First Attempt at a Wedding

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Feedback mucho appricado!

Not been on in a while hope everyone is well!

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9624.jpg

I am posting from a mobile but not bad on the whole but they need contrast for me and the 1st image makes her look huge because of the lens and shooting angle.... More care for flattery needed to make the brides feel beautiful when they look at their images.

why all B&W?

The main problem I see is the posing of the people.

Pic 2 is not well posed at all, they are all bunched up, both bridesmaids are doing the head tilt thing to get in the frame and even the bride is ducking her head to make sure she doesn't get her head cropped off.

I agree, they need more contrast too.

Have you tried them in colour? I think they would look much better.

Sorry to only have negatives for you but it is a wedding so I feel it's best to be honest.

Expressions on the bride suggests you weren't communicating with her in the best way.

There are three different monochrome styles in the pics you've posted, is that the style the B&G hoped for? And yes a bit more contrast needed.

Agree with above comments.

Comments sound negative, I apologise, I'm not greeeat at this critiquing thing at this time of night, :beer: ;) but all is IMHO, and hopefully will at least give you some food for thought. (y)

Overall they arent bad for a first attempt (I'm assuming you werent being paid and these were for freinds or family)

#1 shes a pretty enough girl , but the pose is awkward and the background sucks - you also seem to have some issues with whites over exposing (this is true of the full set - it looks to me like you lit it with direct flash - next time try bouncing it off the ceiling , or use a diffuser

#2 again with the overexposed whites with loss of detail , and also the background issuer - the bride has a door frame growing out of her head

#3 it was a good idea and you've done well not to get yourself in shot n- hopwever i'd suggest a fairly radical crop to square removing much of the oof brides back, and the burnt white arround the wall light

#4 yet again with the whites and the lost detail in the dress - also the grooms button hole has gone wonky - dont be afraid to put things like that right when posing shots

#5 the brides expression leaves a lot to be desired here - it looks like she was speaking when the shot was taken - also a bit more care with backgrounds would have avoided the blown out transit van at top right - personally i think i'd have posed them against the shrubbery you can see on the left hand side

#6 The ring shot works okay - but i'd suggest a much tighter crop to eliminate some of the bright dead space

#7 the cake figurines is another okay shot - although it ideally needed more dof to keep the groom figurine sharp - i'd also suggest a crop to portrait to remove the unnecessary and distracting background at the left hand side

and #8 I can see what you were going for but it hasnt really worked as there are too many different elements an no one central point to draw the eye - maybe a macro shot of just the bouquet would have been better.

Over all as i said not a bad first attempt , but things to concentrate on improving going forward are

a) Posing and backgrounds - on the posing side it is critical that the couple are comfortable with you and that you are happy giving clear direction - wedding photography is as much about people skills as taking the shots - and poses should look natural and easy not posed or false

Backgrounds need to be neutral and free of distracting elements - easier said than done I know - but that is why a pre recce of the venue etc is ideal

b) exposure - my suspicion here is that the culprits are either direct flash (next time difuse or bounce it as discussed earlier) and/or the post processing to create the B&W - its important to check the histogram and make sure you arent clipping the right hand side.

HTH

No they were just done for a friend. Thanks for the advice guys. All of it has been taken on board, and will be worked on.

In reguards to the flash it was being bounced off the ceiling, so must be the way i have processed the shots.

Its nice to get the critque as everyone from the day said the shots were lovely, I my self knew there was a lot of room for improvement!

Cheers.

Kevin

Back