First ever baby photo... eep!

DRZ

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Not mine thankfully *wipes brow* but my cousins. I was at a family BBQ and I took my camera along just in case. After many "whats in the bag" type questions I got it out and immediately babies and small children were thrust in front of me by their mothers. Crazy! :wacky:

Anyway, I agreed to take a couple of shots for my cousin because I know them well and the baby was actually behaving and not screaming / puking / pooping nearby!

Anyways, I have never taken a baby photo before so before I give it to the oh-so-loving parent I thought I would get the TP seal of approval :p

CRW_8617tp.jpg

Whaddya think? :shrug:

A lovely shot, which I am sure the pareant will be chuffed with.

Have you tried it in B&W?

Spot on great capture, I'm sure they will love it.

lee said:
A lovely shot, which I am sure the pareant will be chuffed with.

Have you tried it in B&W?
I was going to suggest B&W but surely not with that lovely ginger hair.

You've captured a great expression there and the shot looks tack sharp. It's a shame about the oof light shade? ..in the background - generally speaking it's best to look for as plain a background as possible for these shots and portrait shots generally. The pic looks a bit strange in places, as though you've run noise reduction software on it?

I'd crop the pic tight behind the head on the right, but it's a cracking shot and I'm sure the parents will love it. :)

CT said:
You've captured a great expression there and the shot looks tack sharp. It's a shame about the oof light shade? ..in the background - generally speaking it's best to look for as plain a background as possible for these shots and portrait shots generally. The pic looks a bit strange in places, as though you've run noise reduction software on it?

I'd crop the pic tight behind the head on the right, but it's a cracking shot and I'm sure the parents will love it. :)

I ran it through a very very gently noiseware pass and it didnt seem to change much other than lose some of the slight noise. His skin was really smooth/soft to start with.

As I am sure you know, baby shots arent at all easy, they change expression so fast and move around a great deal. How do you order a baby about? :bang:

The BG could have been better yes, unfortunately I am absolutely rubbish at that side of photoshop. I think that going on what has been said so far by people that have seen it (outside of these here forums) "it will do" but from a photography perspective it needs work.

Good-o :)

EDIT:

Yes Ally, I bounced the flash - It doesnt half produce some lovely shots :)

i think its very good for sticking in a frame, as CT says, crop it a bit, and next time you know to be a bit more aware of the background. OVerall very good!

As you said, we agonise over details but with a shot like this the parents are bound to love it however you process it :)

I can see the noise work but it probably looks worse at web sizes than a large print. Agree about the crop too.

what a yummy little man! I've got two blondes and two redheads lol....a lovely angle and good colours too :)

Lovely expression, well captured. I do find the noise reduction a tad intense, seems to lose something. Still a good shot though.

It won't be last time you are asked after this!

One trick with the background as bluring a fussy one too much so it looks artificial is to select it and de-saturate it quite a lot, but not to full monochrome. This draws the attention to the subject and away from clutter in the background. In this case the expression of the baby does that anyway and I think some of the lads above, although for a true portrait are correct - just wish thy had taken it!

awwww. he's adorable. :)

thought I Should say no issues with the ginger, but thought it might look good in B&W because of the background, thought it might be less distracting.

But it is a great shot and I would have loved to have taken it.

Back