First few tries with fractalius filter

anyway we should start a new thread than rather talk about these subjects George, and spoil this thread, and you contriving revenge on anything I say, thats it Im out of this thread :wave: you said you would haunt me :bonk:

That doesn't mean that someone cannot say if they think they don't work I'll take proper look when not on my phone

Some are good but its digital art rather than true creative photography, its more creative art, if you use those type filters, Maybe we need a new section "Derived Creative Photographic Art "

Last edited:
Now being at my computer rather than phone I can say the first and the third are brilliant and really suit the filter, the others however just don't suit it and look IMO a little naff :(

Matt
MWHCVT

I have been playing with the demo, it it takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages... is it just me?

1st attempt... Thoughts? (its Big Ben)

bigben5_zps3fd91ae0.jpg

must stop taking magic mushrooms before work.... :LOL:

Some of these are great, although i agree with dave that creative filters don't always work on every photo - they are one weapon in the arsenal, not the one you carry arround in a shoulder holster for daily use

But that's what this section is all about, Dave, 'Creative Photography'!

You didn't do the work... the filter did. If this was all done manually, with an airbrush... fine, but I don't understand how you can use a filter like this, then proudly display your work. You haven't actually done anything except move some sliders... Fractalius has.

Where's the creativity? If it exists, it's with the authors of the application.

Sorry... not trying to be controversial... I just don't see the attraction of creating something like this when you've had to put in so little effort.
Load up an image, move some sliders... voilá. How's that creative?

I think the filter is great and certainly puts something different to perhaps a badly taken photograph and turn it into something more interesting.

Art is an opinion anyway. I think all the "real" expensive art looks rubbish, but thats my opinion.

I must admit I like the effect on certain types of images (ie the fur & feathers type). Is it something I would display in my portfolio? Probably not.
But thanks for sharing your images with us Alex.

You didn't do the work... the filter did. If this was all done manually, with an airbrush... fine, but I don't understand how you can use a filter like this, then proudly display your work. You haven't actually done anything except move some sliders... Fractalius has.

Where's the creativity? If it exists, it's with the authors of the application.

Sorry... not trying to be controversial... I just don't see the attraction of creating something like this when you've had to put in so little effort.

Nothing controversial in what you say David - it is your opinion, and that is fine. However, at the end of the day surely it is about the final image, and that is all that matters, rather than the effort that has gone into it. I have seen before and after photos in my club where the original image was of no interest and not much quality (ie no effort went into the actual taking of the image) - it is purely by manipulation in PS that it has turned into something worth looking at. If the end result looks good, then that is what matters. Judges that come to our club often say that they don't mind how the image was created - they base their judgement on what they see in front of them, rather than worrying about anything else. In the case of my swan photo, I took a fair bit of time when taking the photo to ensure I got good composition in the right light, and I like the original shot, but knowing that swans have been snapped to death, I used the filter to turn it into something more original, and, I think, very eye catching.

My opinion, although I'm not feeling strongly enough about it to turn this into a heated debate, is that it is the end result that really matters, and not the work that goes into producing it, whether that work took two minutes or two hours!

Anyway, here is the original swan - some will prefer it, some won't!

Swan at Bosherston Ponds by rusticalex, on Flickr

Last edited:

Isn't that the same for most images manipulated in Photoshop or similar?

Load up a bland looking image, move some sliders to boost Sats etc add a layer here and there and voila, same user input to some degree?

Fractalius is similar in that you can leave it to do all the work or, change each of the settings

I think the filter is great and certainly puts something different to perhaps a badly taken photograph and turn it into something more interesting.

Art is an opinion anyway. I think all the "real" expensive art looks rubbish, but thats my opinion.

Exactly, every art form is subjective and either floats your boat or not, some people would rave about a 6ft square white canvas with a single black dot in the centre, personally I'd get the white paint out, cover it and start again whether it was worth millions or not :LOL:

Back