Beginner First Attempt in home made studio

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
My first attempt at doing a protrait shot of me and the wife, i am very new to photography and this was taken in my home made studio. Critique is always welcome as i would like to improve and get better. Image resized and loaded to photobucket so some definition has been lost from the original but you get the idea:ty:

IMG_0109_zpsa9b1e865.jpg

Hi Mike,

Self shoots are always tricky...you probably could have done with another light in front of you to give a bit of fill to the shadows in the faces. Not a fan of the pose - chopped off fingers & the way you are holding her gives it a very confined feel to your lady so I'd definitely be playing about with this. Not sure of what the nakedness adds to the shot - I'd be popping shirts on and making it a nice mantelpiece shot instead.

PPwise, it's a bit too cool and I'd work on the curtain to increase the blacks (just to the BG) in order to make that a pure black background instead of an easily identifiable curtain.

What I do like is your expression - very genuine emotion behind that smile.

Sorry it's not more positive this time round from me :(

Last edited:
Thanks Phil would not disagree with any of the comments on this picture but just to say the nakedness was sort of what i was looking for to show my tattoo etc.

Heres another from the same set as i said primarily to get the tattoos but also try out a few things learnt from this forum;)

IMG_0153_zpse1e93753.jpg

Hi Mike
Good efforts - its not easy doing selfies!

#1 - its to dark to me, far to dark - re-visit your light set up, maybe just use some classic sets as available on any internet search.
You look in focus - but your wife isn't, her eyes and face are soft - revisit your aperture setting to give greater depth of field - or your shutter speed if its movement related.

#2 - bit of a portrait rule broken, side on profile of your wife's face really doesn't flatter the nose, ask her to try and turn towards the camera even more until the nose outline is covered by the left cheek.
To dark again for me.
Right idea to start with getting the tattoo photographed though.

- keep experimenting, its a great way to learn!

kind regards

Ian

Back