First attempt at food photography...

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
My girlfriend is doing a 3 month fundraiser to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK (Story about it is here: www.justgiving.com/thebigbakechallenge) and today had her first event.

Very quickly did some photos of some buns she's baked so thought I'd share. Don't have studio lights or anything, but I'm happy with how these turned out. Tried to capture the nature of the bake.

1)

Cupcakes
by GarySOYO, on Flickr

2)

Cupcakes
by GarySOYO, on Flickr

3)

Cupcakes
by GarySOYO, on Flickr

4)

Caramel Shortbread
by GarySOYO, on Flickr

5)

Caramel Shortbread
by GarySOYO, on Flickr

Comments welcome - prefer constructive criticism rather than just criticism.

Cheers

Gaz

Good start Gaz,(y)

#1 and #2.... are cropped a bit too tight for me, better to have the whole bun in at the bottom, and the cloth that you have used under the buns isn't great as I am sure you know, I do like the way that you have arranged the buns.
#3.... i like but the bun case at the back is a bit dark and doesn't show
#4 and#5 .... I am sure they taste good but are just a tad messy

this is a personal opinion and I am sure others will have other views, but well done for a first try :clap::clap:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

1 & 2 I understand what you mean with this, however I ran out of table... lol it's wall behind that. I'm hoping I can concentrate a little more on doing these. I wish now I'd got these more central now too

3 - I was trying to focus more on the top part, I may try and get these to be a little more exposed in the PS file.

4 & 5 - I suppose it's down to opinion, I quite like the messy, in fact it's what I was going for, just because it's all home made. Should have seen the kitchen an hour ago!

Thanks again for the feedback always trying to learn!

Gaz

Last edited:
The lighting is hard, directional and not very flattering. There are hard shadows giving the whole scene a very sterile feel. There's also white balance issues with a great deal of yellow to the overall colour. Was that plate white?

Why not use natural daylight from a window and a reflector to bounce light back into the shadows? Results would have been softer light, easier white balance, and a more attractive feel to the overall image.

The black table cloth is not helping I feel. The overall darkness of the image is not really matching the subject and the patterning of it is a distraction. The cupcakes are light, fun, cheerful, yet that table cloth is sombre, dark, serious. Try to use something that enhances the "feel" of the shot. Why use lighter pastel colours for what they are sat upon and capture a more cheerful atmosphere?

The chocolate flapjack things look very messy... made worse by the very hard, sterile lighting. Softening everything down with diffused lighting would help here. The hard lighting has made the messy unattractive, whereas softer, more diffused lighting would have made is more appealing. You say you wanted the home baked, hand made feel by leaving them messy, but nothing else about these image re-enforces that "feel". They feel like police forensic evidence shots rather than inviting, soft and "home baked". Again, a lighter set, with attractive, lighter shades and hues.. soft natural light from a large window, and large white reflectors on the dark side of the set would bounce light back in lifting the shadows to reduce contrast.

Good photography needs good lighting. Good FOOD photography not only needs good lighting, but great sets that re-enforce the feel the food demands. Eating is not just something we do to refuel our bodies, it's a social event, and mood is very, very important.

This image uses colour well to enhance mood and feel, and it also appears to use very soft, diffused lighting. This is probably just diffused daylight, and if it's not, it could easily be recreated by using diffused daylight from a large window and a reflector.

Look how this shot uses the surrounding scene dropped out of focus to give context, meaning, atmosphere... makes it an attractive, domestic setting. Why not try this with your cupcakes... think of colour used, setting, context.... use colours more cleverly to make the viewer feel something about them. Look how the colour of the background in this shot compliments the cupcakes in this shot. Yet the shot is simply diffused daylight.. shallow depth of field... in fact, the only difference between this and yours, is the lighting used, and the colours, and the fact that it's in a "setting" to give it context that marches the intended "mood". It's not perfect... none of these images are... I've just pulled them from a Google image search, but they make the food look a LOT more attractive.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback.

I totally understand what you mean, with the lighting I made a choice to go with indoor rather than natural as the overall effect was a very blue and cold image. I do still like my set, however the examples you show do offer much better results so I'll take them on board and give it another go.

I don't have the lights, reflectors etc so did this with what I had.

Thanks again
Gaz

I totally understand what you mean, with the lighting I made a choice to go with indoor rather than natural

That's fine... but it's too hard, contrasty and directional. It's not working.

with the lighting I made a choice to go with indoor rather than natural as the overall effect was a very blue and cold image.

That's just down to white balance. You can set this to whatever you want to warm up, or cool down a shot if you use RAW. Placing a grey card in the first shot of the set will also allow you to white balance them all as a batch. There's no reason why "natural" lighting shouldn't be as warm, or cool as you like.

Daylight really will give you better results if you don't have decent studio lighting you can control.

With daylight, you don't need any lights... and reflectors can be anything. Go get a few sheets of A1 white card... that will do.

Last edited:
Food tends to look best when naturally lit under diffused light.
Crops are very tight and not sure about the angles, there tends to be 3 good angles with food - overhead, 45 towards the plate and level onto it - each one has it purpose. ;)

Keep at it ;)

Back