Film Photo Challenge 12 Discussion Thread

Edit My Images
Yes
SPLASH! Entries Thread here, this thread is for discussion only.

I hope this topic prompts entries with both literal and lateral interpretations! I was thinking "Splash of Colour" or "Splash of light", but I'm keen to see what we can all come up with!

I've chiseled the chewing gum from the back of Challenge 11, and stickied #12 discussion and entries threads so they don't go walkabout.

Splash? Huh? erm gotta find my ducks for the bath now that swimming with my plastic Dolphin in summer is over.

I'm hoping somebody will be able to shoe-horn some bonfire/fireworks shots into this topic. I know I'll be dragging a tripod out tonight!

Well I didn't think I was going to come up with something for this but I've been taking a few photos this month and thought this one might fill the bill as an advertising splash with the added factor of being reflected in the water. The huge ad board is along the M5 junction 1 to 2 and cost about 2.5 million to put there !
The photo is shot on HP5 and developed in Xtol at standard box rating 400asa, nothing fancy.

Ah! Two entries, that makes it a competition!

I'd hoped I'd found a nice open topic that would bring in loads of entries, but I'm willing to see this as an opportunity.

As a way of getting back into having parallel challenges again (while we're voting for one, we're shooting for another), I'll suggest whoever comes first this month sets challenge 13 and whoever comes second sets challenge 14.

Does that sound good? And it's belt and braces against number 13 going wrong!

Ah! Two entries, that makes it a competition!

I'd hoped I'd found a nice open topic that would bring in loads of entries, but I'm willing to see this as an opportunity.

As a way of getting back into having parallel challenges again (while we're voting for one, we're shooting for another), I'll suggest whoever comes first this month sets challenge 13 and whoever comes second sets challenge 14.

Does that sound good? And it's belt and braces against number 13 going wrong!

You had picked a great subject and I feel really guilty for not getting an entry in, I have actually taken one but have simply not sent the films off for processing yet.

Maybe we could let it run a little longer but also get another one up and running so we can be shooting something over the Christmas period.

I never even got round to shooting a photo for this! Shame as it was a great theme. Hopefully back to it next time.

I never even got round to shooting a photo for this! Shame as it was a great theme. Hopefully back to it next time.

Come on Jim, put that Leica to good use (y)

Come on Jim, put that Leica to good use (y)

Will do. I shot 6 rolls of film over the period but 3 were at my brother's wedding and I didn't have any inspiration for the subject with the others! Still, I will await the next challenge, leica and luby in hand.

Dammit! Forgot all about this! Rather annoyingly I shot something on December 1st that would have been ideal as well, but it hasn't been developed yet!

Well I just want to further encourage anyone who sets a challenge thread.
I shot for this challenge but for a number of reasons non of my shots were up to scratch, by the time I'd seen them it was too late to re-shoot.
Whilst actual entries numbered only two, there may have been quite a few peeps giving it a go and coming up short, but participation, accepting a challenge, shooting with intention is what its all about...:)

xkq82a.jpg

You had picked a great subject and I feel really guilty for not getting an entry in, I have actually taken one but have simply not sent the films off for processing yet.

Maybe we could let it run a little longer but also get another one up and running so we can be shooting something over the Christmas period.

I took some too, but the HP5's still taped up in a drawer waiting for it's bath.

Well... you can't play to win, but you can all still play! If you've shot anything that's on topic, but haven't developed it yet or it's ready to go I don't see why you can't post it in the thread. I always think it's a shame when these challenge threads disappear as there's always great shots and interesting interpretations of the theme.

Don't forget Brian or John (excalibur2 or Fishman Fuji) will be putting up a new challenge in a few days - make sure you've got some film (and if necessary) fresh batteries in your camera!

And VOTE, VOTE, VOTE everyone! Here

Edit - must have been typing at the same time as Joxby!

Last edited:
Thanks, but I crapped out on a million different levels...:LOL:

Tell you what though, I learned not to lose my Veronica flash sync cable ever again, that HF lighting only works at 1/500th if you actually remember to use it, and Provia 400 does not colour at all well with 5500k lamps, so I'm happy with that :D

Well if John (Fishman Fuji) would agree to a tie, the next competition could be "winter" that should be easy for anyone.

Well it's pretty neck & neck so far ! But I had been thinking of "winter" as a theme, so Brian, shall we lay that down as the next topic ? And hopefully it won't freeze up everyone's inspiration (yeah I know it's a dreadful pun).

Last edited:
Well it's pretty neck & neck so far ! But I had been thinking of "winter" as a theme, so Brian, shall we lay that down as the next topic ? And hopefully it won't freeze up everyone's inspiration (yeah I know it's a dreadful pun).

Winter it is then. (y)

One of you will need to start the competition thread and then give Mark (aka TheBigYin) a shout to sticky it.

Back