First day out with the 100 LIS

Edit My Images
No
With the non I.S. I often used a monopod but to try out the I.S. version today I decided to hand hold. The light was generally poor but I certainly got more keepers than I would have with the non I.S.
All shots 7D, AI Servo, Auto ISO, hand held and ambient light. I was pleased how well the 7D handled the highish ISO,s particularly the Cinnabar at ISO 3200

Scorpion fly ISO 800
scorpion1.jpg

The Cinnabar ISO 3200
TheCinnabar1.jpg

Lackey Moth Catterpillar ISO 2000
Lackeymothcat1.jpg

Last edited:
stunning set... well done....

Stunning set, just shows what you can do with a hand held camera.Throw away the monopod or use it as a walking stick !

I love the set- and never shot above ISO 400 myself :clap:

Les (y)

Excellent results on your first outing with the L IS, Roy. It's a superb lens aint it!

stunning set... well done....

cracking set..mark.

Very nice Roy,

John.

Stunning set, just shows what you can do with a hand held camera.Throw away the monopod or use it as a walking stick !

Great pictures

I love the set- and never shot above ISO 400 myself :clap:

Les (y)

Lovely set Roy especially considering hand held and the ISO.

Dai

Cracking set Roy.

Thank you for commenting guys (y)

excellent stuff
very nice

Out of curiosity - what shutter speed were you shooting at?

Nice series of images btw.

Ian.

Ian.
Nothing too slow Ian, I was using auto ISO on the 7D which always gives about focal length plus a bit. The first two were 1/125 and the last one was 1/160. I am sure you could go a lot lower than this though - at near 1:1 I reckon it gives about a 2 stop I.S. which is in line with Canon's claim.

That's still quite sharply impressive for those shutter speeds... (Obviously benchmarking against my own shaky hands here :))

Nice lens.

Ian.

Nice shots Roy and I'm impressed with the lack of noise at such ISO settings. My fav is the Cinnabar.

Some lovely stuff there Roy, I just got the 100 F2.8L IS this morning but it's bloody pouring down in Suffolk right now. Cannot wait to get out in the field and take some shots with it.
You won't regret the lens Matty if you like hand holding. Compared with the non I.S. IQ is slightly better IMO with nicer colours and contrast but not by a lot - it is the I.S. that really makes the difference. I have only taken about 500 shots with the lens but my keeper rate has increased considerably.

awesome Roy looks like you got a very nice new toy there.

excellent stuff
very nice

Ian.

Nice shots Roy and I'm impressed with the lack of noise at such ISO settings. My fav is the Cinnabar.

Some lovely stuff there Roy, I just got the 100 F2.8L IS this morning but it's bloody pouring down in Suffolk right now. Cannot wait to get out in the field and take some shots with it.

I'm going to buy my one in about 30mins can't wait.
Thanks for looking guys (y)

Great set of pics Roy. Its certainly a great lens to have - I recently upgraded to one and have been very pleased with it.

Linda

Three lovely images Roy, i love the composition and detail in the Scorpion fly, i would say these are as good as they get.

Lovely set of images, very sharp and detail is superb.

Back