First attempt at flower macros

• Thread starter Deleted member 49549
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49549

Hi all,

had some flowers in the house today, so cracked out my macro and had a play. DOF is a real problem, finding a composition with so much out of focus areas is a challenge for me, and focusing and lighting is always a challenge!

D300s-_DSC8810-framed.jpg

D300s-_DSC8833-framed.jpg

D300s-_DSC8846-framed.jpg

Number 3!! All excellent.. for a first try you are ready to knock the socks off people :O
I was expecting some shocking pics, blurry, or far away..
You've hit the spot.
Keep on using solid backgrounds to draw attention to detail, and your chosen angles.. You got it right already ;)

Number 3!! All excellent.. for a first try you are ready to knock the socks off people :O
I was expecting some shocking pics, blurry, or far away..
You've hit the spot.
Keep on using solid backgrounds to draw attention to detail, and your chosen angles.. You got it right already ;)

well a lot were mis-focussed, shaky, or poorly lit!!!

i took over 200 pictures, and these were the picks. i used off camera flash initially, but then tried light painting with a torch, and found the control of lighting levels / angles much easier. Need to get a couple of light stands and modifiers, hopfuly that will allow much more control over the lighting.

Thanks all!

i'm not a pro in this but perhaps you can shoot them at different focal area and stack them together?

http://www.perfectphotoblog.com/how...cs5-jewelry-photography-post-production/2210/

Hi Shamus,

i've tried focus stacking once before with not good results. My problem was getting the focus steps right between shots, the sigma 105 lens barely needs to be touched at 1:1 distances to change focus. It has less than 4mm depth of field, and moving the focus in increments lees than 4mm is a challenge!

A rail would help though.

Nice set, first and third for me, comp and lighting are better. The second shot feels a bit stranded in the middle of nowhere (maybe a squarer crop would suit it better?), but I think the frames distract from the images (just my opinion though!!)

Tara

Lovely set. Third one really stands out for me. Love the red against black.

Back