Fay and Bens wedding at Three Rivers Essex

Gary.D

Hoodie
Name
Gary Derbridge
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a few from Fridays wedding of Fay and Ben at Three Rivers Golf and Country Club, in Essex.

All c&c welcome

Thanks

1148905_10153103790095508_1069111204_n.jpg

581749_10153103790580508_455280900_n.jpg

995130_10153103790450508_1734142196_n.jpg

526329_10153103790265508_464257179_n.jpg

1002496_10153103790220508_1601535173_n.jpg

535814_10153103790505508_545254208_n.jpg

Lovely colours and lighting.

Really like them, looks like everyone had fun. The lighting looks great, care to share your setup?

Nice set, really like the cigars shot and the bride on the bridge. I would say there is some over saturation in the 2nd and 3rd.

I like the 2nd shot. The 4th shot contains some of the most unflattering poses I've ever seen. The pp isn't to my taste - mainly the colours.

Looks like a very fun day which the colours and poses convey. The sky is too saturated in some of them.... especially 4 but on the whole i like them.

Good job.(y)

Lovely colours and lighting.

Many thanks :)

Really like them. Looks like a real celebration.

Thank you.

Really like them, looks like everyone had fun. The lighting looks great, care to share your setup?

Thank you, for the lit photos, I was using a Lencarta Safari Pro, I was probably shooting at around f16 1/160 ISO 100. This was using a 36" softbox :)

Nice set, really like the cigars shot and the bride on the bridge. I would say there is some over saturation in the 2nd and 3rd.

Many thanks for your comments, saturation may be a little over done, these are from the Facebook sneak peak that I do on the night of the wedding and I do try and make them nice & colourful and vibrant :)

I like the 2nd shot. The 4th shot contains some of the most unflattering poses I've ever seen. The pp isn't to my taste - mainly the colours.

Thanks for your comments, funny you should say that as the 4th shot is all 3 of their profile pictures on facebook now.... so what some dislike, some love and treasure. (y)

Looks like a very fun day which the colours and poses convey. The sky is too saturated in some of them.... especially 4 but on the whole i like them.

Good job.(y)

Thanks a lot for your comments :)

Nice set. Like the colours.

Thank you :)

I think a lot of this probably come's down to personal taste but I don't really dig the whole fun / cheesy nature of most of them.

1) I think you could work on your B&W conversions as this is very grey
2) I like this one, nice shot!
3) Fun but not over done... another good shot
4) Over saturated, cheesy, sky looks fake and your flash to ambient ratio is way off (which means the sky is has been excessively edited or wouldn't be that bright.
5) Not bad, slanty angle isn't great but it's a tight crop and isn't that noticable. Again ambient to flash ratio is out but not as bad as 4 and the sky isn't so crazy
6) Best one IMO... lovely shot
7) Flash to ambient not right again... quite a nice photo though if a little tightly cropped
8) Not much to like or dislike here, angle you shot from isn't the most creative or inspiring but it works ok.

I think a lot of this probably come's down to personal taste but I don't really dig the whole fun / cheesy nature of most of them.

1) I think you could work on your B&W conversions as this is very grey
2) I like this one, nice shot!
3) Fun but not over done... another good shot
4) Over saturated, cheesy, sky looks fake and your flash to ambient ratio is way off (which means the sky is has been excessively edited or wouldn't be that bright.
5) Not bad, slanty angle isn't great but it's a tight crop and isn't that noticable. Again ambient to flash ratio is out but not as bad as 4 and the sky isn't so crazy
6) Best one IMO... lovely shot
7) Flash to ambient not right again... quite a nice photo though if a little tightly cropped
8) Not much to like or dislike here, angle you shot from isn't the most creative or inspiring but it works ok.

Thanks for your comments Andy all taken on board...... ambient to flash ratio depends what ratio you are shooting and what look you are going for....... :)

Thanks for your comments, funny you should say that as the 4th shot is all 3 of their profile pictures on facebook now.... so what some dislike, some love and treasure. (y)

What people use as FB profile pictures is not usually representative of great photography so I wouldn't take too much solace in that!

I'd like to hear how you quantify that.

For the record I think that number 4 has been so heavily PP'd that it's impossible to tell what came out of the camera!

What do you mean by how I'd quantify that?

If the background is too dark then the ratio is out... flash should ideally look natural and the balance should mean that there aren't so many stops different that the background is very dark.

Is that what you were looking for or am I misunderstanding you?

