Filters.....

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Ok I'm a complete novice with this sort of thing (still using the stock 18-55mm Lens with my D500). I keep reading on here about 10 stoppers (and I like the results they give). What about UV/Polarising filters - what sort of effect do these have on your photos?

Do I need a specific type to fit to my camera (EOS D500). I did read that I can't use graduated filters as the ring at the front of the lens rotates when zooming in/out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

UV filters are used for protecting the lens from physical impact, some feel their lens is safer that way, others think that is not worthy putting an extra layer of glass in your lens.

Polarising filters are used to reduce glare and reflections from water/glass etc... and getting those lovely dark blue skies. You should have one in your kit.

10 stopers reduce amount of light, allowing for longer exposures, they are expensive but results can be expectacular. Up to your budget and if you want to experiment.

You can use graduated filters with your camera and lens combination, you just need to make sure that they are aligned properly before you take the picture.

The best graduated filter are the sqaure / rectangular ones that fit into a folder that is screwed into the lens using an adaptor ring. The makes to look out for are Lee, Hi Tech and Cokin

Back