Critique Female (juvenile) Kingfisher.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
What a week it's been, first the Sparrowhawk, now this.

Possibly the best session I've had with a KF in over 3 years.

I wasn't expecting anything tonight and took the M5, but all credit to that little camera, it impresses me every time I use it. I'd only just put the perch out and covered myself in scrim. Witihn 5 minutes, she was there. Guess where I'll be tomorrow evening? Time for that flared for landing image. If I get that, then a diving shot with a fish, my work is done. might only take another 3 years. :LOL:

Looking for crit here, as I wish the BG was a bit more colourful but it is what it is, a peat tainted river in shadow. The sun was just begining to soften.

Canon M5, Sigma 150-600C, f7.1, ISO 1250, 1/4000 sec, 600mm. Only bait was the perch.

(image taken under a Schedule 1 licence issued by NatureScot).

Juvenile Female Kingfisher. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just added a touch of brightness, vibrance and saturation in an attempt to make it pop a little more against the background ... may not be to your taste. :)

52327697016_20fea069d2_b.jpg

Just added a touch of brightness, vibrance and saturation in an attempt to make it pop a little more against the background ... may not be to your taste. :)

View attachment 365702

Your further alteration demonstrates very well how much it depends on the screen the photo is being viewed on. I was first viewing on my (not calibrated) work monitor and thought the first shot was better and didn't need any further tweeks. Then for comparison I decided to view on my phone and thought they looked identical but then after looking more closely for a bit longer I decided the further edited one was slightly better. Great image either way, but which one is best depends on the viewing media.

What a lovely shot! I’d be over the moon if I got that.

Thank you.

Awesome shot Dale

Cheers Bob.

Thanks Roger, some sublte differences there, nice edit. (y)

Your further alteration demonstrates very well how much it depends on the screen the photo is being viewed on. I was first viewing on my (not calibrated) work monitor and thought the first shot was better and didn't need any further tweeks. Then for comparison I decided to view on my phone and thought they looked identical but then after looking more closely for a bit longer I decided the further edited one was slightly better. Great image either way, but which one is best depends on the viewing media.

Thank you.

7fps on the M5 Roger. I was shooting in bursts of 4-5, then lifting my finger. The M5 has taken more images this week than it did in the previous 18 months or so.

Still going through them and weeding some repetitive ones out. (y)

Last edited:
Very nice (y)

The blue iridescent stands out

Cheers Bud. She was fair catching the light last night, it was just about a bit less than harsh. It always amazes me how Kingfishers, particularly the blues, can look so different in different types of light.

Kingfisher blue is actually brown, structural colouration makes the colours seem brighter than they actually are and why the blues can look so different.

Outstanding Dale. No.2 is my pick :D

Thanks Alan.

I think that the background works well on this one ... the rear view shows such great colour to contrast. :)

Cheers again Roger. I noticed a couple of hotspots on the blue towards the tail, I'll tame those down in the next version of that image.

Last edited:
Ah well, another licence period is coming to a close and it's now time to get my return sorted.

It's been a frustrating year, a banking collapse in March detroyed the first nest burrow then mink have had their say throughout the year. The KFs moved upriver after the collapse and just out of my licenced area, so I had to ask for an ammendment to my licence to include 2 new grid references, which took 10 weeks to finalise but I did get it. I wasn't able to pinpoint the new nest as I wasn't licenced at it and when the ammendment came through, the chicks had fledged.

Anyway, 2 broods seemed to have been successful, the first with 2 females and 1 male fledgling still onsite 10 days later. I photographed them towrds the end of June.

The second brood had its challenges and produced, as far as I know, just one female fledgling, this is her in this thread.

:love:

IMG_3158-DeNoiseAI-standard LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
What a week it's been, first the Sparrowhawk, now this.

Possibly the best session I've had with a KF in over 3 years.

I wasn't expecting anything tonight and took the M5, but all credit to that little camera, it impresses me every time I use it. I'd only just put the perch out and covered myself in scrim. Witihn 5 minutes, she was there. Guess where I'll be tomorrow evening? Time for that flared for landing image. If I get that, then a diving shot with a fish, my work is done. might only take another 3 years. :LOL:

Looking for crit here, as I wish the BG was a bit more colourful but it is what it is, a peat tainted river in shadow. The sun was just begining to soften.

Canon M5, Sigma 150-600C, f7.1, ISO 1250, 1/4000 sec, 600mm. Only bait was the perch.

(image taken under a Schedule 1 licence issued by NatureScot).

Juvenile Female Kingfisher. by Dale, on Flickr
Thats stunning, what a pic

They are pure dead brilliant, now I have run out of superlatives. Great job, you must be very pleased with them.

Back