Feedback on this landscape shot near Glencoe

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Can someone give me some feedback on this shot I took near Dallachulish, north of Glencoe. It was taken in 2012.

I was thinking that maybe I could take out some of the sky and some off the bottom?

Loch Creran by DaelPix, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am no expert on landscapes but can offer my thoughts as a viewer of the image :)

I like the way the clouds follow the mountain line and the way both lead into the image. The sky is very dramatic - I like that.

I think the problems are in the bottom third of the image. Nothing grabs my attention here - just dark water.

Dave.

In general it looks underexposed. It's an interesting sky and a good touch of light on the ridge, but it's not enough. You could lose a bit off the top of the sky down to the top of the large cloud on the left. If you take anything off the bottom you will either unbalance or lose the rock in the water which is the only foreground interest, and the only lead in to the image. Also if you do that the bit of land cutting across the corner would look odd.

I should say that I was just shooting and wasn't thinking about 'points of interest' when I took it.

Very underexposed. Why, the camera has metered not to blow the white part of the cloud out. Its clear you've not used ND grads but lifting the shadows a bit will help.

Composition is fine, although I prefer my water still and with refelctions but the scene is what it is. Composition is fine, removing off the bottom will make it look messy, and the sky holds enough interest as it is

Very underexposed. Why, the camera has metered not to blow the white part of the cloud out. Its clear you've not used ND grads but lifting the shadows a bit will help.

Composition is fine, although I prefer my water still and with refelctions but the scene is what it is. Composition is fine, removing off the bottom will make it look messy, and the sky holds enough interest as it is

I didn't have any means of ND grads in 2012. Or if I did, I didn't understand how to use them, or I couldn't be bothered figuring out how to use them. If I went for a drive on my own and found this spot, then I would have used them, or at least attempted to.

As ST4 mentioned - you could try lifting the shadows slightly in some PP software.

Dave.

My workflow consists of opening the shadows to +100% in Lightroom.

In this one I raised the exposure a touch and cropped it a little.

Dallachulish by DaelPix, on Flickr

Back