I would suggest when using flash in these types of posed shots that there has to be allowance for creative freedom. It's clear here that Gary was deliberately underexposing to make the flash dominant and at the same time allowing for a darker, more saturated sky. What he did once he got the shot on the computer is another matter; and I would dearly love to see the original.

Great pictures - all of them and I love the colours - my favourite has to be #2 - the group shot, great timing - I would like to see the faces a little more though maybe just to capture the expressions especially of the children looking up at the balloons. Lots of fun captured in each shot and although the sky does look a little enhanced to others - I really like it as if it wasn't so colourful it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the picture to me. :)

I would suggest when using flash in these types of posed shots that there has to be allowance for creative freedom. It's clear here that Gary was deliberately underexposing to make the flash dominant and at the same time allowing for a darker, more saturated sky. What he did once he got the shot on the computer is another matter; and I would dearly love to see the original.

Creative freedom yes, but also it needs to work at the end of the day and I honestly think it doesn't. I also notice there's a reasonable difference between different shots that suggests there's a lack of understanding IMO. That's just my opinion though but I see a lot of great work on here where things are done well technically, and then I see bad balances between ambient and flash which regardless of creative freedom I don't believe are done well. :shrug:

Usually the right one works best ;)

What is the right way though? That's the whole point of photography... :puke:

I wasn't looking to match the ambient and flash exposure I was purposely under exposing the ambient exposure. The ratio doesn't have to match for every shot, and their are also shots where I have matched the flash exposure closer to the ambient exposure for example the shot of the bride on the bridge.

What people use as FB profile pictures is not usually representative of great photography so I wouldn't take too much solace in that!

I understand that, however what you deem to be a good photograph doesn't necessarily make me ££££ from prints and canvas etc... where as what the brides and bridesmaids deem as a good photograph does make me lots of ££££ :p:D

Any full time professional wedding photograph knows that the shots people choose to buy are sometimes shots that barely made the finally pick of the bunch.... I just feel like I am starting to learn what is special to the bride, groom and their friends and family which is maybe why I put up images that some people say are not technically correct.

I hope that all makes sense (y)

If the background is too dark then the ratio is out... flash should ideally look natural and the balance should mean that there aren't so many stops different that the background is very dark.

Andy, in reply to this comment and the one below I think in some respects it's you with the lack of understanding. You don't just use flash to evenly expose ambient light, you also use flash to create something different. As Ryan says below!

I don't mean to sound rude, and I do appreciate all of your time and commenst :)

Yes I agree, the ambient light is purposely under exposed by around a stop or so. As mentioned the colours are a bit out their just for a nice vibrant facebook preview :)

I will post up the OOC shot :)

Great pictures - all of them and I love the colours - my favourite has to be #2 - the group shot, great timing - I would like to see the faces a little more though maybe just to capture the expressions especially of the children looking up at the balloons. Lots of fun captured in each shot and although the sky does look a little enhanced to others - I really like it as if it wasn't so colourful it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the picture to me. :)

Many thanks for your comments :) I hope they do show lots of fun, as the bride and groom were very chilled out and relaxed people

Creative freedom yes, but also it needs to work at the end of the day and I honestly think it doesn't. I also notice there's a reasonable difference between different shots that suggests there's a lack of understanding IMO. That's just my opinion though but I see a lot of great work on here where things are done well technically, and then I see bad balances between ambient and flash which regardless of creative freedom I don't believe are done well. :shrug:

As already mentioned above, flash isn't just for matching ambient light.... it's also for creating something different by under exposing ambient light by a certain amount and using the flash to correctly expose the subject. (y)

Great set, captures the spirit of the occasion very well. To me those conditions would be a complete nightmare but you've overcome those.... I like what you've done in the 2nd photo - giving the guests something to do in the large group...the released balloons then filling up the space at the top of the photos while casting nice shadows on the ground...

If the B&G are pleased with these, then you should be too

There is no right or wrong when working with OCF. IMO its all down to the look you want.

I over power the ambient a lot when I do my B&G shots, sometimes I want to balance it. It depends on the look I want and the scene I'm shooting.

Lots of successful photographers over power the ambient too, its what they use to sell themselves, to add a bit or mood or drama to an image. Its all about choice :)

There is no right or wrong when working with OCF. IMO its all down to the look you want.

I over power the ambient a lot when I do my B&G shots, sometimes I want to balance it. It depends on the look I want and the scene I'm shooting.

