Ferrofluid - more pictures added

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Something a bit different - this is Ferrofluid, an oil based fluid that contains ferous particles. When exposed to a magnetic field, it forms spikes and patterns. Here are a few shots I took when playing with it.. Hope you like them.

1)
4296496930_a6d77bf586.jpg

2)
4296497280_e7b5e94f66.jpg

3)
4296497558_cd05edfe36.jpg

4)
4295753221_d1e625caa6.jpg

There are a couple more here.http://www.flickr.com/photos/elastoman/

Last edited:
Now you've gone and done it:LOL:

I like them(y) if you can diffuse the flash a bit they could be even better;)

if you can diffuse the flash a bit they could be even better
Thanks RJL2005, I'll give that a go next time. I didn't realise just how reflective this stuff was going to be - you can see the kettle in one of them! These were really a quick "let's see if this works", so I have bigger and better plans for next time!

You're gonna have some fun with that!
Oh Yes!! (y)

Thanks to all for your comments:)

thats cool (y) experiments on this could be forthcoming from several members ;)

Great shots ElastoMan, did you use super strong Neodynium magnets for these shots???

thats cool (y) experiments on this could be forthcoming from several members ;)

:D I've played with it before in a professional capacity (I used to do some work for KEF (speaker manufacturers) in the 90's), damned messy stuff!!

did you use super strong Neodynium magnets for these shots???

Yes I did. These were taken using 20x8mm diameter Neos under a petri dish. I tried a few with a number of smaller magnets but they didn't work quite as well. I think I need to play with different magnets in combination with different volumes of fluid to get better results.

You're right about it being messy - I was very careful, using latex gloves when anywhere near the stuff and taking them off when I got anywhere near the camera! When I used some previously (for work) I had a bit of a spillage and it took about a week to get rid of the stains from my hands! The table top never recovered!

wow that is awsome, Im sure you can find sum great pics with this

Fantastic! I think you've just started the new "water droplets" craze for 2010 ;)

This looks like robbo's department if it is that messy then :LOL:

/me pictures Robbo's new puppy being dragged in the direction of a strong magnet after Robbo attempts some new shots :D

This looks like robbo's department if it is that messy then :LOL:

give the guy a break ;) its only a bit of oil...how could he make a mess :LOL::LOL:

:)

Thanks everyone.

I'm really pleased with the response on these! I'm sure there are some TP'ers who will come up with much better shots than I have but I would very much like to see some others trying this.

For those who are interested, this is where I got mine from.

Here are a few more...

4301182109_edbc67a3e7.jpg

4301182281_12672c129d_o.jpg

4301182537_f4ebdf091e.jpg

4301930996_cc959b1d46.jpg

Last edited:
That's one of the coolest sets of images i think i have ever seen on here!!!

o.m.g they are so cool. i just spent time looking at waterdrops thinking they were good then i saw these . truely fantastic

More awesome pics :)

What would happen if you dropped a drop of the ferrofluid onto the blobs of fluid with the spikes in? (y)

iron filings mixed in with some oil it'd do the same, no? I remember iron filings from my chemistry set 9 :D

Thanks everyone (y)

What would happen if you dropped a drop of the ferrofluid onto the blobs of fluid with the spikes in?

I don't know - yet! The thought had crossed my mind though! ;)

I've given in to temptation and just bought a bottle...
You know it makes sense :naughty:

Back