Critique First Attempt at Food

The first is the best of the three. You've placed it in shadow which helps control the bright sunlight although I would crop slightly to remove the patch of light in the top left (or better yet, compose for this so the light is more even throughout the frame). Maybe a small reflector to bounce light at the front would help to pick out detail and texture on the salmon (which ideally should look a bit shiny). I think you could have gone for a slightly lower angle also.

The bagel on the second is wonky and I think this could have worked if it was placed more at an angle (maybe propped up against the side revealing the contents) emphasising this. As it is it looks like this hasn't been considered and just shot "as it came."

The third is partially in light and partially in shadow. One or the other would work but it looks particularly sunny (casting some harsh highlights and shadow) so the softer indirect light works best for me, as in the first one.

I think it's good you have taken the subject off centre although this isn't always necessary (particularly with food/product shots). I can only make our salmon as the contents of the bagel. Maybe some additional layer of salad or perhaps a thicker layer of cream cheese would make it more interesting to look at as well as to eat; although that doesn't help my New Year diet....

Last edited:
The first is the best of the three. You've placed it in shadow which helps control the bright sunlight although I would crop slightly to remove the patch of light in the top left (or better yet, compose for this so the light is more even throughout the frame). Maybe a small reflector to bounce light at the front would help to pick out detail and texture on the salmon (which ideally should look a bit shiny). I think you could have gone for a slightly lower angle also.

The bagel on the second is wonky and I think this could have worked if it was placed more at an angle (maybe propped up against the side revealing the contents) emphasising this. As it is it looks like this hasn't been considered and just shot "as it came."

The third is partially in light and partially in shadow. One or the other would work but it looks particularly sunny (casting some harsh highlights and shadow) so the softer indirect light works best for me, as in the first one.

I think it's good you have taken the subject off centre although this isn't always necessary (particularly with food/product shots). I can only make our salmon as the contents of the bagel. Maybe some additional layer of salad or perhaps a thicker layer of cream cheese would make it more interesting to look at as well as to eat; although that doesn't help my New Year diet....

:agree: Timmy has got it near enough spot on. To make food shots look really appetizing etc can take quite a bit of practice so just keep at it. Good first attempt though.(y)

George.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I agree an extra colour or layer would have made this look a lot more appetizing like a nice green of salad leaves or something similar.

Can anybody recommend and food photographers I could maybe research? I'll have a browse on Google for some later on if not.

I don't know about being resident product photographer Liam,;) I just earn a considerable amount of my income from product/catalogue and sometimes food photography.

But I'd certainly be happy to help you in any way that I can. Also if you click on the links that Timmy has listed you'll certainly see the work of some very fine food photography.

George

Back