Finally! Honey Bees in Flight, and other Honey shots.

Edit My Images
No
LOL I know I always put it (Mostly for the benefit of any new viewers) but these really do benefit from clicking to view larger :D

Kinda really excited as it's the first time I've truly succeeded at getting a Bee in flight and sharp too. Hovers are great to get in flight but often they do just that... Hover which kinda makes it a tiny bit easier.

This first one, I caught it right at the top of the frame and think perhaps I clipped a tiny tiny but of its head fluff :D but I'd like to consider this one rather successful :)

2014-5232.jpg

This second one, caught it on its approach and flying away but again, managed to snap a nice sharp shot. No crops on either of these shots.

2014-5235.jpg

The last three are of the same Honey bee finally enjoying something other than the Sedum :)

2014-5165.jpg

2014-5170.jpg

Slight wing clip but I still like the shot

2014-5173.jpg

Cheers Peter :)

Ploddles, it's clipped by the smallest of margins... in real measurements I'd probably say 0.5mm so I'm not too fussed :D. I'm certainly hoping to get more for sure :)

Thanks Ryan, in the bigger picture... 7 years lol. However today, it was lucky, I took about 6 or 7 shots before getting the first one. A further 9 or 10 before getting the second :)

No worries you have to give credit to great photos like these! I'm new to the Photography scene so if I can ever get to the stage where I am taking pictures like these I will be happy :)

Have the camera in continuous shooting mode for inflight and you may have caught it in frame in #1 lol

Both in flights are excellent and bees are so damn hard to capture as there flight path is always a mystery.

The others are just your wonderful style and simply brilliant

Haha it's in the bloody frame... just it's bleedin' 'beehive"' hair style got slightly clipped lmao :D

I considered burst after I'd got the shot but I must admit, I don't really like using burst with the flash...

Cheers dude L(

Ian, These shots are "Stunning" in my book, looking forward to seeing some more.(y)

George.

Thanks again all :) much appreciated.

Etienne, I shoot at 1/250th, F/10, ISO 250 and flash was on 1/2 +0.3 power.

Thanks again all :) much appreciated.

Etienne, I shoot at 1/250th, F/10, ISO 250 and flash was on 1/2 +0.3 power.

I guess it's the flash that really freezes the wings instead of a faster exposure then!

I would imagine so although there have been times when I've photographed Hoverflies in flight using the same exposure settings yet the wings are clearly visible but blurred :). I imagine it's also very largely down to the focal plane.

haha, perhaps I should have done that prior to posting but I'm tempted to give it a go ;)

Lol then when you post get ready for its too tight in the frame lol

NO I'm going to make the bee microscopic and the frame 45678265 pixels wide :D hahaha

Back