'Fashiony' Portraits of me Sister

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
No
So this is my 3rd attempt at doing some portraits, or, I guess they are mainly headshots really...

My sister and girlfriend tried to do something different with the make up. I took over 100 shots on this shoot, I spent a lot of time in post-processing cleaning up loose hairs and so on.

Would love some feedback on these ones as they are quite different to the others, wanted to have a sort of fashion look with these shots

3330690407_8a03fb387d.jpg

3330982179_75be5fe3e9.jpg

3330801155_fdab832824.jpg

3333058769_a3d05916a3.jpg

#5 - I wish I had an extra light for the hair here...
3333024051_a9f5ac6c46.jpg

3334186970_74c4ec97b6.jpg

#7 - And one just for fun...Thats me on the left looking a bit tired...
3333372155_00ccbc5dc8.jpg

Thanks for looking

Jay

I think the best one is 4, where you can't see the silly makeup bit on the side of her head. That said, they are all well taken pics and a nice subject(y)(y)

Thanks mate, appreciate your comments :). The make up on the side is a love or hate thing really, I like it on some of the shots and on others I think it could have worked perfectly fine without.

I like #2 jay, I think it is because the hair is flowing naturally and it’s just covering the side of the eye and it is a close crop. Well done

1 & 2 are fine but just looking straight at the camera, can't really go wrong although I do like the fur hood bit framing the face in 2

Not keen on 3, I think the angle that her head is while looking straight forward makes her head look wierd (like long) as there is no real depth

4 is nice but like 5 (as you said) could also use a rim light on the hair a little in the top left

6 has the most potential if you could re-do that pose but with her eye's looking straight through the lens. The eye's in the model are gorgeous and really grab the attention and this pose would really stand out if you captured them too.

7 - always good to have fun :D

All in my opinion obviously :)

As I say, 6 could really be a cracker with the changes I mentioned in my opinion :)

Hi Jay
Ist - that's a bonnie looking sister you got there.

For me No 4 works best. Like the slight upward angle she's looking at. Oh, and she looks a bit dominating there too.
Next fav is No2. The hood blends well and she looks VG in it.
The last is a lovely shot too.
All in all ... (y)(y)(y)

2 is a little bit cliched, but it is the best of the bunch and works a treat.

She is very pretty.

Thank you everyone for your comments, much appreciated!

I'll show my sister this thread and will post up her comments! :)

1 & 2 are fine but just looking straight at the camera, can't really go wrong although I do like the fur hood bit framing the face in 2

Not keen on 3, I think the angle that her head is while looking straight forward makes her head look wierd (like long) as there is no real depth

4 is nice but like 5 (as you said) could also use a rim light on the hair a little in the top left

6 has the most potential if you could re-do that pose but with her eye's looking straight through the lens. The eye's in the model are gorgeous and really grab the attention and this pose would really stand out if you captured them too.

7 - always good to have fun :D

All in my opinion obviously :)

As I say, 6 could really be a cracker with the changes I mentioned in my opinion :)

Thanks for your input Craig

With #3 I can see what you mean, I was trying to create depth into this image but for some reason when I was adjusting the settings and using a wider aperture the shot wasn't coming out right.. I think it kinda works, but for it to be effective there is need for a lot more DOF.

#4 will be easier to deal with once I get my studio kit :) and with #6 I think I have a shot of that, or a similar pose anyway, I will post them up for you.

Hi Jay
Ist - that's a bonnie looking sister you got there.

For me No 4 works best. Like the slight upward angle she's looking at. Oh, and she looks a bit dominating there too.
Next fav is No2. The hood blends well and she looks VG in it.
The last is a lovely shot too.
All in all ... (y)(y)(y)

Thanks Rockshifter, I think out of the whole set #2 and #4 are the favs for me as well.

2 for me mate. Could do with a little cloning on her left eye to remove the blood vessels.

Looks like you had fun :)

Thanks Ross. I have done a little cloning in one of the other images but it's something I always forget to do, I'll go back to these once i've edited these next few images I want to put up.

What are you using as a lightsource? The lighting looks a little harsh, ideally you'll have a big soft source like a softbox or umbrella to provide the main light.

I also see you're using a 50mm lens on a D90. Are you cropping? I think you may be a little bit too close. for a 3/4 face portrait. This is especially touch with your sister's face shape (not an insult at all, some people suit shorter working distances, other suit longer working distances.) Try using a lens that lets you get about 5m away. The 70-300 will be fine seeing as you have the light to stop it down to f/8.

Otherwise, great photos! The posing and makeup is excellent.

Hi Blapto,

For these shots I was using an SB900 on 1/8th into a reflective umbrella that was about 3-5ft away from the model. I'm not sure about the lighting looking harsh, its fairly even/not very much intense highlights there either.

I am cropping the image. I would like to stand further back but the problem is that in my room im quite limited with space (about 1.5-2m distance) and my backdrop was realy small too 2xA2 pieces of card so it's difficult for me NOT to crop as much as I do - but I do like these close shots. Another factor is that (for some reason), when I put the SB900 onto lets say, 1/2 or 1/4 power it wasn't effectively flashing - this prevented me from putting the umbrella further back - which would be ideal because the umbrella is 5ft in diameter....

Thanks for your input. Now that I have my studio lighting kit and a large backdrop i'm able to experiment more comfortably. I'm also going to use my living room so i've got a lot more space to play with now! I definitely do want to use my 70-300 more, I tested it once and loved the results but I also love the 50mm! I actually do want to get something wider because I like to get in close.

Heres a completely unedited shot of my dad taken with the 70-300, settings were at 82mm - F/5.6 - 1/125 - ISO 250

DSC_3148medad.jpg

Then just some levels editing to get rid of that 'white-ness'

DSC_3148medad2.jpg

Last edited:
#2 for me, although i would like to see it cropped a little more to the hood as the top right corner is the only distraction

nice set though mate.

Some great shots sharp, good exposure and as you have said the make up is a taste thing. The only thing that i can pick on is that in a lot of the shots you seem to be shooting down on the model and she is looking up at you with her eyes, this doesn't look right to me and would of liked to see them with her chin lifted instead of the eyes. shot 6 is my fav of them all but thats personal pref technically they are all superb.

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

#2 for me, although i would like to see it cropped a little more to the hood as the top right corner is the only distraction

nice set though mate.

Having tried this out i'm going to re-upload the shot on my Flickr with the crop, it definitely looks better cropping the top out.

Some great shots sharp, good exposure and as you have said the make up is a taste thing. The only thing that i can pick on is that in a lot of the shots you seem to be shooting down on the model and she is looking up at you with her eyes, this doesn't look right to me and would of liked to see them with her chin lifted instead of the eyes. shot 6 is my fav of them all but thats personal pref technically they are all superb.

This is something ill definitely take into account for my next shoot. Most of the time I was shooting slightly down at the model, I need to bend down a bit more ... Didn't help that my sister is short! :p

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

nice set though mate.

Having tried this out i'm going to re-upload the shot on my Flickr with the crop, it definitely looks better cropping the top out.

3330982179_04be6be791.jpg

This is something ill definitely take into account for my next shoot. Most of the time I was shooting slightly down at the model, I need to bend down a bit more ... Didn't help that my sister is short! :p

4 and 6 for me.

4 is a very nice natural shot of a very pretty subject.

6 is just lovely - nice skin tones, nice lighting (the lower lip for example) and a very simple but effective composition.

I like the crop shot with the fur around the face :clap: I found it most interesting because I have the D90, 50m 1.4 and SB-900. Now all I have to do is practice :nikon:

Back