First CD you ever bought?

I slowly binned all mine over the years, some nostalgia I can live without.
(Besides its a thing of the past anyway :D )
It's not, it's making a comeback, more and more new albums are being sold on vinyl and a lot of old stuff is being reintroduced.

Can't be 100% sure, but I slowly replaced the vinyl with CD's after I bought my first player, I suspect that it was tubular bells as that was the one used to demo the system at the time.

I'm currently doing the reverse; replacing my CD collection (which is all ripped to FLAC and physical discs stored away) with the vinyl versions, where possible. There's just something about the sound coming from vinyl that's 'better' than digital.

First CD was Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall not sure which was first. Still got all the vinyl and just like @nilagin it hasn't seen the light of day for 20 years or more although the deck is still there ready to go if I feel the urge.

It's not, it's making a comeback, more and more new albums are being sold on vinyl .
I know that, I meant Nostalgia is a thing of the past :p

There's just something about the sound coming from vinyl that's 'better' than digital.
The background scratches and the bouncy needle sounds? :D
TBH that really is one retro fad that I can live without. I much prefer the pure sound of digital.

The background scratches and the bouncy needle sounds? :D
TBH that really is one retro fad that I can live without. I much prefer the pure sound of digital.

The majority of my vinyl collection is very, very clean, with very few pops and clicks.

I recently thoroughly washed everything using the Spin Clean, use good quality anti-static bags, use a carbon brush before playing, and a Onzow zero dust for getting any dirt off the needle.

CD's are just as susceptible to scratches and jumps as vinyl is. I've even had a few older cd's delaminate, discolour and become totally unplayable. I'm then left with a very basic, slippy tea coaster ;)

I'm then left with a very basic, slippy tea coaster ;)
Agreed, CD's don't make decent ashtrays or plant pot holders not like vinyl does :D

I still have all my vinyl and a record deck. Don't play it often. Now and then it's nice to have an afternoon of snap crackle and pop :)

I've had one cd go funny. They're all ripped into iTunes anyway and I don't seem to buy CDs much although I did by a best of Ian dury today...

I think it was Kerbdog's first album "On the Turn". I can remember vividly buying my first cd player with my brother as he had just got a job and was loaded, so he spent his first £30 wage packet on a portable cd player!
The first CD he bought I believe was Silverchair's "Freakshow"

I remember my first cassette tape I actually bought myself was Entombed's "DCLXVI: To Ride Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth". I played the absolute crap out of that thing. I blew the speakers up on my parents cassette player the very first time I played it too. That wasnt much before we bought the cd player, so I bought the cd not long after too but the tape got played in the parents car and in my walkman daily.

On The Turn is Kerbdogs 2nd album matey; if that means you have never heard their debut album boy have you been missing out...

My first CD purchase were The Sunday's 'Reading Writing and Arithmetic' and Inspiral Carpets 'Life'

New Model Army - Vengeance bought on the same day I bought the CD player.

Curious, I've never spoken to anyone ( in passing) that didn't like it.

I hadn't either, until I met a young woman who related to me how that was playing on her boyfriend's stereo when she abandoned her virginity to him in a protracted and somewhat comical manner ...

On The Turn is Kerbdogs 2nd album matey; if that means you have never heard their debut album boy have you been missing out...

My first CD purchase were The Sunday's 'Reading Writing and Arithmetic' and Inspiral Carpets 'Life'

Yes my mistake. I have the first album too. I actually prefer on the turn, probably because it's th first one I heard, but the first is is by no means bad! Hoping they release some more stuff soon, the release a song a while back and did some gigs, but I want another album!! They actually played a gig in July just down the road from me, but I couldn't go.. Gutted.

I hadn't either, until I met a young woman who related to me how that was playing on her boyfriend's stereo when she abandoned her virginity to him in a protracted and somewhat comical manner .
:D I guess they may put you (her) off it :D

First CD player was a Philips CD104B and I think I would have been 17 when I bought it with the money from my summer job. It had a tray that seemed hewn from a steel ingot (actually probably an aluminum alloy, but compared to the plastic trays on almost everything else it was solid).

I bought five CDs from Our Price (remember them?) the same day, which were as I recall:

Queen - Greatest hits
Genesis - Genesis
Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea, Tangram and Force Majeure

The following weekend I spent my money on more CDs, from Iron Maiden and Marillion.

Chaps don't worry about giving us the exact details of your first CD player. Just stick to actual CD.

Texas-Southside

Because I heard it in the HiFi shop when I resolved to buy my first CD player, which I believe was a Pioneer that I bought with my Pioneer reference amp.

Mine was Bruce Spingsteen's Greatest Hits - what a cool 10 year old I was :(
Springsteen_greatest-hits.jpg

First album....
Seahorses - Do It Yourself

From asda next to donny dome, couple weeks pocket money saved up.

But before that I'd bought the single....
Shamen - Eberneezer Goode

which I then swapped at school for another single but can't recall what that was though. No doubt some other rubbish!

First 2 CDs (bought together) were U2's Achtung Baby and Crowded House's Woodface.

First cassette I bought was Crowded House's debut album.

Never bought any vinyl.

First 2 CDs (bought together) were U2's Achtung Baby and Crowded House's Woodface.

First cassette I bought was Crowded House's debut album.

Never bought any vinyl.

I only ever bought Vinyl. loved playing them on my Hi Fi with earphones. I bought Cassettes reluctantly, I never bothered with CDs

vinyl is a bugger to listen to in the car though ;)

Can't really remember. I do recall buying the CD player, locking it in the boot of the car and going back into the mall to get a couple of CDs. It may have been Bridge Over Troubled Water and a Jethro Tull or Steeleye Span disc.

We gave my son and his wife our hifi system and all the discs a few years ago, when we realised that both of us had completely lost interest in music. It's never come back.
Sad. I couldn't imagine a life without music

Me: Genesis - Genesis.

Still like it now so a pretty good choice I reckon.

How many Brothers In Arms answers will we get?
You got it.
All my vinyl "inherited" by my son.

Last edited:
When I got a Sony Hi Fi with a built-in CD player in 1995, my first CD was Trans Harmonic Nights by Peter Baumann (former Tangerine Dream keyboardist). However, my 400-strong vinyl collection had happily co-existed with my growing CD collection and this set up still exist to this day. Although the Sony Hi Fi stopped working about five years ago but managed to get hold of a replacement one (Sharp). Have got rid of all my cassettes (bar three which I consider them to be music rarities).
I've only ever downloaded just the one digital album and that got lost as the host player got knackered (dropped it while I was at work).

How many Brothers In Arms answers will we get?[/QUOTE]

Nearly but not quite: My first was Love over Gold.
From what I remember I spent a fortune on a Sony CD player and could only afford this CD and (I think) an Eagles album.

Back