Critique Few pictures of the kids

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone,

Here are a few pictures of the kids, more than happy for the photos to be critiqued - so long as like most parents, it’s just the photo

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2222.JPG
    IMG_2222.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 29
Nice fun photos, they seemed to have been enjoying themselves. :)

Anything you two would have done different? Or any ideas if they’re framed properly - genuinely interested - you won’t put me off or hurt my feelings

Well... the top of head goes off the frame in one and is just ever so slightly clipped in another but for all I know these are deliberate framing choices.

The colours look good though. I suppose the direction of light is a factor but one thing I often see in my own pictures is a green cast on the subjects face or part of it and that could be hard to avoid in some conditions I suppose, but not for you so well done for that :D

PS.
You've certainly pressed the shutter at a good time for them all, the expressions are very nice :D

Last edited:
Well... the top of head goes off the frame in one and is just ever so slightly clipped in another but for all I know these are deliberate framing choices.

The colours look good though. I suppose the direction of light is a factor but one thing I often see in my own pictures is a green cast on the subjects face or part of it and that could be hard to avoid in some conditions I suppose, but not for you so well done for that :D

Not a deliberate choice to take the top of his head off, or clip her head, just trying to get some nice photos - hopefully my “eye” will develop and I will notice things like this at the time so I can try and get another similar shot!

Not sure what you mean about avoiding a green cast, would that be reflected light from the leaves? Luck is I think replacing skill in that case

Thanks for your points - will look out for future issues.

Not a deliberate choice to take the top of his head off, or clip her head, just trying to get some nice photos - hopefully my “eye” will develop and I will notice things like this at the time so I can try and get another similar shot!

Not sure what you mean about avoiding a green cast, would that be reflected light from the leaves? Luck is I think replacing skill in that case

Thanks for your points - will look out for future issues.

Yes, I often take pictures in a place with high tress and bushes on each side so that can be a problem for me.

One thing I keep telling myself is to really see the picture I'm about to take as when you press the button that's it and it can be disappointing if you do something like clip something important, take a shot with something behind looking like it's sticking out of the subjects head or there's something there that you really should have spotted. It's not always easy and there's not always time though :D

Yes, I often take pictures in a place with high tress and bushes on each side so that can be a problem for me.

One thing I keep telling myself is to really see the picture I'm about to take as when you press the button that's it and it can be disappointing if you do something like clip something important, take a shot with something behind looking like it's sticking out of the subjects head or there's something there that you really should have spotted. It's not always easy and there's not always time though :D
Too right, I often think I could take a picture of someone in the desert and still get a picture of them with a tree growing out of their head

It’s why I love digital cameras, because I couldn’t afford to take the number of pictures I do to get the few that I like of I was paying for film

haha!

Yup, me too but sometimes other than not taking the picture there's no choice than to have something there that you'd rather wasn't and when that's the case I'm always in favour of taking the picture.

The latest addition and the first time taking baby pics

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2228.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 11
haha!

Yup, me too but sometimes other than not taking the picture there's no choice than to have something there that you'd rather wasn't and when that's the case I'm always in favour of taking the picture.
Always take the picture because at least then you will have the memory as opposed to the memory of a memory - if that makes sense

Thanks, I appreciate that, anything you can think of that would make them better?

Golly. If I had to say anything I'd say the light is a bit flat but could you do anything about that without distressing the baby? Maybe position the baby near some natural light? A window?

PS.
There's a lovely glint in the eye in that middle shot though :D

Last edited:
Golly. If I had to say anything I'd say the light is a bit flat but could you do anything about that without distressing the baby? Maybe position the baby near some natural light? A window?

PS.
There's a lovely glint in the eye in that middle shot though :D
We were in the orangery and she was underneath the lantern in the roof, although I think the main windows may have had their blinds closed. The day was overcast I think.

First time doing it and although I have bought a BASIC studio kit I didn’t use it.

No flash on the camera or in the studio kit, just lights.

Will have another go - think it would be better with the window blinds up or artificial light?

Thanks for the help!!

We were in the orangery and she was underneath the lantern in the roof, although I think the main windows may have had their blinds closed. The day was overcast I think.

First time doing it and although I have bought a BASIC studio kit I didn’t use it.

No flash on the camera or in the studio kit, just lights.

Will have another go - think it would be better with the window blinds up or artificial light?

Thanks for the help!!

I know nothing about artificial lighting so I personally would go for natural light. You may know better :D

Just sort of on light... One thing I have changed my mind on over the years is blown highlights. In the past I'd probably go to lengths to ensure nothing was blown but these days I sometime deliberately blow some highlights for the look of the picture.

Don’t know how to

One thing you can do is downsize your pictures and then upload them from your pc directly to here using this option...

1-Untitled-1.jpg

You then just brows your pc, select the picture and it appears here.

Good luck with it :D

Don’t know how to
When you choose your image, you will see a larger image and a thumbnail.
The thumbnail says insert on it.
Ignore that and just hit reply and the larger image will show instead of the thumbnail.....

Screenshot_20220524-225529_Chrome.jpg

Larger image appears like this...
20220522_094928.jpg

Last edited:
Just get an error message saying the file is too large - is this method still limited to the 1042px and 500kb?

Just get an error message saying the file is too large - is this method still limited to the 1042px and 500kb?
Yup. The size limit is a limit imposed by this forum so you need to resize your pictures. I do 1,000 wide and keep below the kb limit.

Looks like you've done it. Very well done Paul :D

There's no stopping you now... :D

Back