Filter holder/adapter sense-check!

Edit My Images
No
I have got my hands on a Nikon 28mm AI-S lens (again!) with a view to using it as my 'landscape/scenery' lens on a D700. This lens has a 52mm filter thread btw. Being new to filters/holders I have been reading up on the different options but wanted to make sure I've got it right...all suggestions/help appreciated. :)

I'm looking at getting a Cokin P holder with a 52mm adapter ring - is this right so far? There are two Cokin P holders available as far as I can make out, the P400 and P400A (wide-angle); which one do I need?

I'm then looking at getting a selection of ND and GND filters to fit in the holder...typically 0.3/0.6/0.9 in both (maybe a 10-stopper if I'm feeling adventurous). I've read to stay clear of Cokin for various reasons....I'm looking for advice on the filters (what to go for, where to buy, etc).

I'm going on hols at the end of the week so needs to be available to buy pretty sharpish!

Many thanks,

Steve

Have a look at the Lee filters.

People say stay clear of the Cokin NDs mainly as they are said to have a colour cast.

...but yes, with any of the slot based systems, you'd need a 52mm adapter ring.

I'd suggest to go with the Wideangle version.

On my D700, a normal filter will not vignette even at 24mm; however with a filter holder it may just do that. Hence, at 28mm, it would be safer to go with the Wideangle version :shrug:

Or, you could buy the normal one and if you do find it to vignette then just sell it here and buy the Wideangle version.

Yes, you are correct, in that you will need the 52mm adapter ring and the holder.

As for 10 stop ND, I wouldn't suggest you get the square ones. There will be a lot of light leek that you will start to get colour problems which will need to be corrected in PP. I'd suggest you go for the B+W 77mm 10 stop filter and use stepping rings to mount this on your various lenses.

As for the square filters, I use Hi-Tech, they're far better than Cokin but not as good as Lee; but are a lot cheaper than Lee.

Thanks for the clarification and links, much appreciated. (y)

As I've never used stepping rings, my assumption was that you could just use one (i.e. 77mm filter > step-down ring > 72mm diameter lens). Am I way off here?

I was just considering getting the B+W 10-stopper in a 52mm filter just for use with the Nikon lens...in hindsight that may not be the best option. :thinking:

Wail - on the links for the ND/GND filters, what size would I need for them to fit in a Cokin P Holder? 85mm or 100mm?

Get someone with a full frame camera to verify this but at 28mm you should be able to use a regular holder that takes 2 filters. On my crop sensor my filter holder only gets in the way at about 12mm.

I think P series are 85mm filters but don't take my word for it.

Get someone with a full frame camera to verify this but at 28mm you should be able to use a regular holder that takes 2 filters. On my crop sensor my filter holder only gets in the way at about 12mm.

I think P series are 85mm filters but don't take my word for it.

Thanks...:)

Wail has the same camera as me. From the research I have done it appears the 85mm filters are the ones to go for.

Now to work out whether I need hard or soft ND Grads...:thinking:

Steve

Thanks for the clarification and links, much appreciated. (y)

As I've never used stepping rings, my assumption was that you could just use one (i.e. 77mm filter > step-down ring > 72mm diameter lens). Am I way off here?

I was just considering getting the B+W 10-stopper in a 52mm filter just for use with the Nikon lens...in hindsight that may not be the best option. :thinking:

You are more than welcome :)

About the stepping rings, you are correct .. there are Step-Up rings and Step-Down ones too. So, you can go either way.

As for the B+W 10-stop ND; I'd be inclined to go with the widest sized lens I have (in my case it's 77mm) and then use Stepping rings to use it on smaller threaded lenses. Save me from having to buy one for each lens :shrug:

Wail - on the links for the ND/GND filters, what size would I need for them to fit in a Cokin P Holder? 85mm or 100mm?

On the Hi-Tech, if you use up to 82mm ø lens (as I had with the Sigma 20mm f/1.8) then the 85mm Hi-Tech were big enough. I don't think the 85mm Hi-Tech will be suitable for anything bigger than 82mm ø.

That said, if you do plan, in your future, to have bigger threaded lens, then it may be worth while investing in the 100mm filters. Personally, I didn't find it worth it. That is not until I decide to upgrade my filters to Lee, in which case I will just invest in a whole new set-up.

Now to work out whether I need hard or soft ND Grads...:thinking:

Steve

That's a tricky one, a very Very VERY tricky one, or so I found.

In the end I went for the both :LOL: .. I use the hard edge when the horizon is a very clear-cut line (like in the deserts of Saudi) ... and the soft-edge where the horizon is more of a mountainous terrain!

That's a tricky one, a very Very VERY tricky one, or so I found.

In the end I went for the both :LOL: .. I use the hard edge when the horizon is a very clear-cut line (like in the deserts of Saudi) ... and the soft-edge where the horizon is more of a mountainous terrain!

Indeed! :LOL:

I was thinking over going for the special kit and specify 0.6 GND's in Hard and Soft and a 0.9 Hard too. That should do for now. :)

Back