FFS!!! Lost photos

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I appear to have accidentally deleted about 2000 images.

My Lightroom catalogue was showing the images as missing, which usual means I've transferred them to my external drive. So I removed them from LR, stupidly removed the ones I'd uploaded to Flickr as well because they're linked.

Now discover that they're not on the external drive and Time Machine backups are only restorable from my other drive which I last did about 2 months ago, thinking that locally stored backups were complete ones. Back up LR catalogue just shows grey boxes.

I've f**ked up haven't I?

You could try a program called Recuva and see if that gets them back - mind you if you have put more stuff on your drive they may be there or not.

As soon as I take pictures I upload them to about 4 different sources - cloud, HDDs etc - even before editing that way I know I won't lose them all.

years ago i have lost 2 years of pictures due to hard drive failure. since that, always make sure i have at least one copy extra. ps i know the pain, sorry for you.

Windows alows you to restore contents of a directory to a previous version. Right click mouse at directory level.
Laborious if they were spread across multiple directories.
Always check backup before deletion, don't you hate it when someone says that? Sorry but it is good advice.
Matt

On the off chance, have you checked the recycle bin. If you have used the "delete file from disc" they may still be in this location.

Thanks all, and all good advice which I will heed from now on!

I managed to find our holiday images which I'd saved to Dropbox to share with friends who came with us so at least that's something.

Lesson learned!

This is why I backup my backups, and even backup them too. Happened to me once, so never again.

I use offsite backups. Two Synology NAS, one at home, one at the parents, and use the built-in rsync backup facility to perform nightly remote backups.

I would never rely upon cloud storage like Dropbox, Flickr, Timebox etc.. Create something yourself that works properly.

Back