Feeding Osprey

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Over the last three weeks I have spent the first 2 or 3 hours of most days either walking along the spit which separates the Gulf of Mexico from Marco Island in SW Florida, or in the tidal lagoon which lies between Tigertail Beach and Marco Island. The area is recognised and protected as an important breeding ground for all manner of birds (more of which in another post at a later date). One morning I came across this very obliging osprey who was quite content for me to wade into the lagoon to get the early morning sun to my back and spend 35 or so minutes watching breakfast...tail and all!

2R4C6641 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6634 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6663 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6690 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6705 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6724 by Whyone, on Flickr

great set, I will be in that area next spring. So looks like a luggage upgrade on the flight. Thanks for sharing.

Mighty fine set.

Something refreshingly different to the Scottish Osprey images. Perhaps just unfamiliar surroundings and different light.

Mark, Steve, Phil, Paul & Jetpackjack, thank you for taking the time to look at my photo's and leave comments - much appreciated.

Jetpackjack - yes he did let me get very close. I was very careful to ensure he knew I was there, and as I approached, I watched very carefully to make sure he wasn't bothered by me - he kept on eating, just glancing up every now and then. I was there for 35-40 mins, and he carefully ate all of his fish, sat and admired the world for a while, had a good shout and then flew off, so I don't think I altered the course of his day in any way.

Here is one more, sadly I didn't quite frame it correctly:

2R4C6727 by Whyone, on Flickr

Last edited:
You're right Romany, the early morning on a Floridian summers morning is a thing of beauty.

Here's the same bird on a different day showing his nicitating membrane

14973485639_ff8acc08ea_b.jpg

Brilliant photos.
I've just returned from 6 weeks in Florida, photographed an Osprey near the Space Center but it was just too far away in the middle of the lake to get good pics. Also got some Roseate Spoonbills but not as good pics as yours.
My best shots were of Tri-colour and Blue Herons.
I had a great evening shooting gators on the Anhinga Trail, had a fantastic time, making myself depressed again thinking about it now.

Ramalama and Callum, many thanks for taking the time to comment.

As you say Ramalama, Florida is a great place for wildlife photography - much underrated imho.

With a little patience, some tolerance of water, mud and biting insects you can see some wonderful birds. I was fortunate to have the coastal spit and lagoon 10 min's walk from our apartment and a family who were quite happy for me to go awol between about 7-10am most mornings!

Back