fashion portrait

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
one from a great shoot yesterday doing a portfolio shot for a hair designer and makup artist. It is in the syle of a Rankin beauty portrait.
C&C very welcome
paul

rankincopycollege.jpg

I like it... but I'm strangly drawn to her ear, it just appears to be sharper than her face. It may just be me :shrug:

I don't think I have an ear thing :cautious:

I like it... but I'm strangly drawn to her ear, it just appears to be sharper than her face. It may just be me :shrug:

I don't think I have an ear thing :cautious:

No your right there, It's a very nice image but a little on the soft side IMO.
I'd attempt a high pass sharpen of 1.8 pixel radius, that may save the day.

Here's a little example, I duplicated the layer and then changed the blend mode to Overlay, then in the FILTERS menu I selected HIGH PASS, being as this is only a low res JPEG, the radius was at 0.4 pixels, on the original it should be around 1.8 pixels or slightly more.

I changed the layer mask on the high pass layer to black and then painted the high pass layer in over the models eyes and lips only with a medium soft white brush.

rankincopycollegecopy.jpg

Last edited:
@ Thomas Whitehouse thats an amazing difference!! She looked slightly pale in the original but you've brought out some warmth and detail. May I ask if you added any other effects to get that glossy finish and bring out the colour in her cheeks?

@ Thomas Whitehouse thats an amazing difference!! She looked slightly pale in the original but you've brought out some warmth and detail. May I ask if you added any other effects to get that glossy finish and bring out the colour in her cheeks?

Good point, remembering now, I did add a slight blur to her ear and cheek.

Just duplicate the layer and add a 15% gaussian blur, put a layer mask and change the fill to black, then grab a soft white brush and paint in the areas you want to blur.

If you find my explanation unhelpful just google 'how to add a layer mask'

That was all really mate, no temp adjustments or colour changes.

This is a lovely shot, enhanced by Tomas bringing real focus on the eyes (y)

Oh and imo a better shot than the one you were trying to emulate.

I think you done well to attempt to recreate this image.

I would like to add that you mention you are doing this for a make-up and hair designer. As far as the make up goes, you've done well as you show off the make up. The negative is the hair, which blends into the background, therefore it wouldn't show off the hair designers work.

Apart from that, it's a great image.

great image
thomas finished it off

Reading this reminds me I need to learn more on PS... fantastic PP Thomas.

I like that you are paying homage to a Rankin shot as i just saw a program with Rankin paying homage to other photographers throughout history :)

tanks i love rankin he is one of my fave photographers.

I will post the original image later so it you cam see ho much the image has changed.
i will add the blur and back off the silvering of the skin before i print

paul

Back