FilterFantastic

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone ever heard of them? They are local and have a Canon 16-35MkII which I'm after but I have never heard of them or dealt with them.

I am trying to arrange going to their shop/unit/house sometime before buying the lens but they are saying everything is delivered direct from their supplier.

Your thoughts...?

www.filterfantastic.co.uk

DB

Used to be harbour48 - lots of VERY mixed feedback about them, tread carefully...they might be fine, but some people have reported problems on the forum before.

Well they certainly seemed cheap and the "primary" method of payment was by credit card which would give you quite a bit of protection. The bit I didn't like when I was looking at the Canon 1D mark III at £2099 (VERY cheap) was the "AS NEW" bit.

Hadn't a clue about Nikon prices which is why I looked at Canon. I'd walk away from this one personally.

cheers

Well they certainly seemed cheap and the "primary" method of payment was by credit card which would give you quite a bit of protection. The bit I didn't like when I was looking at the Canon 1D mark III at £2099 (VERY cheap) was the "AS NEW" bit.

Hadn't a clue about Nikon prices which is why I looked at Canon. I'd walk away from this one personally.

cheers

The devil is in the detail with their descriptions, particularly on Ebay. They bought a lot of refurbished Nikon gear from Jessops and dumped it on Ebay, but unless you read the text very carefully you'd miss the mention of that fact......

Last edited:
7 Day Cooling Off Period
As we are also aware you cannot physically see the product in your hands via Mail Order, we will also offer a simple 7 day cooling off period on all purchases so that you can fully test the kit to make sure you are happy with it.

They're NOT doing you any favours... it's the law. Distance selling regulations 2000

7 Day Cooling Off Period
As we are also aware you cannot physically see the product in your hands via Mail Order, we will also offer a simple 7 day cooling off period on all purchases so that you can fully test the kit to make sure you are happy with it.

They're NOT doing you any favours... it's the law. Distance selling regulations 2000

So you'd think, but I'm still doing battle with an Ebay business seller who wouldn't accept a return or offer a refund for faulty goods..

So you'd think, but I'm still doing battle with an Ebay business seller who wouldn't accept a return or offer a refund for faulty goods..

I know! Just because it's the law doesn't mean they're going to abide by it.
The daft thing is some of the largest companies are just as likely to ignore the law when it suits them. Ever had a problem and had the seller say that you had to contact the manufacturer? Despite the contact of sale being with them?

I sympathise, but I know it's not much consolation!

cheers

i used them once never again ( we do not use stock Photos)mmmmmmmmmmm is that why it looks totaly diffrent to what they sent no manuals no cables no nothing except the picture showed the cables etc etc and then told me it definatley was not stock photo when i rang up total waste of time in my opinion

and flash does that mean they buy off e bay and sell on for more back on e bay thats what i can see am i right

i used them once never again ( we do not use stock Photos)mmmmmmmmmmm is that why it looks totaly diffrent to what they sent no manuals no cables no nothing except the picture showed the cables etc etc and then told me it definatley was not stock photo when i rang up total waste of time in my opinion

and flash does that mean they buy off e bay and sell on for more back on e bay thats what i can see am i right

Yeah,no stock photos, they just manage to get 20 different D200s in exactly the same position when they photograph them :LOL:

I bought my Canon 1000D brand new with warranty a couple weeks ago through eBay with them, great price £255 body only and it was a very smooth transaction. My experience with them has been great. I would definitely deal with them again.

Last edited:
Seriously, don't rely on paypal. Push the CC company. If it's gone pear shaped, they're liable! And don't let them tell you otherwise.

One step at a time...Paypal first. It's not a lot of money, so I'm not overly bothered, just don't intend to let them get away without at least some hassle :naughty:

Seems to have stimulated quite a bit of discussion.

I am only 5 mins down the road so if they want the business they will let me come and inspect good first - sounds like the safest bet.

I'll let you know how I get on with them.

DB

Very mixed, I've bought from them 3 times, one was awful (see my thread on this), the other was a "unused" camera that was clearly refurb and also had shots on the counter (which didn't really bother me),and I got a pair of Fuji S5 Pro batteries cheap, and that was fine (although they were selling them as compatible with the D200 / D300!)

I am blocked from buying from them now, as I don't take any crap, and unfortunately as they sell a lot of crap, its a win-win :)

so there not really any good then,as i was after a 1d mk11

Last edited:

They just overexpose everything so that no detail can be seen now

Seriously, don't rely on paypal. Push the CC company. If it's gone pear shaped, they're liable! And don't let them tell you otherwise.

Actually that is not correct, be very careful with this. Your contract with your CC on a purchase made through paypal gives you no protection at all. I had this discussion with my CC company and they said that as I had paid through paypal the CC is effectively a contract with paypal and not the supplier of the goods and they would not get involved at all with any dispute on the goods/payment made:(

Last edited:
Would love to know if the products they sell are worth the money.... a 1d mk3 for £2099!

Lots of errors with the text on the website...

Did you mange to visit the premisses?

Actually that is not correct, be very careful with this. Your contract with your CC on a purchase made through paypal gives you no protection at all. I had this discussion with my CC company and they said that as I had paid through paypal the CC is effectively a contract with paypal and not the supplier of the goods and they would not get involved at all with any dispute on the goods/payment made:(

I'm surprised at that. I'm not disputing you word at all, but it does sound as though they were trying to wriggle out of it, and makes me wonder if this has ever been proved in a court?

On the other hand if it is indeed true, it sounds like yet another reason not to use paypal.

I think the answers is a bit poor but this is the email received last night...

Evening David - Sorry, we could not arrange that. We work to just a 3% profit margin on the Ebay side to keep it competitive - it does not leave room for personal viewings.