Lots of successful photographers over power the ambient too, its what they use to sell themselves, to add a bit or mood or drama to an image. Its all about choice :)

Taking the discussion away from Gary's pics so as to open up the discussion to a more general one I disagree that there's no right or wrong... I could blow the bride's dress, the sky and have the groom completely unlit and it would be wrong, even if that's the look I was going for.

A look CAN be 'wrong' if it doesn't work, and whilst I'm very open to varying degrees of creativity with OCF is do disagree that there's no such thing wrong. For example I saw a pic by a local tog the other day where the couple were on a hill overlooking Durham City... I thought it was taken at night such was the darkness of the city in the distance and the illumination of the couple... then I saw a tiny bit of very dark blue sky and was shocked to realise it was taken during day light! The tog may have gone for this look deliberately but it was most definitely not right :bonk:

Taking the discussion away from Gary's pics so as to open up the discussion to a more general one I disagree that there's no right or wrong... I could blow the bride's dress, the sky and have the groom completely unlit and it would be wrong, even if that's the look I was going for.

A look CAN be 'wrong' if it doesn't work, and whilst I'm very open to varying degrees of creativity with OCF is do disagree that there's no such thing wrong. For example I saw a pic by a local tog the other day where the couple were on a hill overlooking Durham City... I thought it was taken at night such was the darkness of the city in the distance and the illumination of the couple... then I saw a tiny bit of very dark blue sky and was shocked to realise it was taken during day light! The tog may have gone for this look deliberately but it was most definitely not right :bonk:

My apologies and yes I agree some can get it wrong. The exposure of the couple should be 'right' but what I meant to say is there is no right or wrong for what you do with the ambient. If you want it darker, balanced, brighter etc... so be it. IMO your explanation of flash should be balanced isn't always right.

That example is an opinion of your taste and style though. Not whether its right or wrong. :)

PLenty of photographers use fairly powerful portable lighting to over power daylight and give an impression of night time - that doesn't make it wrong, just different. It's marmite, but not 'wrong' to do it - afterall, photography is subjective, it is an artform and if that is part of your style and what people are booking you for, then there is an argument to say it is right - for some. ;)

As for Garys pictures.... I don't have a problem with the bright, fun images, many clients do love them. I get the unflattering poses, and agree, they are not flattering, but I think that as long as they are balanced with some more flattering poses that the ladies in them will still love in 10 years time, then it's less of a problem imo.

Gary I don't mean to be rude so I apolgise if I came across that way... plenty on here seem to like the style and I think as I said initially it's probably just a matter of personal taste :)

Andy, don't worry mate, I didn't take it as rude... that is why I was careful with my reply back... I completely took on board all of your comments apart from the one about not understanding ratios of light lol :LOL: :p thanks again for all your comments!

Great set, captures the spirit of the occasion very well. To me those conditions would be a complete nightmare but you've overcome those.... I like what you've done in the 2nd photo - giving the guests something to do in the large group...the released balloons then filling up the space at the top of the photos while casting nice shadows on the ground...

If the B&G are pleased with these, then you should be too

Many thanks for your comments, I am pleased I think they are a fun set that represent the clients personallities.

PLenty of photographers use fairly powerful portable lighting to over power daylight and give an impression of night time - that doesn't make it wrong, just different. It's marmite, but not 'wrong' to do it - afterall, photography is subjective, it is an artform and if that is part of your style and what people are booking you for, then there is an argument to say it is right - for some. ;)

As for Garys pictures.... I don't have a problem with the bright, fun images, many clients do love them. I get the unflattering poses, and agree, they are not flattering, but I think that as long as they are balanced with some more flattering poses that the ladies in them will still love in 10 years time, then it's less of a problem imo.

Thanks for your comments :D

Much appreciated Gary. For me the saturation has been pushed too far. But if that's what you and your clients want then fair play :)

I prefer the straight OOC shots in all honesty - the shots in the OP are over-saturated for my particular taste.

I have to say though, part of the reason i don't come on TP quite so often any more is the ridiculously contrary diatribe - worse than most forums i've been on. People seem to love a heated debate on here which 90% of the time ends in an argument over pure semantics.

People also seem to be obsessed with technical details on TP - unlike jazz photography is all about the destination and nothing at all about how you reach that end point, people seem to forget that sometimes. It's all about the image. I couldn't give a monkey's right knacker what lighting kit you used or what ratios your ambient and OCF are at.

Back