first ever studio session

ChrisGaskin

Getting itchy
Name
Christopher
Edit My Images
No
with a model named Hazel, as part of my camera clubs portraits group, she was very plesant and very good considering most of us had never shot studio before.

Here is my best two both in colour and mono

your thoughts please :eek:)

Last edited:
The lighting is possibly a little flat also a hair light from behind would make the face stand out more. Bring the model away from the backdrop and you will then get rid of the shadow. I think you cold possibly get a bit more contrast without blowing out the highlights.

Technically not perfect but pretty good for a first attempt.

The grey background doesnt do it for me, very drab looking. The hot spot on her head is also slightly distracting.

Ive been looking at these for a while trying to analys whats not clicking but I just cant quite put my finger on it.

To be honest I think its alot to do with the poses and the models expression, she just looks bored out her mind.

I dont like the pose with the head over so far

but I think more of the problem is in the processing. The colours look washed out to me. I just saved the first one and had a play:

sharpness - already spot on
saturation - upped it a bit, brought out some skin colour, especially on the arms
contrast - nudged up slightly
brightness - nudged down a tadge

and suddenly the image went pop:

4056338529_387dfb6eb7-wookied.jpg

well it looked better on my monitor, its not calibrated but judging by other photos on the forum here I reckon it can't be far off.

The grey background doesnt do it for me, very drab looking.

it was all set up before we arrived, with a grey card roll.

To be honest I think its alot to do with the poses and the models expression, she just looks bored out her mind

i didnt quite get the exxpressions, she was all bubbly and smily but as soon as you put the camera to your eye it was the same look....

The lighting is possibly a little flat also a hair light from behind would make the face stand out more. Bring the model away from the backdrop and you will then get rid of the shadow. I think you cold possibly get a bit more contrast without blowing out the highlights.

it was a small softbox set to the right of the camera (high) and a low large softbox, camera left set a couple of stops lower just to give some detail in the shadow (again all set up before hand) no one really moved the lights around as ther was 8 of us togs and was an upto 8 frames each then a new
pose idea and all over again etc

i have my own light rig as well so im gonna try again on my own sometime and then i can have more freedom to try different things

Back