Thanks

If they work for 3% profit they really need to look at a new market...Thank you, but no thank you...

DB

7 Day Cooling Off Period

I am pretty sure that the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) don't protect you for auction purchases. If you use "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" then the DSR do protect you. Therefore an offer of a cooling off period for auction purchases is providing an additional right (which can be enforced against them if necessary as it forms a part of your contract with them).

Of course if the item is not as described then you don't need to rely on the DSR anyway, as other consumer law protects you.

Re credit cards - out of preference, if the seller takes credit cards directly, I would go that route every time (rather than via Paypal). That way the CC company are liable and have no way of "wriggling".

Last edited:
Not Filter fantastic, but I had a run in with ebay recently where I bought something only to be contacted by the seller afterwards to say the item had been sold privately (first I knew of it being advertised elsewhere).

Total no no as per ebay rules, so I was straight on the phone to ebay support. They sounded really miffed to but their only proposal was to suggest I threaten the seller with legal action personally. Big help they were.

I'm less and less convinced by any of the protection offered by ebay.

There's also plenty of scams going around where people offer cheap camera gear for sale and request your address and ebay ID (typically Gumtree/Amazon etc...) to complete the transaction. Usually involving top gear and/or someone's husband in a far off location. Be very wary!!!

(Apologies for temporarily hijacking the thread)

Rule of thumb: if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!!!

Hi

I bought my canon 40d on ebay from filter fantastic. I paid 580 for it including 28-80 lens (probably paid over the top for it) but i was new to photography.

Anyway filter fantastic, - just be aware - I couldn't leave negative feedback, but I wasn't happy, it arrived nearly two weeks late, and this was after numerous emails and phone calls to the owner (found on website.) Contact previous customers to tell them what they thought - I only did after I bought it. Many wouldn't use them again - doubt I wouldn't

Hope that helps

THEY ARE BAD! BEWARE!!!!

I dealt with them under their old name - harbour48 - 1 year ago. I had to claim through my credit card company, it took me over 3 months after I returned it and made them to sign the papers. There must be a reason why they are no longer harbour48 and I think that was it. I have not dealt with filterfantastic08 (looks like the same people), and will never do!

They buy all junk on ebay in all conditions (look at their purchases and see for yourself), and sell it for far more (again all visible).

If you get a working highly overpriced item, then consider yourself very lucky (i.e. that 40D + 28-80 for £589). Why don't you just find a good and clean one on ebay from a PRIVATE seller? They are really the worst breed (not proved, there may be some slightly worse ones somewhere).

To Lawyers: this is a fact which I state as my opinion. HSBC knows about them.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at that. I'm not disputing you word at all, but it does sound as though they were trying to wriggle out of it, and makes me wonder if this has ever been proved in a court?

On the other hand if it is indeed true, it sounds like yet another reason not to use paypal.

Yes it is true, I worked in banking for 11 years and did some asking around and if you think it through it does make sense, by using paypal you are effectively engaging the services of the credit card provider as nothing more than a cash withdrawal from the card, these funds then go to paypal ie the receiver of the funds. Paypal then make a payment to supplier X who receives their money from paypal. Any issue with supplier X is then an issue between paypal and the supplier and the credit card company have no obligation to do anything for you :(

I am not saying some CC companies might not offer to help but if it comes down to the ts and cs of the credit card company's relationship with you then I think you will come unstuck

daugirdas - I'm no lawyer but you may wish to edit your post as you are clearly presenting that as a fact rather than an opinion and if they can prove it to be wrong, then you could find action taken against you for libel.

daugirdas - I'm no lawyer but you may wish to edit your post as you are clearly presenting that as a fact rather than an opinion and if they can prove it to be wrong, then you could find action taken against you for libel.

You don't imagine what I've been through with them! My bank knows it. It is a fact, I didn't dream that last night. Look at their feedback. I hope you are not one of them, are you?

You don't imagine what I've been through with them! My bank knows it. It is a fact, I didn't dream that last night. Look at their feedback. I hope you are not one of them, are you?

The fact that they're still trading at and not serving a jail sentance suggests it may not be as much a fact as you think.

You clearly have issues with them and I was just trying to save you the inconvenience of a court summons, but you can leave your post there for all I care. :bang:

The fact that they're still trading at and not serving a jail sentance suggests it may not be as much a fact as you think.

You clearly have issues with them and I was just trying to save you the inconvenience of a court summons, but you can leave your post there for all I care. :bang:

Excuse me, why are you threatening me? Do you even know my real name for a start? I think human rights allow expressing opinion about trade organisations, don't they? I am really concerned about other people getting into problems like that. I am sorry I can't recommend them to anybody.

Believe me, they are no longer harbour48 for a good reason, most likely the reason I explained above.

In fact I am surprised, they are still at large, but sadly ebay and law enforcement don't always go well together.

I bought my Canon 1000D brand new with warranty a couple weeks ago through eBay with them, great price £255 body only and it was a very smooth transaction. My experience with them has been great. I would definitely deal with them again.

That's the initial reaction from just about everyone who's bought from them, it's only when you look a little deeper and find that the chances of that UK warranty being valid are slim to none.

Filter Fantastic do not issue VAT receipts with any of their sales.
Warranty's are not valid without being accompanied with a legitimate sales receipt.

A quick TP search brings up enough information to make the decision not to buy anything from Filter Fantastic, they trade on a wing scam and a prayer fibb.

I already bought a Nikon FM2n and a Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 G from them, on ebay.
Everything was fine about the FM2, however the Nikkor came without the lens hood. I sent them more than 10 emails, always asking them to send me the lens hood and they kept finding excuses. They even told me it was already sent, however it never arrived...

Back