First Flickr Explore - Lightning

ACW

Edit My Images
Yes
Streaky Bolts by ACW#, on Flickr

Happy to have had my first Flickr explore this morning.

Had no idea it was selected until I checked my views - I thought there may have been some notification or something.

Wish I was able to get into the field to avoid the foreground grass, but the fence was high and it was absolutely chucking it down!

Thanks for looking.

I would like to see the original image.
This looks like you've went a bit ott with the processing. Did you dodge and burn the sky?
Lots of banding evident in the sky too.

Reactions: ACW
I would like to see the original image.
This looks like you've went a bit ott with the processing. Did you dodge and burn the sky?
Lots of banding evident in the sky too.

It's five images stacked together. It was a rushed edit and it's nowhere near portfolio worthy but I'm happy it got explored nonetheless.

After stacking with starstax (which I'm blaming for the banding) I used an ND grad in lightroom and tried to pull back the highlights. It was definitely a rescue what I can of a blown sky job.

The storm was shifting too quickly to expose for individual bolts - one moment the exposure was OK, and the next strike would be far far brighter.

One straight out of the camera image for you - you can see the difference in power / distance with two bolts that struck at the same time (within the 5 second exposure length):

Untitled1_0008_IMG_5772_2_jpg.jpg

Wow...that's scary!...nicely captured.

Thanks Phillip!

Congratulations on the explore ACW, nice shot. :)

Thank you David :)

Last edited:
Back