First attempt at Track and Field

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Got lucky and managed to gain access to the Scottish Athletics event at the weekend. So much going on it was hard to know what to cover but I learned loads on the day and probably would reconsider my lens choices next time as the 400mm was too long to capture the finish line in the space available. Long Jump was my favourite event to shoot but again it was tricky as I wanted to shoot low but the pit then fell out of site as it was below the grass and the area to shoot the athletes head on was restricted so it was a wider field of view than I wanted.
_A929811 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_5598 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_4195 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A920659 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A929982 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Super job! Interesting to hear your thoughts re lens choice. I've always found 200mm to be limiting at athletics - I guess it's very venue sensitive!

Great shots though!
This is the only venue I have shot so no reference other than this one. There were covers at the end of the track used for covering the pole vault mats and they made the 400mm just too long for landscape shaped images as they crossed the line. The long jump had the podium not far away so I shot with the 70/200 but if I went low I couldn't see the sand so had to get closer to the pit. Rare you get the perfect set up in sport and I'm pleased with my efforts given my inexperience

Super job! Interesting to hear your thoughts re lens choice. I've always found 200mm to be limiting at athletics - I guess it's very venue sensitive!

Great shots though!

200mm is my optimum running distance...

I wouldn't want to be the girl who beat #34!

Beware of Flickr's oversharpening of uploaded files - it adds haloes. I usually resize to the final required size before uploading to there to avoid their additional processing.

Other than that, great set.

Well done Simon, I'm happy for you :D and they all look good to me with their own interesting points.

200mm is my optimum running distance...

I wouldn't want to be the girl who beat #34!

Beware of Flickr's oversharpening of uploaded files - it adds haloes. I usually resize to the final required size before uploading to there to avoid their additional processing.

Other than that, great set.
Flickr can be a bit keen with the sharpening. I used 200mm or thereabouts most over the day.

Used to use a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 trombone zoom a few many(!) years ago. Even back then, 200mm was pretty much my running limit!!! (Built for comfort, not speed!!!)

Back