Film Photo Challenge 23 Dreich Discussion thread

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies for the delay, I've been up north in a slightly damp Crief for the last couple of days, took the RB hoping for an opportunity for some nice Highland landscapes but the weather never played ball so my misfortune is now your misfortune, Dreich summed up my midweek break and seemed appropriate! :D

Subject is Dreich.

Non scots can use Google but you'll recognise it when you see it. Doesn't have to be weather as I've learned you can shoe horn any thing in here :D

Challenge starts now and ends 23:59 Saturday 6th April 2013.

Please keep all discussion on this thread, the entries to be posted here

Good luck!

Last edited:
haha....had to google it.

But living in Manchester, I fully understand it :)

thread stickied, along with the entries thread, and the chewing gum scraped off Challenge 22 for good measure...

Steve, I suspect Asha might be the only one to struggle to capture it in its native environment.

Cheers Mark that was to be my next order of business.

I don't believe it ...Lived down here for 9 years and yesterday was the first time I've ever seen anything like dreich here in Nice(even had the fine drizzle!) .....could have had the "perfect" shot!:bang:

If anyone is gunna have to shoehorn something into this theme...it's gunna be me I guess.....I just knew Steveo would come up with summat totally obscure.....:bat::D

I suspect Asha might be the only one to struggle to capture it in its native environment.

Mmmm chosen purposely perhaps:thinking:.....the Mrs looks guilty of having some involvement....as if the "Blix in tea" wasn't enough!! :D

Huh Dreich! sounds like something German.....and I'm a sunny weather photographer :(

Huh Dreich! sounds like something German.....and I'm a sunny weather photographer :(

:LOL: and at times you thought my themes were testing ..............this takes the biscuit:D:D

Darn it! Been in rainy Glasgow all day at a funeral, can't get more dreich than that, but going back to sunny Midlands tomorrow! (Actually I believe they are not going to be sunny so maybe something will pop up.)

:LOL: and at times you thought my themes were testing ..............this takes the biscuit:D:D

Ach, you'll think of shome thing. :)

Darn it! Been in rainy Glasgow all day at a funeral, can't get more dreich than that, but going back to sunny Midlands tomorrow! (Actually I believe they are not going to be sunny so maybe something will pop up.)

TBH I wish I thought of it before, plenty of stereotypical dreich going on for the last few days.

Does snow count, that's all I've got here and I need to send the film for development. :(

It's better than I've managed, last week was a write off and the last few days it's felt like -5 so I've not had the motivation!

I've got a concept wether I get it on film is anyone's guess...

Since only Jared has come up with the goods and to, hopefully, give every one a chance with temperatures over 1c and unless there are any complaints, I'll push this back a week.

We've been having micro blizzards up here, they start, they stop they're blown round by the wind. Very unpleasant to cycle in, never mind standing around taking pictures!

We've been having micro blizzards up here, they start, they stop they're blown round by the wind. Very unpleasant to cycle in, never mind standing around taking pictures!

Well my hobby is cycling (to keep fit) on foot paths thru' the countryside and taking shots in sunny weather..that's my problem :( and will have to bend the rules by posting an ordinary shot (taken a few years ago) when I was caught out in a shower erm if I can find it ;)

Dreich isn't just weather!

I understand that though, I've not been out for a leisure ride since October just my commute but I need to get to work what ever the weather.

****Dreich isn't just weather!***

Huh! well I was just going by the meaning when the word was typed into google.

Since only Jared has come up with the goods and to, hopefully, give every one a chance with temperatures over 1c and unless there are any complaints, I'll push this back a week.

Thanks for the extension.

It's been surprisingly un-dreich like in Manchester over the last couple of weeks....can't last so I'm certain to get an opportunity in the next week.

I have a shot I would like to enter. It's a scan of a contact print I made. The negative I used was digitally produced but the print is a traditional cyanotype. Acceptable or no?

I have no objections, as long as you tell me how you digitally produce a negative :)

Not sure that sounds like either "film" or "conventional"!

Not that bit, no, but the resulting print maybe?

The answer is simple for me, did you load a film of some description into a camera and take a photo?

If the answer is no then no it's not acceptable, if the answer is yes then feel free to enter it.

The answer is simple for me, did you load a film of some description into a camera and take a photo?

If the answer is no then no it's not acceptable, if the answer is yes then feel free to enter it.

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me

Remember final day today. Looks like a beautiful day... Probably won't help.

Another beautiful sunny day in Manchester today....no entry from me.

Nothing from me either, I knew the shot I wanted in my head and although the weather has been a bit **** it just wasn't dreich.

Not looking good for an entry here either ......Had some suitable weather and took a shot which is yet to be devd but tbh it wasn't really what I was after entering.

I may dev this evening if I have time and see if it's worth posting up last minute....

I didn't get the shot in my head but I think I've got something a little more abstract I'll have to wait till this evening to scan it though.

Went with my third fall back, even pushed in rodinal 120 hides the grain too well!

Litterally uploading this atm!! talk about last minute!!!

Just seen the TP clock stated 22:56 when I posted ( not updated the summer time yet???) .......maybe I could have had another hour and not rushed so much then?

As it is my entry went in just in (official) time with a few mins spare.

It needs more pp to get rid of dust bunnies but seeing as the film was hanging to dry less that, 40 minutes ago, scanned and processed in the last 10 mins, I think I managed pretty well tbh.

It's the only shot I got with a dreich theme, nonetheless well pleased to have been able to take part in the challenge.

All done? I'm not sure how to set up the poll and i'm not sure I'll get to a desktop tonight, don't suppose a benevolent moderator could do the deed for me... Just this once, promise :)

Actually, scratch that. Got home after all. Poll open.

Last edited:
Back