Critique Fireworks & ISS

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

After the airshow at Folkestone this weekend we had the usual firework display.

But typically 10mins before the fireworks started i looked over my shoulder to see ISS passing overhead, so i quickly snapped that then got a firework shot and merged the two in Photoshop.

Fireworks & ISS
by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

Comments & Critique are welcome :)

Thanks

Mike

The firework shot itself is very good and I'm sure if it was just this, you'd have gone with a tighter crop to show less sky in the frame. I'm not quite sure what the ISS adds to this image - if anything, it almost distracts me from the firework.

By the way, how do you identify the ISS? I often see star like lights moving at high speed high in the sky but how do you differentiate them from being a standard satellite to the ISS?

And that's literally at my door step. Man, I'm losing my touch but that is a great moment in time captured. Good work.

Now that digital phototgraphy is hugely popular where everyone are at it, it is now quite impossible to view every photo in this fine forum so I actually stumbled across this by accident.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this hasn't received a little more love than it has if I'm honest, as I think it was a good idea that you've executed well, as I've said over on Facebook when you first published it, If it were fireworks on its own then they'd be a little small in frame but its not an the actually fireworks have been captured nicely, I'd say the only improvement would be the ISS crossing frame above the fireworks as If observing the fireworks rather than travelling into the fireworks if that makes sense

Really like the shot but I too find the ISS really distracting.

Really like the shot but I too find the ISS really distracting.

Me too. I don't get these ISS shots. It's just a white line in the sky.

Fireworks and reflection is good but I'm not sure what the ISS adds. Would we know it was that, or a shooting star, or another rocket, if you hadn't told us?

By the way, how do you identify the ISS? I often see star like lights moving at high speed high in the sky but how do you differentiate them from being a standard satellite to the ISS?

It shifts, as in really fast compared to anything in the sky.

Check here to see it http://www.isstracker.com/

When it says bright, it means really bright, you'll definitely know it's the ISS when you see it.

Back