First few tries with fractalius filter

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Thought I'd get hold of the fractalius plug-in as I'd seen some great conversions of some images using the filter by a fella from my photography club. So, here are a few I've converted which I think work to some extent (I've done a few more, but sometimes the filter just doesn't do it). Probably a real marmite thing - love it or hate it - but the swan has just won me a gold in our latest monthly comp, so at least one person, the judge, likes it! Oh, and I do too!

Anyway, comments appreciated as ever, and thanks for looking.

No. 1

Altered Elegance by rusticalex, on Flickr

No. 2

Blowing Out by rusticalex, on Flickr

No. 3

My Cat Distorted by rusticalex, on Flickr

No. 4

Fractalius Birds In The Mist by rusticalex, on Flickr

No. 5

St Davids Cathedral by rusticalex, on Flickr

I love the first one, could you explain how this is done please?

Fab, thought I'd somehow got an acid tab in my soup for a moment. Would also like to learn how you did this please :)

I'd be tempted to invert no 4 so its white on black rather than black on white.

I'm not a fan of fractuals but 4 is really nice.

Although i have the plug in and tried it out a few months ago, the jury is still out on whether i like it or not , but saying that I do like your competition winner well done.

I'm not a massive fan of the effect used on recognisable objects such as the swan and cat (can't fault the execution though), but I do really like the abstract-y ones. If I'd taken them, I'd probably have number 2 put up on my wall (y)

I love the first one, could you explain how this is done please?

Fab, thought I'd somehow got an acid tab in my soup for a moment. Would also like to learn how you did this please :)

Simple enough - I bought the Fractalius filter from these guys - http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterFractalius.htm - for about £30, and then started playing with it. It is a plug-in, so you need Photoshop in some form to plug it into. It is a funny one as I find you can't tell if it will enhance an image until you actually do it. It works well with whites though, and I love the way photo 2 came out - being able to see inside his head is really quite surreal!

Thanks for the compliments.

Alex

I like the cat the most - great use of Fractalius. By the way, this plug-in works with most image processors that accept 8BF programs. Redfield do other interesting plug-ins that could appeal for similar effects.

I enjoy using fractilus, not only as an end result itself but also as low opacity in some other images, I have used it a couple of times in the "serious" editing thread as it can put detail in areas where there is none or just use it in part of an image.

I really like the results with the swan and cat, maybe I should pay with it more as an end result in itself :D

Hi, loving the photos but can you post the original photo of the 2nd photo please. Can't see it

After seeing your images I looked into it and used one of my photos form longleat and this is how it came out.

tiger by A-jai07, on Flickr

Nice one, Ajai. For whatever reason Fractalius seems to work wonders on cat shots.

After seeing your images I looked into it and used one of my photos form longleat and this is how it came out.

tiger by A-jai07, on Flickr

Nice one, Ajai. For whatever reason Fractalius seems to work wonders on cat shots.

Good one Ajai. As j9ksf says, the filter works well on cats. Fur, feathers and white hair seem to generally respond well to the treatment.

Works on dogs too. Here's Molly our Shih Tzu

8265784574_06da6f9bff_b.jpg
[/url] Radioactive-Molly by AidanPlace, on Flickr[/IMG]

Aidan

i dont like marmite ,, but i like these

quality, and different ,,, have enjoyed looking at all of these ,, something different to try

seems filter wont work in 64 bit

Last edited:
I had a play a couple of years ago but must give it another go....

4728295777_6bd611960d_z.jpg

4728941762_d573b4763e_z.jpg

I much prefer this than any Fractalius its just carp, in some it looks OK when used sparingly

Yes Dave, some people just don't like it, true to say. We had our camera club's Xmas do last night, and part of it was a light hearted triptych competition. I didn't have time to come up with much, but entered the below triptych for a bit of fun. I didn't win, understandably, but I know that some people really liked it, and some couldn't stand it! As I said in my first post, a real love it or hate it effect!

Fractalius Cacti Traffic Light Triptych by rusticalex, on Flickr

Yes Dave, some people just don't like it, true to say.

Im not saying its total carp if used right it can work, but for me it takes it from a photograph and turns it into an art image, theres no right or wrong but they are different, if I showed those at my camera club theyd say urm wrong club

Im not saying its total carp if used right it can work, but for me it takes it from a photograph and turns it into an art image, theres no right or wrong but they are different, if I showed those at my camera club theyd say urm wrong club

This IS the Creative section after all, Dave.

I think that prompts an interesting debate, one which I quite often have at my camera club. We have people who produce incredible images through using all sorts of filters and other special effects, but when they show you the original image, out of camera, it is, as you say, "carp"! So, they have taken their image and gone into the realm of digital art. I've done this myself now a couple of times and done well in club comps (two golds), but the purist can easily argue that they have no place in a photographic competition. However, many photographic competitions these days have "creative" sections, which only encourages all these special effects.

I can see both arguments, and don't feel too strongly either way, but I can understand why some people feel that these kinds of altered images have no place in photography. So Dave, are you saying that your camera club has no room for digital art?

I think that prompts an interesting debate, one which I quite often have at my camera club. We have people who produce incredible images through using all sorts of filters and other special effects, but when they show you the original image, out of camera, it is, as you say, "carp"! So, they have taken their image and gone into the realm of digital art. I've done this myself now a couple of times and done well in club comps (two golds), but the purist can easily argue that they have no place in a photographic competition. However, many photographic competitions these days have "creative" sections, which only encourages all these special effects.

I can see both arguments, and don't feel too strongly either way, but I can understand why some people feel that these kinds of altered images have no place in photography. So Dave, are you saying that your camera club has no room for digital art?

Alex im going to bed now, but some editing in photoshop or what ever, I think as normal, as I would have done the same in the darkroom, editing, multi exposure, (eek HDR with film) contrasts, boosts, dodge and burn, cropping, so for me anything I could do in a DR is OK

Applying these kind of digital creative filters takes it more into creative art photos

Last edited:
Tucker said:
But that's what this section is all about, Dave, 'Creative Photography'!

That doesn't mean that someone cannot say if they think they don't work I'll take proper look when not on my phone

Back