by the time what you are doing is new, it is out of date.
Added to all this a fashion photographer needs to be a people person, happy in and fully accepted as part of that world.
most photographers would be completely out of their depth. And they would stand out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:
As you were saying me to save my money! Ok, what do you suggest other than buying fashion magazines? For sure, fashion magazines will not teach me about lightning, model posing, where to find the models etc.

Imagine the number of magazine subscriptions you could get on £27,000 (3 years of degree course tuition fees).....

We don't teach people to be (insert genre here) photographers. There's no such thing. We teach people how to be photographers. All that makes a fashion photographer is a passion for fashion, and knowing the fashion industry. You're a photographer first and foremost.

Last edited:
Back