First ever bird pics.

I like #1, it is a nice shot,well done.

#1 captures the moment well Ollie (y)
#2 the bird is too central in the frame - you need to crop some off the right hand side so that the bird has more space to look in to than it has behind it (one of the golden rules of bird photography).

Good start.

Welocome to the world of bird photography, both shots look as though they may be a bit front focused to me as the birds are a little soft compared to the sharper foreground just in front of them. Perhaps you need to do a bit of lens checking.

artyman said:
Welocome to the world of bird photography, both shots look as though they may be a bit front focused to me as the birds are a little soft compared to the sharper foreground just in front of them. Perhaps you need to do a bit of lens checking.

Apologies for sounding thick but what is "front focused?"

Also I am unsure what you mean by lens checking??

Two nice shots.
I agree with Ken on the focusing.
No1 Good low angle - like the grass and the curious pose.
No2 try cropping 20% off the right and bottom and see what you think.
Also try taking the brightness down and contrast up a touch.
Just some ideas.

Stuart

Front focused means your focus point is just infront of the bird not smack on it, thats how the grass at the front looks sharper than the bird,

Portraits can sometimes be deliberatley shot in front focus, this would give the subject a very slight soft lens look.. good for helping with small imperfections and harshness of wrinkles etc.

What focal point do you use.. dynamic / single point ?? that may have something to do with it. Single point is one of my fav's, but you do run the risk of only getting part of your subject sharp depending on the situation.

You then also have focal point placement in your viewfinder, could have been your focal point was set to bottom without you realising... maybe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys - I will try and implement your advice in my next shots. Regarding the focal point, dynamic is where more points are selected and single point is just one??

#1 captures the moment well Ollie (y)
#2 the bird is too central in the frame - you need to crop some off the right hand side so that the bird has more space to look in to than it has behind it (one of the golden rules of bird photography).

Good start.

Totally agree with Roy (y)

Well done and keep at it

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the info guys - I will try and implement your advice in my next shots. Regarding the focal point, dynamic is where more points are selected and single point is just one??

Correct (y)

Back