Firmware updates

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
I've just updated the firmware on my D300 bodies to the last version available before Nikon discontinued the model; never bothered before and I don't really know why I've done it now. Now I have finally gotten around to it, am I supposed to see any obviously visible improvements or is it something that just quietly goes on in the background? Just curious really.

Last edited:
Read the update notes, it's usually worth doing that before you update so you can decide if it's worth it or not. I'd never update blind.

Reactions: Nod
On Fuji cameras it's definitely worth doing as they modify the functionality based on user feedback.

Nikon stubbornly refuse to do this and updates tend to be to add compatibility to new lenses or accessories. On the whole I don't bother any more - from memory the last one was to add compatibility for the new 800mm lens, as if I'll ever own that :LOL:

Yeah! I've just perused the firmware update notes and it says that it's added support for the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR. Amazon USA are knocking them out at just shy of $18,000 so I don't think that's a realistic goal for me really unless you lot feel like chipping in with a contribution. Never mind, it was only twenty minutes of my life wasted ... I can deal with that. :D

Last edited:
As long as the procedure goes as it should, there shouldn't be ant negative effects, so not really a complete waste of time! Besides, other issues which may not have been acknowledged by any of the companies may have been addressed so there could be hidden benefits!

Unless I have got this wrong I don't think that it is possible to get a firmware update unless your camera has the previous version installed. If that is the case it would probably be best to take updates as they appear (by all means delay taking the update in case there are bugs that need addressing) soas not to be faced with a backlog.

Unless I have got this wrong I don't think that it is possible to get a firmware update unless your camera has the previous version installed. If that is the case it would probably be best to take updates as they appear (by all means delay taking the update in case there are bugs that need addressing) soas not to be faced with a backlog.

That's not what I thought, my impression was that the memory is simply flashed with the new one - it doesn't matter what was on there before.

if its nikon be very careful or you find third party products dont work anymore ...batteries ..grips ..lenses ...if it works for you dont do it .

Back