First attempt at Motosports

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys and girls,

I'm sure you had enough of RWS this weekend but I also want to share my some of my photos for C&C.
This was my first proper go at motorsports and I hope some you can share your thoughts about my pics. I found Silverstone to be a little bit difficult to find a good spot so you don't have a fence infront of you. I tried shooting through the fence but my lenses were not coping well, all the pics had bits of the fence.
So, I took most of the shoots from one of the stands (can't remember the name) but it was a great location.

All photos were taken with quite a basic kit, Canon EOS 500D with 50 - 250 E-FS

So, please feel free to share your C&C.
Thanks

6071046652_21c11f773d_b.jpg

1/80 Shutter speed

6071055174_1eb461eb13_b.jpg

1/80 Shutter speed

6071060446_b88109a4cf_b.jpg

1/80 Shutter speed

6070527051_56584a934a_b.jpg

1/400 Shutter speed

6071080134_48ca91ecd9_b.jpg

1/320 Shutter speed, shot through the fence.

6071120036_813d0e3009_b.jpg

1/80 Shutter speed

They look awesome especially for first time. I still need to try this at a race track and I'm excited as I have the same kit apart from 1000d as opposed to 500d. If I get results like this I'm laughing

Thanks guys. Appreciate your comments.

Is there anything I can improve on shooting motorsport with my current kit? Any tips from more experienced motorsport photographers?

Thanks

Last edited:
1,2,3 and 6 are bloomin' good pans. 3 could be marginally improved by cropping a little less space behind the cars and more in front (so they don't crash into the side of the frame) - but that's a minor consideration as it's double car pan.

4 & 5 are a little distant and the cars get a bit lost.

But cracking first go all the same!

1,2,3 and 6 are bloomin' good pans. 3 could be marginally improved by cropping a little less space behind the cars and more in front (so they don't crash into the side of the frame) - but that's a minor consideration as it's double car pan.

4 & 5 are a little distant and the cars get a bit lost.

But cracking first go all the same!

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad that you like my photos, as for first time I think I managed to capture some good moments.

With 4&5 I tried to give some different view of the race, not just full frame cars. I have seen a lot of similar distant shot on other motorsport web sites like formula1.com. I'm still quite new in shooting motorsport, but this is an aren which is of a great interest to me. The thing I'm struggling with is what is the accepted standard when shooting motorsport events. For example if you look at the F1 web site you will find all sorts of photos published, some bad panning, distant shots of the cars, no motion blur shots (when wheels are visible), etc.
So I'm wondering are there any specific rules which all motorsport photographers are following?

I will upload more pics later for C&C.

Thanks

Thanks for the pics Barks!! Can't wait to get out to a motorsport event now.

Great work for your first attempt, the corners you were at look like Luffield and inside/outside copse... some of the best places to shoot from stand wise... also between club & vale stands next time your there.

Technique wise your all good, just composition experimentation and/or a massive lens upgrade will give you different examples. I can only offer advice that I rarely take myself, move around a lot so u dont end up with a catalogue of the same image.

for some creative inspiration try Darren Heath (aim very high)
http://www.darrenheath.com/season/2011/great-britain-2011/image-gallery

Great work again, good luck :)

These look good to me (not an expert :) I was originally looking for a 500D but advised that a 40D might be better. If i cant find one at the right price i might reconsider the 500D.

Back