Few Ice Hockey shots

Edit My Images
Yes
Not been posting here for a while, but whit the Xmas holidays I thought to pop-over and post few images from last night's game. Nothing spectacular, just your regular hockey shots.

Last night tried to shoot JPEG for the first time in ages, mixed feelings about it. Sure the buffer can take more shots, so can get more shots of the same situation. Is that good or not?? Having a tight dead line to deliver the shots, I am not sure I want another couple of 100 shots to browse through.
So I do not see the extra JPEG buffering as that big of a bonus for myself..
Colors of course were better right out of the camera, when comparing to shooting RAW. But the quick tweaks to RAW images do not really take that long that this would be an issue either.
One thing of course is that I did not have to run these through noise reduction, they came OK out of the camera. WHere as my RAW files always have to run through Noise Ninja or equivalent (depending on the Arena naturally).
All shots were shot in Manual, with ISO 1000, f3.2 - 3.5 and 1/640 - 1/500.

Will I be switching back from RAW to JPEG... I doubt it. Even it is not always needed to have the big file size and the extra room to save more of a shot, I still think that RAW gives me more flexibility with my images and does not take noticeably longer to edit the images to be sent to the papers.

Anyways, here are the couple of shots.

SaiPaHPK2.jpg

Goalies never get enough coverage, and as the goalie was the MVP - this shot was one of the ones the paper published.

SaiPaHPK3.jpg

Just your normal average action shot...

SaiPaHPK4.jpg

Got some expressions on the faces here, a bit surprised that the 1/640 didn't freeze the puck in this shot. Usually at that speed it does. The background isn't the cleanest possibly in this one.. but I forgive myself that :bonk:

Cheers, and at this instance the puck did move a little too fast for my liking. Then again, i suppose it does give the sense of how fast the shot really was ...

Very nice shots.

I took some shots at my first match on saturday and was stuck at 70mm on my sigma just so i could use F4, I had to use a shutter of 1/125th so all of mine are poo.

Will post some up so would appreciate some advice on what i need to improve.

Its made me realise how difficult it is to shoot this sport.

your looking at a puck moving 80mph-115mph ish?

I had my shot measured at roller hockey at 89mph and I was only a whipper snapper and 2stone lighter then I am now lol

Its apparently known as the fastest moving team sport in the world.

rob

your looking at a puck moving 80mph-115mph ish?

I had my shot measured at roller hockey at 89mph and I was only a whipper snapper and 2stone lighter then I am now lol

Its apparently known as the fastest moving team sport in the world.

rob

it is the fastest team sport in the world. NHL players have hit upto 160mph slap shots, thats mental.

I'm even more impressed with these shots after processing some of mine.

It seems shooting at f3.5 is alot better than my lens which can only drop to f4.

You're being a little hard on yourself. I think these are great for indoor hockey shots. Well taken....

You're being a little hard on yourself. I think these are great for indoor hockey shots. Well taken....

Thanks for your kind comments, very nice to know that the photos are appreciated and enjoyed. But don't they say that one should always try to be the most judgemental person when it comes to their own photos..

Thanks for your kind comments, very nice to know that the photos are appreciated and enjoyed. But don't they say that one should always try to be the most judgemental person when it comes to their own photos..

Have you seen the new VW golf advert, its about the only person you need to beat is yourself, good advert.

Its so easy to pick holes in your own work. These are cracking though.

Back