First attempt at automotive photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Just recently bought a new car (2006 Audi S6 Avant), and wanted to take a few pictures of it to show some people on a car forum. Thought I'd get a more photography-oriented opinion though by posting them on here. Please forgive the mud on the car ... the weather's been rubbish lately! Will get some cleaner pictures on soon ;)

Would welcome suggestions on composition, and also any general tips on automotive photography I may not have come across before.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The perennial scourge of the automotive photographer :bang: but looking past that overall I think that you've done a really nice job and I love that last one (y) it's minor details to looks out for such as I'd have loved to have seen the steering wheel nice and level (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Before I got down to Matt's post, my first thought was about the steering wheel :LOL: I reckon it should either be spot on level or decisively offset, like it's meant to be turned.

There is something not quite right about the DoF in the first one. Not sure if it needs to be longer or shorter though! That rear wheel area either needs better definition or more positively OOF. Not sure which would look better.

Again, the composition of the last one appeals most to me.

Nice motor BTW (y)

Thanks guys ... that's some really good advice there. Will bear that in mind when I next do a car-shoot :D

congrats on the new purchase! Always have had a soft spot for these!

great set, really like number 5 and 6!

nice car and good looking shots, advice i was given about cars was to try and have the car facing into the picture if that makes sense? as in when u have the car on the right hand side face it towards the left. also a circular polarising filter to try and limit reflections. i found it handy to look at a lot of professional pictures and make notes/thumbnail images of the car angles etc that work or that i personally like.

nice car and good looking shots, advice i was given about cars was to try and have the car facing into the picture if that makes sense? as in when u have the car on the right hand side face it towards the left. also a circular polarising filter to try and limit reflections. i found it handy to look at a lot of professional pictures and make notes/thumbnail images of the car angles etc that work or that i personally like.

Thanks ... that's a good idea. Good way of teaching myself by doing the things that I like!!

Nice work for first attempt. One thing that is kind of disturbing, the lens distortion.

Stephane

Back